- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Anti-Proliferative Effects of Dendrophthoe pentandra Methanol Extract on BCR/ABL-Positive and Imatinib-Resistant Leukemia Cell Lines
- Zamani, Afiqah (School of Health Sciences, University Sains Malaysia) ;
- Jusoh, Siti Asmaa Mat (Department of Haematology, School of Medical Sciences, University Sains Malaysia) ;
- Al-Jamal, Hamid Ali Nagi (School of Diagnostic and Biomedicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sultan Zainal Abidin) ;
- Sul'ain, Mohd Dasuki (School of Health Sciences, University Sains Malaysia) ;
- Johan, Muhammad Farid (Department of Haematology, School of Medical Sciences, University Sains Malaysia)
- Published : 2016.11.01
Background: Imatinib mesylate, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor specifically targeting the BCR/ABL fusion protein, induces hematological remission in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). However, the majority of CML patients treated with imatinib develop resistance with prolonged therapy. Dendrophthoe pentandra (L.) Miq. is a Malaysian mistletoe species that has been used as a traditional treatment for several ailments such as smallpox, ulcers, and cancers. Methods: We developed a resistant cell line (designated as K562R) by long-term co-culture of a BCR/ABL positive CML cell line, K562, with imatinib mesylate. We then investigated the anti-proliferative effects of D. pentandra methanol extract on parental K562 and resistant K562R cells. Trypan blue exclusion assays were performed to determine the IC50 concentration; apoptosis and cell cycle analysis were conducted by flow cytometry. Results: D. pentandra extract had greater anti-proliferative effects towards K562R (
Supported by : Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE)
- Akan Z, I Garip A (2011). Protective role of quercetin: antioxidants may protect cancer cells from apoptosis and enhance cell durability. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4611-4.
- Al-Jamal HA, Jusoh SA, Yong AC, et al (2014). Silencing of suppressor of cytokine signaling-3 due to methylation results in phosphorylation of STAT3 in imatinib resistant BCR-ABL positive chronic myeloid leukemia cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4555-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4555
- Artanti N, Firmansyah T, Darmawan A (2012). Bioactivities evaluation of Indonesian mistletoes (Dendrophthoe pentandra (L.) Miq.) leaves extracts. Int J Appl Pharm Sci Res, 2, 24.
- Asmaa MJ, Al-Jamal HA, Ang CY, et al (2014). Apoptosis induction in MV4-11 and K562 human leukemic cells by Pereskia sacharosa (Cactaceae) leaf crude extract. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 475-81. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.475
- Asmaa MJS, Ali AJH, Farid JM, Azman S (2015). Growth inhibitory effects of crude pomegranate peel extract on chronic myeloid leukemia, K562 cells. Int J Appl Basic Med Res, 5, 100-5. https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-516X.157154
- Dierov J, Dierova R, Carroll M (2004). BCR/ABL translocates to the nucleus and disrupts an ATR-dependent intra-S phase checkpoint. Cancer Cell, 5, 275-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1535-6108(04)00056-X
- DiPaola RS (2002). To arrest or not to G2-M Cell-Cycle arrest. commentary re: A. K. Tyagi et al., silibinin strongly synergizes human prostate carcinoma DU145 Cells to doxorubicin-induced growth inhibition, G2-M Arrest, and apoptosis. Clin Cancer Res, 8, 3311-14.
