- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Frequency of Delayed Diagnosis of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Pakistan
- Naseer, Rabia (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University College of Dentistry, University of Lahore) ;
- Naz, Iram (Department of Oral Pathology, Islamabad Medical and Dental College) ;
- Mahmood, Muhammad Khurram (HBS Medical and Dental College)
- Published : 2016.11.01
Objectives: To determine the frequency of delayed diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma in our setup; highlighting factors responsible for any delay and their possible relevance to demographic and diagnostic features. Methods: This cross sectional study of six months duration was conducted in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department of the Armed Forces Institute of Dentistry, Rawalpindi, Pakistan. A total of 246 patients, both male and female, having a biopsy proven definitive diagnosis of OSCC were included using a consecutive sampling technique. Delay in diagnosis was assessed from the stated period of time from when the patient first noticed symptoms of disease until a definitive diagnosis was made. We concluded delayed diagnosis if this was more than 40 days. Results: The ages of patients ranged from 27 to 60 years with a mean of
- Akbulut N, Oztas B, Kursun S, Evirgen S (2011). Delayed diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma: a case series. J Med Case Rep, 5, 1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-1947-5-1
- Albuquerque R, Lopez-Lopez J, Mari-Roig A, et al (2011). Oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma (OTSCC): alcohol and tobacco consumption versus non-consumption. A study in a Portuguese population. Braz Dent J, 22, 517-21. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-64402011000600013
- Grobe A, Blessmann M, Hanken H, et al (2014). Prognostic relevance of circulating tumor cells in blood and disseminated tumor cells in bone marrow of patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity. Clin Cancer Res, 20, 425-33. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-13-1101
- Driemel O, Kunkel M, Hullmann M, et al (2007). Diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma and its precursor lesions. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges, 5, 1095-100. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1610-0387.2007.06397.x
- Epstein JB, Gorsky M, Cabay RJ, Day T, Gonsalves W (2008). Screening for and diagnosis of oral premalignant lesions and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: role of primary care physicians. Can Fam Physician, 54, 870-5.
- Huang WC, Chan SH, Jang TH, et al (2014). miRNA- 491-5p and GIT1 serve as modulators and biomarkers for oral squamous cell carcinoma invasion and metastasis. Cancer Res, 74, 751-64. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-13-1297
- Khoo SP, Shanmuhasuntharam P, Mahadzir WM, et al (1998). Factors involved in the diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma in Malaysia. Asia-Pac J Public Health, 10, 49-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/101053959801000111
- Petersen PE (2003). The world oral health report 2003: Continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century-the approach of the WHO global oral health Program. community dent oral opidemiol, 31, 3-24. https://doi.org/10.1046/j..2003.com122.x
- Seoane-Romero JM, Vazquez-Mahia I, Seoane J, et al (2012). Factors related to late stage diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 17, 35-40.
- Shaikh AH, Muhammad T, Rasheed T (2015). Evaluating the correlation between histopathological patterns of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma, age & site. Pak Oral Dental J, 35, 30-2.
- Takata T, Ito H, Ogawa I, et al (1991). Spindle cell squamous carcinoma of the oral region. Virchows Archiv A, 419, 177-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01626345
- Vigneswaran N, Williams (2014). Epidemiologic trends in head and neck cancer and aids in diagnosis. Oral maxillofac Surg clin North Am, 26, 123-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coms.2014.01.001
- Zhong LP, Zhou XJ, Wei KJ, et al (2008) Application of serum tumor markers and support vector machine in the diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue, 17, 457-60.
- Zulfiqar A, Nagi AH, Nasim N (2013). A clinicopathological study of orofacial squamous cell carcinoma in local population. Biomedica, 29, 147-150.