- Volume 59 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Structural redundancy of 3D RC frames under seismic excitations
- Massumi, Ali (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kharazmi University) ;
- Mohammadi, Ramin (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kharazmi University)
- Received : 2015.11.15
- Accepted : 2016.03.08
- Published : 2016.07.10
The components of the seismic behavior factor of RC frames are expected to change as structural redundancy increases. Most researches indicate that increasing redundancy is desirable in response to stochastic events such as earthquake loading. The present paper investigated the effect of redundancy on a fixed plan for seismic behavior factor components and the nonlinear behavior of RC frames. The 3D RC moment resistant frames with equal lateral resistance were designed to examine the role of redundancy in earthquake-resistant design and to distinguish it from total overstrength capacity. The seismic behavior factor and dynamic behavior of structures under natural strong ground motions were numerically evaluated as the judging criteria for structural seismic behavior. The results indicate that increasing redundancy alone in a fixed plan cannot be defined as a criterion for improving the structural seismic behavior.
- ATC (1995), A Critical Review of Current Approaches to Earthquake-Resistant Design, ATC-34 Report, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- ATC (1995), Structural Response Modification Factors, ATC-19 Report, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- Bertero, R.D. and Bertero, V.V. (1998), "Redundancy in earthquake-resistant design: how to define it and quantify its effects", Proceedings of 6th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering.
- Bertero, R.D. and Bertero, V.V. (1999), "Redundancy in earthquake-resistant design", J. Struct. Eng., 125, 81-88. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:1(81)
- BHRC (2005), Iranian Code of Practice for Seismic Resistant Design of Buildings, Standard No. 2800-05. 3rd. Edition, Tehran, Building and Housing Research Center.
- Biondini, F., Frangopol, D.M. and Restelli, S. (2008), "On structural robustness, redundancy and static indeterminacy", Proceedings of the 2008 ASCE-SEI Structures Congress, Vancouver.
- Fallah, A.A., Sarvghad-Moghadam, A. and Massumi, A. (2009), "A nonlinear dynamic based redundancy index for reinforced concrete frames", J. Appl. Sci., 9(6), 1065-1073. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2009.1065.1073
- FEMA (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency 356.
- Hashemi, S.S., Tasnimi, A.A. and Soltani, M. (2009), "Nonlinear cyclic analysis of reinforced concrete frames, utilizing new joint element", Scentica iranica, 16(6), 490-501.
- Husain, M. and Tsopelas, P. (2004), "Measures of structural redundancy in reinforced concrete buildings. I:redundancy indices", J. Struct. Eng., 130(11), 1651-1658. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:11(1651)
- Husain, M. and Tsopelas, P. (2004), "Measures of structural redundancy in reinforced concrete buildings. ii:redundancy response modification factor RR", J. Struct. Eng., 130(11), 1659-1666. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:11(1659)
- IBC 2000 (1998), International Building Codes, Inter, Code Council, Falls Church, VA.
- Iranian National Building Code (2010), Design Loads for Buildings, Part 6, INBC, National Building Regulations Office, Tehran, Iran.
- Kalkan, E. and Kunnath, S.K. (2007), "Effective cyclic energy as a measure of seismic demand", J. Earthq. Eng., 11, 725-751. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460601033827
- Liao, K.W. and Wen, Y.K. (2004), "Redundancy in steel moment frame systems under seismic excitation", Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Illinois, August.
- Marhadi, K. and Venkataraman, S. (2009), "Surrogate measures to optimize structures for robust and predictable progressive failure", Struct. Multidisc. Optim., 39, 245-261. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-008-0326-4
- Massumi, A. and Tasnimi, A.A. (2006), "Estimation of response modification factors for RC moment resisting frames", Building and Housing Research Center, Publication R-436, Tehran, Iran.
- Mirenda, E. and Bertero, V.V. (1994), "Evaluation of Strength Reduction Factors For Earthquake-Resistant Design", Earthq. Spectra., 10(2), 357-379. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585778
- Mohammadi, R., Massumi, A. and Meshkat-Dini, A. (2015), "Structural reliability index versus behavior factor in RC frames with equal lateral resistance", Eartheq. Struct., 8(5), 996-1016.
- Okasha, N.M. and Frangopol, D.M. (2010), "Time-variant redundancy of structural systems", J. Struct. Infrastr. Eng., 6, 279-301. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732470802664514
- Park, R. (1989), "Evaluation of ductility of structures and structural assemblages from laboratory testing", Bull. NZ. Nat. Soc. Earthq. Eng., 22(3), 155-166.
- SAP2000 (2010), Version 14.2.0, A Computer Program for Integrated Finite Element Analysis and Design of Structures, University of California, Berkeley.
- Song, S.H. and Wen, Y.K. (2000), "Structural redundancy of dual and steel moment frame systems under seismic excitation", A Report on a Research Project sponsored by the National Science Foundation (Grant NSF EEC-97-01785), University of Illinois at Urbana-Illinois, November.
- Uang, C.M. (1991), "Establishing R and Cd factors for building seismic provisions", J. Struct. Eng., 117(1), 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:1(19)
- Wen, Y.K. and Song, S.H. (2003), "Structural reliability/redundancy under earthquakes", J. Struct. Eng., 12(1), 56-66.
- Yoshihiro, K. and Yakov, B.H. (2011), "Redundancy and robustness, or when is redundancy redundant?", J. Struct. Eng., 137(9), 935-945.. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000416