- Druker BJ, Guilhot F, O'Brien SG, et al (2006). Five-year follow-up of patients receiving imatinib for chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med, 355, 2408-17. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa062867
- Endharti AT, Wulandari A, Listyana A, Norahmawati E, Permana S (2016). Dendrophthoe pentandra (L.) Miq extract effectively inhibits inflammation, proliferation and induces p53 expression on colitis-associated colon cancer. BMC Complement Altern Med, 16, 374. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1345-0
- Greene LM, Kelly L, Onnis V, et al (2007). STI-571 (imatinib mesylate) enhances the apoptotic efficacy of pyrrolo-1, 5-benzoxazepine-6, a novel microtubule-targeting agent, in both STI-571-sensitive and-resistant Bcr-Abl-positive human chronic myeloid leukemia cells. J Pharm ExpTher, 321, 288-97. https://doi.org/10.1124/jpet.106.116640
- Hoffman R, Graham L, Newlands E (1989). Enhanced anti-proliferative action of busulphan by quercetin on the human leukaemia cell line K562. Br J Cancer, 59, 347. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1989.68
- Hsiao CJ, Hsiao G, Chen WL, et al (2014). Cephalochromin induces G0/G1 cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in A549 human non-small-cell lung cancer cells by inflicting mitochondrial disruption. J Nat Prod, 77, 758-65. https://doi.org/10.1021/np400517g
- Ishizu T, Winarno H, Tsujino E, et al (2002). Indonesian medicinal plants. XXIV. stereochemical structure of perseitol K+ complex isolated from the leaves of scurrula fusca (Loranthaceae). Chem Pharm Bull, 50, 489-92. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.50.489
- Mahon FX, Deininger MW, Schultheis B, et al (2000). Selection and characterization of BCR-ABL positive cell lines with differential sensitivity to the tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571: diverse mechanisms of resistance. Blood, 96, 1070-9.
- Melo JV, Barnes DJ (2007). Chronic myeloid leukaemia as a model of disease evolution in human cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 7, 441-53. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2147
- Nowicki MO, Falinski R, Koptyra M, et al (2004). BCR/ABL oncogenic kinase promotes unfaithful repair of the reactive oxygen species?dependent DNA double-strand breaks. Blood, 104, 3746-53. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2004-05-1941
- Payandeh M, Sadeghi M, Sadeghi E (2015). Treatment and survival in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in a chronic phase in west Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7555-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7555
- Potter AJ, Gollahon KA, Palanca BJ, et al (2002). Flow cytometric analysis of the cell cycle phase specificity of DNA damage induced by radiation, hydrogen peroxide and doxorubicin. Carcinogenesis, 23, 389-401. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/23.3.389
- Sawyers CL (1999). Chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med 340, 1330-40. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199904293401706
- Shah NP, Nicoll JM, Nagar B, et al (2002). Multiple BCR-ABL kinase domain mutations confer polyclonal resistance to the tyrosine kinase inhibitor imatinib (STI571) in chronic phase and blast crisis chronic myeloid leukemia. Cancer Cell, 2, 117-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1535-6108(02)00096-X
- Wang B, Liu J, Gong Z (2015). Resveratrol induces apoptosis in K562 cells via the regulation of mitochondrial signaling pathways. Int J Clin Exp Med, 8, 16926-33.
- Weisberg E, Manley PW, Cowan-Jacob SW, et al (2007). Second generation inhibitors of BCR-ABL for the treatment of imatinib-resistant chronic myeloid leukaemia. Nat Rev Cancer, 7, 345-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2126
- Widowati W, Mozef T, Risdian C, et al (2011). The comparison of antioxidative and proliferation inhibitor properties of Piper betle L., Catharanthus roseus [L] G. Don, Dendrophtoe petandra L., Curcuma mangga Val. extracts on T47D cancer cell line. Int Res J Biochem Bio, 1, 22-8.
- Widowati W, Mozef T, Risdian C, et al (2013). Anticancer and free radical scavenging potency of catharanthus roseus, dendrophthoe petandra, piper betle and curcuma mangga extracts in breast cancer cell lines. Oxid Antioxid Med Sci, 2, 137-42. https://doi.org/10.5455/oams.100413.or.038
- William WNJR, Heymach JV, Kim ES, et al (2009). Molecular targets for cancer chemoprevention. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 8, 213-25. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd2663
- Zainuddin NASN, Sul'ain MD (2015). Phytochemical analysis, toxicity and cytotoxicity evaluation of dendropthoe pentandra leaves extracts. Int J Appl Biol Pharm, 6, 109-16.