- Volume 22 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
A Study on Localization Methods for Autonomous Vehicle based on Particle Filter Using 2D Laser Sensor Measurements and Road Features
2D 레이저센서와 도로정보를 이용한 Particle Filter 기반 자율주행 차량 위치추정기법 개발
- Ahn, Kyung-Jae (The Department of Secured Smart Electric Vehicle Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Lee, Taekgyu (The Graduate School of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Kang, Yeonsik (Department of Automotive Engineering, Kookmin University)
- Received : 2016.07.19
- Accepted : 2016.09.08
- Published : 2016.10.01
This paper presents a study of localization methods based on particle filter using 2D laser sensor measurements and road feature map information, for autonomous vehicles. In order to navigate in an urban environment, an autonomous vehicle should be able to estimate the location of the ego-vehicle with reasonable accuracy. In this study, road features such as curbs and road markings are detected to construct a grid-based feature map using 2D laser range finder measurements. Then, we describe a particle filter-based method for accurate positional estimation of the autonomous vehicle in real-time. Finally, the performance of the proposed method is verified through real road driving experiments, in comparison with accurate DGPS data as a reference.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- B. J. Clark and D. M. Bevly, "GPS/INS Integration with Fault Detection and Exclusion in Shadowed Environments," 2008 IEEE/ION Position, Location and Navigation Symposium, pp. 1-8, May 2008.
- S. H. Choi, G. J. Kim, Y. K. Kim, and J. M. Lee, "Outdoor positioning estimation of multi-GPS / INS integrated system by EKF / UPF filter conversion," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1284-1289, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.13.0014
- M. Stubler, J. Wiest, and K. Dietmayer, "Feature-based mapping and self-localization for road vehicles using a single grayscale camera," 2015 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 267-272, Jun. 2015.
- N. Suganuma and D. Yamamoto, "Map based localization of autonomous vehicle and its public urban road driving evaluation," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on System Integration, pp. 467-471, Dec. 2015.
- J. Ziegler, H. Lategahn, M. Schreiber, C. G. Keller, C. Knoppel, J. Hipp, M. Haueis, and C. Stiller, "Video based localization for Bertha," Proc. of the 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 1231-1238, Jun. 2014.
- J. Lim, J. Ahn, X. Jin, J. Lee, H. Ki, and M. Kim, "Video based localization for Bertha," Transactions of Korea Society of Automotive Engineers, pp. 1854-1861, Nov. 2010.
- A. Harati and R. Siegwart, "A new approach to segmentation of 2D range scans into linear regions," 2007 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2083-2088, Oct. 2007.
- Y. Kang, C. Roh, S. B. Suh, and B. Song, "A lidar-based decision-making method for road boundary detection using multiple Kalman filters," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 4360-4368, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2185013
- J. K.Park and T. H. Park, "Autonomous navigation system of mobile robot using laser scanner for corridor environment," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1044-1049, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2015.15.0167
- V. Nguyen, A. Martinelli, N. Tomatis, and R. Siegwart, "A comparison of line extraction algorithms using 2D laser rangefinder for indoor mobile robotics," 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1929-1934, Aug. 2005.
- M. S. Arulampalam, S. Maskell, N. Gordon, and T. Clapp, "A tutorial on particle filters for online nonlinear/non-gaussian bayesian tracking," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 50, no. 2 pp. 174-188, Feb. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/78.978374
- J. W. Park, C. K. Yang, and D. S. Shim, "Particle filter performance for ultra-tightly GPS/INS integration," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 785-791, Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2008.14.8.785
- B. J. Jung, J. H. Park, T. Y. Kim, D. Y. Kim, and H. P. Moon, "Lane marking detection of mobile robot with single laser rangefinder," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 521-525, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2011.17.6.521
- S. W. Jang, J. S. Lee, K. J. Ahn, and Y. Kang, "A study on integration of particle filters and dead reckoning for efficient localization of automated guided vehicles," 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Robotics and Intelligent Sensors, pp. 81-86, Oct. 2015.
- G. A. Borges and M. J. Aldon, "Line extraction in 2D range images for mobile robotics," Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 267-297, Jul. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JINT.0000038945.55712.65
- F. Homm, N. Kaempchen, and D. Burschka, "Fusion of laserscannner and video based lanemarking detection for robust lateral vehicle control and lane change maneuvers," 2011 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 969-974, Jun. 2011.
- S. H. Im, J. H. Im, S. H. Yoo, and G. I. Jee, "Pedestrian safety road marking detection using LRF range and reflectivity," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems (in Korean), vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 62-68, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2012.18.1.062
- S. Thrun, W. Burgard, and D. Fox, Probabilistic robotics, MIT press, 2005.
- S. Thrun, "Probabilistic robotics," Proc. of the 17th Annual Conference on Uncertainty in AI, pp. 511-518, Jun. 2012.
- M. W. Khan, N. Salman, and A. Ali, "A comparative study of target tracking with Kalman filter, extended Kalman filter and particle filter using received signal strength measurements," Proc. of the 2015 International Conference on Emerging Technologies (ICET), pp. 1-6, Dec. 2015.
- I. Rekleitis, G. Dudek, and E. Milios, "Probabilistic cooperative localization and mapping in practice," Proc. of the 2003 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, vol. 2, pp. 1907-1912, Sep. 2003.