- Volume 22 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to develop and validate a Nurse's Character Scale for Care in Clinical settings (NCS_C). Methods: The NCS_C was developed and validated as follows: Item generation, preliminary test of questionnaire, and tests of validity and reliability. One hundred and thirty six preliminary items were developed through a literature review and in-depth interviews by 10 nurse-experts and five patients. The content validity of the items was verified through an evaluation by five nurses and seven professors in the fields of Korean literature, pedagogy and nursing. Finally, 53 items were confirmed through item analysis, factor analysis and validity tests including convergent, discriminant and concurrent validities. Data were analyzed using factor analysis, Pearson correlation coefficients, and Cronbach's alpha. Results: Thirteen factors evolved from the factor analysis, which explained 63.1% of the total variance. The factors referred to the union of two dimensions: the professional dimension and the interpersonal dimension. The internal consistency, Cronbach's alpha, was .95, and reliability of the subscales ranged from .58 to .87. Conclusion: The results of this study suggest that the NCS_C is a reliable and valid primary scale to measure nurses' or students' character level for better care in clinical settings.
- Ahn, B. H. (2005). The characteristics of character education in US schools. Studies in Humanities, 13, 133-169.
- Fayer, P. M., & Machin, D. (2009). Quality of life: Assessment, analysis and interpretation (2nd ed.), West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons.
- Franks, J. (2009). The caring character. Nursing Standard, 23(26), 61.
- Hong, S. H., & Park, K. S. (2002). A study on the personality and job satisfaction of nurse. The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, 8(3), 489-500.
- Jang, K. S. (2000). A study on establishment of clinical career development model of nurses. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Jin, H. S., & Ryu, C. S. (2002). Theoretical review of character virtue factors for character education. Journal of Korean Society for Holistic Education, 6(2), 171-191.
- Josephson Institute of Ethics, LA, Institute for Ethics (2007). Character development seminars. Retrieved March 2, 2015 from Josephson Institute of Ethics Web site: http://charactercounts.org/training/cds.html
- Kang, B. S., & Kim, K. S. (2009). SPSS17.0: Statistical analysis of the social sciences. Seoul: Hannarae Academy.
- Kang, H. C. (2013). A guide on the use of factor analysis in the assessment of construct validity. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, 43(5), 587-594. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.587
- Korean Education Research Association. (1998). Character education. Seoul: Moonumsa.
- Korean Nurse Association, South Korea(2014). Declaration of the ethical code for Korean nurses. Retrieved January 10, 2015, from Korean Nurse Association Web site: http://www.koreanurse.or.kr/about_KNA/ethics.php
- Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training. (2006). Corporate satisfaction level of college education and education and Training for college graduates. (Report No.:06-18-01). Seoul: Korea Government Printing Office.
- Lee, H. S., & Lim, G. H. (2005). SPSS Statistical package for the social sciences. Seoul: Soomoonsa.
- Lee, J. H., & No, H. G. (2000). SPSS/AMOS statistics analysis for nursing and health. Seoul: Soomoonsa.
- Lee, R., Kim, S. H., Lee, K. S., & Seo, M. K. (2012). Development and validation of self-efficacy scale for self-management of breast cancer SESSM-B. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42(3), 385-395. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.3.385
- March, P. L., & McPherson, A. (1996). The important attributes of a nurse from the perspective of qualified and student nurses. Journal of Advanced Nurse, 24(4), 810-816. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1996.25820.x
- Morrison, P. (1991). The caring attitude in nursing practice: a repertory grid study of trained nurses' perceptions. Nurse Education Today, 11(1), 3-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/0260-6917(91)90118-T
- Nightingale, F. (1860). Notes on nursing: what it is and it is not. New York: D. Appleton and Company. Retrieved March 15, 2015 from Web site: http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/12439/pg12439-images.html
- Nursing and Midwifery Council, London (2011). Guidance on professional conduct for nursing and midwifery students (3rd ed.). Retrieved April 10, 2015. from Nursing and Midwifery Council Web site: http://www.cmft.nhs.uk/media/288385/student%20conduct%202011%20code.pdf
- Park, M. L., & Kim, N. C. (2014). Development of a nursing competence measurement scale according to nurse's clinical ladder in general wards. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(3), 257-271. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.257
- Park, S. Y., & Song, Y. S. (2008). Different perceptions on college-graduated employee's competency: HRD practitioners vs. college students. Business Education Research, 10(1), 27-45.
- Park, J. H., & Hwang, H. Y. (2014). Competency assessment of new graduate nurse: development and validation of an instrument. Information, 17(7B), 3455-3465.
- Pearce, E. C. (1953). Nurse and patient: an ethical consideration of human relations. London: Faber and Faber.
- Pearson, Q. M., & Nicholson, J. I. (2000). Comprehensive character education in the elementary school: Strategies for administrators, teachers, and counselors. Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education & Development, 38(4), 243-251. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2164-490X.2000.tb00085.x
- The Federation of Korean Industries. (2008). The appropriate worker who the corporations want(Issue Paper Report No.:FIP-2008-0013). Seoul: Korea Government Printing Office.
- The National Institute of the Korean Language. South Korea (2015). Korean standard unabridged dictionary. Retrieved October 7, 2014, from The National Institute of the Korean Language Web site: http://stdweb2.korean.go.kr/main.jsp
- Varner, J. M. (2011). Character. Alabama Nurse, 38(3), 3.
- Waltz, C. F., Strickland, O. L., & Lenz, E. R. (2010). Measurement in nursing and health research (4th ed.). NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Yang, S. S., Kim, H. J., & Joo, K. P. (2006). A study of companies' perception on university education and their needs. Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training, 9(2), 145-170.
- Influences of Interpersonal Problems and Character of Nurses on Quality of Nursing Service vol.24, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2018.24.5.445
Supported by : 한국연구재단