- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Thoracic Re-irradiation for Locally Recurrent Lung Cancer
- Aktan, Meryem (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Necmettin Erbakan University) ;
- Kanyilmaz, Gul (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Necmettin Erbakan University) ;
- Koc, Mehmet (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Necmettin Erbakan University) ;
- Aras, Serhat (Department of Radiation Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Necmettin Erbakan University)
- Published : 2016.11.01
Background: Patients with recurrent or progressive lung cancer experience a significant symptom burden, negatively affecting quality of life and reducing life expectancy. Thoracic re-irradiation can be used for palliative treatment to relieve symptoms or as a curative treatment. Methods: Using patient charts, we identified and reviewed 28 cases that had received palliative thoracic re-irradiation for recurrent lung cancer. Results: Before re-irradiation, 32% of patients had stage III non-small cell lung cancer and six had small cell lung cancer. The median interval between treatments was 18.7 months. Median follow-up was 31.2 months from the initial radiotherapy and 5 months after re-irradiation. A better performance status before re-irradiation (<80 vs >80, p=0.09) and a lower overlap 90% isodose (<70 vs >70, p=0.09) showed trends toward improved survival. Grade 1-2 toxicity from re-irradiation was recorded in 12/28 patients, and no grade 3 or 4 acute toxicity was encountered. Conclusion: The role of palliative treatment in survival is not clear but it can provide symptomatic relief in patients, with no high grade toxicity. Further studies with greater patient numbers and longer follow-up times should facilitate determination of the role of this treatment in toxicity and effects on survival.
Re-irradiation;locally recurrent lung cancer;quality of life
- Auperin A, Le Pechoux C, Rolland E, et al (2010). Meta-analysis of concomitant versus sequential radiochemotherapy in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 28, 2181-90 https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.2543
- Cetingoz R, Arican-Alicikus Z, Nur-Demiral A, et al (2009). Is re-irradiation effective in symptomatic local recurrence of non-small cell lung cancer patients? A single institution experience and review of the literature. J BUON, 14, 33-40.
- Chen AM, Phillips TL, Lee NY (2011). Practical considerations in the re-irradiation of recurrent and second primary head-and-neck cancer: who, why, how, and how much?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 81, 1211-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2011.06.1998
- Dizman A, Breuneval MC, Inan GA, et al (2014).Reirradiation with robotic stereotactic body radiotherapy for recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3561-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3561
- Drodge CS, Ghosh S, Fairchild A (2014). Thoracic reirradiation for lung cancer: a literature review and practical guide. Ann Palliat Med, 3, 75-91
- Ebara T, Tanio N, Etoh T, et al (2007). Palliative re-irradiation for in-field recurrence after definitive radiotherapy in patients with primary lung cancer. Anticancer Res, 27, 531-4.
- Green N, Melbye RW (1982). Lung cancer: retreatment of local recurrence after definitive irradiation. Cancer, 49, 865-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19820301)49:5<865::AID-CNCR2820490507>3.0.CO;2-H
- Gressen EL, Werner-Wasik M, Cohn J, et al (2000). Thoracic reirradiation for symptomatic relief after prior radiotherapeutic management for lung cancer. Am J ClinOncol, 23, 160-3.
- Griffioen GH, Dahele M, de Haan PF, et al (2014). High-dose, conventionally fractionated thoracic reirradiation for lung tumors. Lung Cancer, 8, 356-62
- Hopwood P, Stephens RJ (1995). Symptoms at presentation for treatment in patients with lung cancer: implications for the evaluation of palliative treatment. The Medical Research Council (MRC) Lung Cancer Working Party. Br J Cancer, 71, 633-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1995.124
- Jackson MA, Ball DL (1987). Palliative retreatment of locallyrecurrent lung cancer after radical radiotherapy. Med J Aust, 147, 391-4.
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, et al (2010). Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin, 60, 277-300. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20073
- Jeremic B, Videtic GM (2011). Chest reirradiation with external beam radiotherapy for locally recurrent non-small cell lung cancer: a review. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 80, 969-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2011.01.069
- Kramer GW, Gans S, Ullmann E, et al (2004). Hypofractionated external beam radiotherapy as retreatment for symptomatic non-small cell lung carcinoma: an effective treatment?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 58, 1388-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2003.09.087
- Kruser TJ, McCabe BP, Mehta MP, et al (2014). Reirradiation for locoregionally recurrent lung cancer: outcomes in small cell and non-small cell lung carcinoma. Am J Clin Oncol, 37, 70-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e31826b9950
- Malvezzi M, Bertuccio P, Levi F, et al (2013). European cancer mortality predictions for the year 2013. Ann Oncol, 24, 792-800. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdt010
- McAvoy SA, Ciura KT, Rineer JM, et al (2013). Feasibility of proton beam therapy for reirradiation of locoregionally recurrent non-small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol, 109, 38-44 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2013.08.014
- Montebello JF, Aron BS, Manatunga AK, et al (1993). The reirradiation of recurrent bronchogenic carcinoma with external beam irradiation. Am J Clin Oncol, 16, 482-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-199312000-00004
- Okamoto Y, Murakami M, Yoden E, et al (2002). Reirradiation for locally recurrent lung cancer previously treated with radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 52, 390-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(01)02644-X
- Poltinnikov IM, Fallon K, Xiao Y, et al (2005). Combination of longitudinal and circumferential three-dimensional esophageal dose distribution predicts acute esophagitis in hypofractionatedreirradiation of patients with non-small cell lung cancer treated in stereotactic body frame. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 62, 652-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.10.030
- Turrisi AT , Kim K, Blum R, et al (1999). Twice-daily compared with once-daily thoracic radiotherapy in limited small-cell lung cancer treated concurrently with cisplatin and etoposide. N Engl J Med, 340, 265-71. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199901283400403
- Tada T, Fukuda H, Matsui K, et al (2005). Non-small-cell lung cancer: reirradiation for loco-regional relapse previously treated with radiation therapy. Int J Clin Oncol, 10, 247-50. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-005-0501-1
- Trakul N, Harris JP, Le QT, et al (2012). Stereotactic ablative radiotherapy for reirradiation of locally recurrent lung tumors. J Thorac Oncol, 7, 1462-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31825f22ce
- Wu KL, Jiang GL, Qian H, et al (2003). Three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy for locoregionally recurrent lung carcinoma after external beam irradiation: a prospective phase I-II clinical trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 57, 1345-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(03)00768-5