- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Breast Cancer Metastasis Associations with Clinicopathological Characteristics in Mexican Women Younger than 40 Years of Age
- Rosales, Azucena Moreno (Navy General Hospital of High Specialty, SEMAR) ;
- Molina, Miguel Corres (Navy General Hospital of High Specialty, SEMAR) ;
- Moo, Jacqueline Gongora (Navy General Hospital of High Specialty, SEMAR) ;
- Morelos, Pablo Romero (UIMEO-IMSS) ;
- Bandala, Cindy (Neurosciences Department, National Institute of Rehabilitation)
- Published : 2016.11.01
Background: In Mexico, breast cancer (BCa) is in first place regarding cancer mortality and has been established as a priority health issue. The incidence of metastasis from BCa is very high and presents as the principal mortality factor among women younger than 40 years of age. OBJECTIVE. To determine any associations between clinicopathological characteristics and metastasis in Mexican women under 40 years of age. Methods: During the 2010-2015 period, a total of 180 female BCa cases seen at the Navy General High Specialty Hospital, SEMAR, in Mexico City; we collected information on 20 patients with BCa younger than 40 years of age. Statistical analyses were conducted using the Kolmogorov-Smirnov, Students t, Fisher, Chi square, and Mantel-Haenszel tests. Results: The prevalence of women with BCa younger than the age of 40 years during the 2010-2015 period was 13.3%. We found a high frequency of obesity in of these cases (>75%); 100% of obese patients with a history of smoking presented with metastasis (p <0.05). In addition, the hormone phenotype was important; HER2-positive cases were 12 times more likely tto exhibit metastasis (p <0.05), while expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors appeared to be protective. Diabetes mellitus in combination with smoking was also a risk factor for development of metastasis (p <0.05). Conclusion: In this study, we obtained essential data regarding risk of metastasis in young breast cancer cases which could be useful for predicting disease evolution and treatment response.
Breast cancer;metastases;young women;Mexico
- Aktas B, Kasimir-Bauer S, Muller V, et al (2016). Comparison of the HER2, estrogen and progesterone receptor expression profile of primary tumor, metastases and circulating tumor cell in metastatic breast cancer patients. BCM Cancer, 16, 522.
- Anders CK, Johnson R, Litton J, Phillips M, Bleyer A (2009). Breast cancer before age 40 years. Semin Oncol, 36, 237-49. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2009.03.001
- Anders CK, Deal AM, Miller CR, et al (2011). The prognostic contribution of clinical breast cancer subtype, age, and race among patients with breast cancer brain metastases. Cancer, 117, 1602-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25746
- Bandala C, Floriano-Sanchez E, Cardenas-Rodriguez N, Lopez-Cruz J, Lara-Padilla E (2012). RNA expression of cytochrome P450 in Mexican women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2647-53. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2647
- Bandala C, De la Garza-Montano P, Cortes-Algara A, et al (2015). Association of histopathological markers with clinio-pathological factors in Mexican women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 8397-403.
- Cardenas-Sanchez J, Bargallo-Rocha E, Erazo-Valle A, et al (2015). Consenso Mexicano sobre diagnostico y tratamiento del cancer mamario. Gaceta Mexicana de Oncologia, 14, 2-55.
- Chen L, Cook LS, Tang MT, et al (2016). Body mass index and risk of luminal, HER2-overxpressing, and triple negative breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 157, 545-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-016-3825-9
- Connor AE, Baumgartner RN, Rinkston C, Baumgartner KB, (2013). Obesity and risk of breast cancer mortality in hispanic and non-hispanic white women: the New Mexico women's health study. J Womens Health, 22, 368-77. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2012.4191
- Copson E, Eccles B, Maishman T, et al (2013). Prospective observational study of breast cancer treatment outcomes for UK women aged 18-40 years at diagnosis: the POSH study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 105, 978-88. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djt134
- Ferroni P, Riondino S, Buonomo O, et al (2015). Type 2 diabetes and breast cancer: the interplay between impaired glucose metabolism and oxidant stress. Oxid Med Cell Longev, 215, 1-10.
- Gonzalez-Robledo MC, Gonzalez-Robledo LM, Nigenda G, (2013). Public policy-making on breast cancer in Latin America. Rev Panam Salud Publica, 33, 183-9. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1020-49892013000300004
- Gou YJ, Xie DX, Yang KH, et al (2013). Alcohol consumption and breast cancer survival: A Meta-analysis of Cohort Studies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4785-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4785
- Hyndman K, Thomas R, Patterson S, et al (2016). Effectiveness of tobacco intervention education in health professional students' practice: a systematic review protocol. JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep, 14, 78-90.
