- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Factors influencing empathy for the elderly in nursing students
간호대학생의 노인에 대한 공감력에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Yang, Hyun Joo (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Kim, Hyun Jung (Department of Nursing, Kyungnam College of Information & Technology) ;
- Byun, Eun Kyung (Department of Nursing, Kyungnam College of Information & Technology)
- Received : 2016.02.17
- Accepted : 2016.05.12
- Published : 2016.05.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the factors influencing empathy with the elderly in student nurses and to provide the basic data on nursing education to improve empathy. Data were collected from 277 student nurses in B and C cities and analyzed by the t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and multiple regression using SPSS WIN 20.0. The degree of empathy with the elderly in the student nurses was
본 연구의 목적은 간호대학생을 대상으로 노인에 대한 지식 및 태도, 촉진적 의사소통, 공감력의 정도를 알아보고 노인에 대한 공감력에 영향을 미치는 요인을 확인하여, 간호교육에서 노인에 대한 공감력을 증진시키기 위한 기초자료를 제공하기 위함이다. 연구대상자는 B시, C시의 간호대학생 277명을 대상으로 하였고, 자료분석은 SPSS WIN/20.0을 이용하여 빈도와 백분율, 평균과 표준편차, t-검정, 일원분산분석, 피어슨 상관계수, 다중회분귀분석을 사용하였다. 연구결과 간호대학생의 노인에 대한 지식은
- Korean National Statistical Office, 2011, "Statistic on Korea-Census population", 2012.
- Y. J. Lee, S. J. Yoo, S. M. Kim, "Study on the attitude toward elderly of nursing students", Korean Journal of Medical Ethics Education, Vol.6, No.2, pp. 199-211, 2003.
- M. .Wallace, P. Greiner, S. Grossman, J. Lange, D. T. Lippman, "Development implementation, and evaluation of a geriatric nurse education program", The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Vol.37, No.5, pp. 214-217, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20060901-09
- J. R. Han, "Undergraduate students' attitudes toward elderly", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol.20, No.3, pp.115-127, 2000.
- Y. S. Lim, J. S. Kim, K. S. Kim, "Nurse aging knowledge attitude", Journal of the Korea Getontological Society, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 31-46, 2002.
- E. J. Song, "Nurses and nursing students' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly", Nursing Science, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 12-19, 2004.
- S. M. Kwon, M. S. Kwon, O. G. Kwag, "Factors influencing the perception of the elderly in nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 1129-1136, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1129
- J. J. Lee, "A study on nurses promoting communication and personal relations", Unpublished Master's thesis, Jeju National University, Jeju, 2003.
- E. Bramhall, "Effect communication skills in nursing practice", Nursing Standard, Vol.29, No.14, pp. 53-59, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns.29.14.53.e93556
- A. Holroyd, S. Dahlke, C. Fehr, P. Jung, A. Hunter, "Attitudes toward aging: implications for a caring profession", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol.48, No.7, pp. 374-380, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090615-04
- S. Park, "Empathy: Yesterday and Today", Changjisa: Seoul, 2004.
- E. T. Buyuk, S. Rizalar, E. Gudek, Z. Guney, "Evaluation of empathetic skills of nurses working inoncology units in Samsun, Turkey", International Journal of Caring Sciences, Vol.8, No.1, pp. 131-139, 2015.
- R. Zachariae, C. G. Pedersen, A. B. Jensen, E. hrnrooth, P. B. Rossen, H. Maase, "Association of perceived physician communication style with patient satisfaction, distress, cancer-related self efficacy and perceived control over the disease", British Journal Cancer, Vol.88, pp. 658-665, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600798
- B. Penprase, B. Oakley, R. Temes, D. Driscoll, Empathy as a determining factor for nursing career selection", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol.52, No.4, pp. 192-197. 2013. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20130314-02
- L. Goubert, K. D. Craig, T. Vervort, S. Morley, M. J. de C Sullivan,. A. C. Williams, A. Cano, G. Crombez, "Facing others in pain: the effects of empathy", Pain, Vol.118, No.3, pp. 285-288, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2005.10.025
- H. S. Jung, "Influencing factor on nursing students' attitude to the elderly", Journal of the Korea Data Analysis Society, Vol.14, No.4B, pp. 2025-2037, 2012.
- J. Yu, M. Kirk, "Evaluation of empathy measurement tools in nursing: Systematic review", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol.65, No.9, pp. 1790-1806, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2009.05071.x
- E. J. Ji, "Influence of nursing professionalism, empathic ability on communication ability in senior nursing student", Journal of the Korea Data Analysis Society, Vol.13, No.3B, pp. 1685-1697, 2015.
- I. Y. Cho, "The relationship of communication skill, communication self-efficacy and communication related educational needs", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.4 pp. 2593-2601. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.4.2593
- S. Y. Yang, "The study on relationship between empathy, ego resilience, and clinical competence of the nursing students", Journal of the Korea Data Analysis Society, Vol.17, No.3B, pp. 1699-1710, 2015.
- J. H. Park, S. K. Chung, "The relationship self-esteem, empathy, communication skill and linical competency of nursing students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No.4, pp. 2593-2601. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7698
- E. J. Oh, S. H. Ko, J. Y. Kim, S. R. Kim, Self-awareness, other-awareness and communication ability in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 426-434, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.4.426
- J. Y. Kim, N. R. Heo, H. J. Jeon, D. Y. Jung, "Effects of simulation education on the communication competence, academic self-efficacy, and attitude about the elderly for nursing students: a learning approach based on an elderly-with-cognition-disorder scenario", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 54-64, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.54
- G. Ancel, "Developing empathy in nurses: An inservice training program", Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, Vol.20, No.6, pp. 249-257, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2006.05.002
- E. B. Plamore, "The facts on aging quiz (2nd ed)", New York, Spinger Publishing Company, 1998.
- G. F. Sanders, J. E. Montgomery, J. F. Pittman, C. Baikwell, "Youth attitudes toward the elderly", Journal of Applied Gerontology, Vol.3, No.1, pp. 59-70, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/073346488400300107
- R. R. Carkhuff, "Helping Human Relation Vol I, II", New York : Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1969.
- J. G. Ma, "Relationship between mothers' facilitative communication and adolescents' personality traits", Unpublished Doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, 1988.
- E. L. La Monica, "Construct validity of an empathy instrument", Research in nursing & health, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 389-440, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770040406
- M. S. Kim, "Reliability and validity of a korean empathy construct rating scale", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 26-33, 1984.
- E. S. Song, "The factors of empathy for older patient in general hospital nurses", Unpublished Master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2015.
- S. Y. Kim, K. M. Yang, H. E. Oh, & J. S. Kim, "Nursing and welfare students' knowledge and attitudes toward the elderly", Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 21-36, 2004.
- Y. Y. Hwang, "A study on clinical practice experience of nursing students in the elderly unit", Vol.11, No.1, pp. 73-85, 2005.
- D. Tuohy, "Student nurse-older person communication, Nurse Education Today", Vol. 23, No.1, pp. 19-26, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0260-6917(02)00160-0
- P. Sully J. Dallas, "Essential communication skills for nursing". Elsevier, Mosby, 2005.
- M. S. Chung, "Relationship on self-esteem, empathy and interpersonal relationship for reinforcing competence in communication of nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education Vol.20, No.2, pp. 332-340, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.332
- C. Ouzouni, & K. Nakakis, "An exploratory study of student nurses' empathy", Health Science Journal, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 534-552, 2012.