- Volume 22 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Accurate Pose Measurement of Label-attached Small Objects Using a 3D Vision Technique
3차원 비전 기술을 이용한 라벨부착 소형 물체의 정밀 자세 측정
- Kim, Eung-su (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Kye-Kyung (Intelligent Cognitive Technology Research Department, ETRI) ;
- Wijenayake, Udaya (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Soon-Yong (School of Computer Science and Engineering, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2016.07.26
- Accepted : 2016.09.20
- Published : 2016.10.01
Bin picking is a task of picking a small object from a bin. For accurate bin picking, the 3D pose information, position, and orientation of a small object is required because the object is mixed with other objects of the same type in the bin. Using this 3D pose information, a robotic gripper can pick an object using exact distance and orientation measurements. In this paper, we propose a 3D vision technique for accurate measurement of 3D position and orientation of small objects, on which a paper label is stuck to the surface. We use a maximally stable extremal regions (MSERs) algorithm to detect the label areas in a left bin image acquired from a stereo camera. In each label area, image features are detected and their correlation with a right image is determined by a stereo vision technique. Then, the 3D position and orientation of the objects are measured accurately using a transformation from the camera coordinate system to the new label coordinate system. For stable measurement during a bin picking task, the pose information is filtered by averaging at fixed time intervals. Our experimental results indicate that the proposed technique yields pose accuracy between 0.4~0.5mm in positional measurements and
Grant : 인지기반 제어기술개발 및 다중로봇 협업생산공정 적용 기술 개발
Supported by : 한국산업기술평가관리원, 한국연구재단
- K. Rahardja and A. Kosaka, "Vision-based bin-picking: recognition and localization of multiple complex objects using simple visual cues," Proc. of IEEE/RSJ Intl. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, vol. 3, pp. 1448-1457, 1996.
- F. Boughorbel, Y. Zhang, S. Kang, U. Chidambaram, B. Abidi, A. Koschan, and M. Abidi, "Laser ranging and video imaging for bin picking," Assembly Automation, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 53-59, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/01445150310460097
- M. Berger, G. Bachler, and S. Scherer, "Vision guided bin picking and mounting in a flexible assembly cell," Intelligent Problem Solving. Methodologies and Approaches, pp. 109-117, 2000.
- I. K. Park, M. Germann, M. D. Breitenstein, and H. Pfister, "Fast and automatic object pose estimation for range images on the GPU," Machine Vision and Applications, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 749-766, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00138-009-0209-8
- J. Kirkegaard and T. B. Moeslund, "Bin-picking based on harmonic shape contexts and graph-based matching," Proc. of International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 581-584, 2006.
- W. Y. Chiu, "Dual laser 3D scanner for random bin picking system," Proc. of International Conference on Advanced Robotics and Intelligent Systems, pp. 1-3, 2015.
- D. Buchholz, M. Futterlieb, S. Winkelbach, and F. M. Wahl, "Efficient bin-picking and grasp planning based on depth data," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3245-3250, 2013.
- U. Wijenayake, E. S. Kim, and S. Y. Park, "Stereo vision based 3D pose estimation of product labels," Proc. of 2016 31th ICROS Annual Conference (in Korean), Seoul, pp. 53-54, 2016.
- U. Wijenayake, S. I. Choi, and S. Y. Park, "Stereo vision-based 3D pose estimation of product labels for bin picking," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 8-16, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2016.15.0160
- D. G. Lowe, "Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints," Journal of Computer Vision, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 91-110, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:VISI.0000029664.99615.94
- E. Rublee, V. Rabaud, K. Konolige, and G. Bradski, "ORB: an efficient alternative to SIFT or SURF," Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 13, pp. 2564-2571, 2011.
- Z. Zhang, "A flexible new technique for camera calibration," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1330-1334, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.888718