- Ji XD, Li G, Feng YX, et al (2011). EphB3 is overexpressed in non-small-cell lung cancer and promotes tumor metastasis by enhancing cell survival and migration. Cancer Res, 71, 156-66. https://doi.org/10.1158/1538-7445.AM2011-156
- Johnson RH, Chien FL, Bleyer A, (2013). Incidence of breast cancer with distant involvement among women in the United States, 1976 to 2009. JAMA, 309, 800-5. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.776
- Kheirelseid EH, Boggs JM, Curran C, et al (2011). Younger age as a prognostic indicator in breast cancer a cohort study. BMC Cancer, 11, 383. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-11-383
- Leon-Hernandez SR, Padilla EL, Algara AC, et al (2014). Relation of alcohol/tobacco use with metastasis, hormonal (estrogen and progesterone) receptor status and c-erbB2 protein in mammary ductal carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5709-14. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5709
- Liukkonen S, Leidenius M, Saarto T, Sjostrom-Mattson J, (2011). Breasts cancer in very young women. Eur J Surg Oncol, 37, 1030-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2011.08.133
- O'Connor JP, Boult JK, Jamin Y, et al (2016). Oxygen-enhanced MRI accurately identifies, quantifies, and maps tumor hypoxia in preclinical cancer models. Cancer Res, 76, 787-95. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-15-2062
- Park SY, Kolonel LN, Henderson BE, Wilkens LR, (2012). Dietary fat and breast cancer in postmenopausal women according to ethnicity and hormone receptor status: the multiethnic cohort study. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 5, 216-28. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-11-0260
- Persson M, Simonsson M, Markkula A, et al (2016). Impacts of smoking on endocrine treatment response in a prospective breast cancer cohort. Br J Cancer, 115, 382-90. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2016.174
- Puig-Vives M, Sanchez MJ, Sanchez-Cantalejo J, et al (2013). Distribution and prognosis of molecular breast cancer subtypes defined by inmunohistochemical biomarkers in a spanish population-based study. Gynecol Oncol, 130, 609-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2013.05.039
- Ribnikar D, Ribeiro JM, Pinto D, et al (2015). Breast cancer under age 40: a different approach. Curr Treat Options in Oncol, 16, 16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-015-0334-8
- Robles-Castillo J, Ruvalcaba-Limon E, Maffuz A, Rodriguez-Cuevas S (2011). Breast cancer in Mexican women under 40. Ginecol Obstet Mex, 79, 482-8.
- Rodriguez-Cuevas S, Macias-Martinez CG, Labastida-Almendaro S (2000). Breast cancer in Mexico. Is it a young women disease?. Ginecol Obstet Mex, 68, 185-90.
- Rodriguez-Cuevas S, Macias CG, Franceschi D, Labastida S, (2001). Breast carcinoma presents a decade earlier in Mexican women than in women in the United States or European countries. Cancer, 91, 863-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010215)91:4<863::AID-CNCR1074>3.0.CO;2-Y
- Sachdev JC, Ahmed S, Mirza MM, et al (2010). Does race affect outcomes in triple negative breast cancer?. Breast Cancer (Auckl), 7, 23-33.
- Sciacca L, Vigneri R, Tumminia A, et al (2013). Clinical and molecular mechanisms favoring cancer initiation and progression in diabetic patients. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis, 23, 808-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2013.05.006
- Smigal C, Jemal A, Ward E, et al (2006). Trends in breast cancer by race and ethnicity: update 2006. CA Cancer J Clinic, 56, 168-83. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.3.168
- Starlard-Davenport A, Glover-Collins K, Mahkoul I, et al (2013). Race is not a factor in overall survival in patients with triple negative breast cancer: a retrospective review. Springerplus, 2, 516. https://doi.org/10.1186/2193-1801-2-516
- Stefani ED, Moore M, Aune D, et al (2011). Mate consumption and risk of cancer: a multi-site case-control study in Uruguay. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1089-93.
- Swede H, Sarwar A, Magge A, et al (2016). Mortality risk from comorbidities independent of triple-negative breast cancer status: NCI-SEER-based cohort analysis. Cancer Causes Control, 27, 627-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-016-0736-3
- Villarreal-Garza CM, Hoyos CM, Meza-Herrera V, et al (2013). Pathological characteristics and patterns of recurrence and mortality among young Mexican breast cancer patients. Can Res, 73, 10-2. https://doi.org/10.1158/1538-7445.AM2013-10