- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Sexual Rehabilitation Using the PLISSIT Model on Quality of Sexual Life and Sexual Functioning in Post-Mastectomy Breast Cancer Survivors
- Faghani, Safieh (Babol University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ghaffari, Fatemeh (Babol University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.11.01
Background and Objectives: As one of the most common treatments for breast cancer, mastectomy has adverse effects on the quality of sexual life and sexual functioning in the impacted women. Various strategies have therefore been proposed to resolve their sexual problems. The present study was conducted to determine the effect of sexual rehabilitation using the PLISSIT model in post-mastectomy breast cancer survivors. Materials and Methods: The present quasi-experimental study was conducted on a population of post-mastectomy breast cancer survivors and their husbands. Sample size was calculated as 50 each for intervention and non-intervention groups. The former received sexual counseling based on the PLISSIT model consisting of four levels of intervention: permission, limited information, specific suggestion and intensive therapy, presented in four 90-minute sessions. Data were collected using the Sexual Quality of Life-Female (SQOL-F) questionnaire and the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI). Results: No significant differences were observed in the mean quality of sexual life scores between the intervention and control groups (P>0.05) before the intervention; however, a significant difference emerged between the groups after the intervention (P<0.01). Thus the mean score for sexual functioning in the intervention group was
Sexual rehabilitation;the quality of sexual life;sexual functioning;breast cancer;mastectomy
- Abdollahzadeh F, Moradi N, Pakpour V, et al (2014). Un-met Supportive Care Needs of Iranian Breast Cancer Patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3933-38. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3933
- Aizer AA, Chen MH, Mccarth EP, et al (2013). Marital status and survival in patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 31, 3869-76. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.49.6489
- Akbari ME, Khayamzadeh M, Khoshnevis S, Nafisi N, Akbari A (2012). Five and ten years survival in breast cancer patients mastectomies vs. breast conserving surgeries personal experience. Iran J Cancer Prev, 1, 53-6.
- Alder J, Zanetti R, Wight E, et al (2008). Sexual dysfunction after premenopausal stage I and II breast cancer: do androgens play a role? J Sex Med, 5, 1898-906. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.00893.x
- Alvandi Jam A, Afshari A, Talebi M, Abbasi R (2015). The effect of Sexual rehabilitation on (Sexual) quality of life for hemodialysis patients referred to dialysis center in Labafinejad Hospital. Sci J Hamdan Univ Med Sci, 22, 45-52.
- Amori N, Aghajani M, Asgarian FS, Jazayeri M (2016). Epidemiology and trend of common cancers in Iran (2004-2008). Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), doi: 10.1111/ecc.12449.
- Andersen B (1990). How cancer affects sexual functioning. Oncol, 4, 81-8.
- Arroyo JM, Lopez ML (2011). Psychological problems derived from mastectomy: a qualitative study. Int J Surg Oncol, 10, 1-8.
- Ayaz S, Kubilay G (2009). Effectiveness of the PLISSIT model for solving the sexual problems of patients with stoma. J Clin Nurs, 18, 89-98. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02282.x
- Bakht S, Najafi S (2010). Body image and sexual dysfunctions: comparison between breast cancer patients and healthy women. Procedia Soc Behav Sci, 5, 1493-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.314
- Chun N (2011). Effectiveness of PLISSIT model sexual program on female sexual function for women with gynecologic cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs, 41, 471-80. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.471
- Cohen MZ (2004). Using the BETTER model to assess sexuality. Clin J Oncol Nurs, 8, 84-6. https://doi.org/10.1188/04.CJON.84-86
- Desimone M, Spriggs E, Gass JS (2014). Sexual dysfunction in female cancer survivors. Am J Clin Oncol, 37, 101-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/COC.0b013e318248d89d
- Faghani S, Mohammadian R, Rahmani A, et al (2015). Supportive Care Needs of Iranian Cancer Survivors and Relationships with Social Support. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 6339-45. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6339
- Lotfi Kashani F, Vaziri SH, Hajizadeh Z (2014). Sexual skills training, body image and sexual function in breast cancer. Procedia Soc Behav Sci, 159, 288-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.12.374
- Farnam F, Janghorbani M, Raisi F, Merghati-Khoei E (2014). Compare the effectiveness of PLISSIT and sexual health models on women's sexual problems in Tehran, Iran: a randomized controlled trial. J Sex Med, 11, 2679-89. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsm.12659
- Fouladi N, Pourfarzi F, Ali-Mohammadi H, et al (2013). Process of coping with mastectomy: A qualitative study in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2079-84. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.3.2079
- Gilbert E, Ussher JM, Perz J (2010). Sexuality after breast cancer: a review. Maturitas, 66, 397-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2010.03.027
- Goldfarb S, Dickler M, Sit L, et al (2009). Sexual dysfunction in women with breast cancer: prevalence and severity. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, 27, 9558.
- Harirchi I, Montazeri A, Zamani Bidokhti F, Mamishi N, Zendehdel K ( 2012). Sexual function in breast cancer patients: a prospective study from Iran. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 31, 20. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-31-20
- Hatzichristou D, Rosen RC, Broderick G, et al (2004). Clinical evaluation and management strategy for sexual dysfunction in men and women. J Sex Med, 1, 49-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2004.10108.x
- Hazrati M, Poor Keiani M, Abaszade A, Jaafari P(2008). The effect of rehabilitation in quality of life in women after mastectomy. Armaghane danesh, 12, 89-99.
- Hill EK, Sandbo S, Abramsohn E ( 2011). Assessing gynecologic and breast cancer survivors' sexual health care needs. Cancer, 117, 2643-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25832
- Annone JS (1981). PLISSIT therapy.In: Corsini RJ,Hand book of Innovative Psychotherapies, New York, Wiley.
- Khajehaminian F, Ebrahimi M, Kamali M, Dolatshahi B, Younesi SJ (2014). Sexual functioning after mastectomy surgery-A qualitative study. Iran J Breast Dis, 7, 50-8.
- Latini DM, Hart SL, Coon DW, Knight SJ (2009). Sexual rehabilitation after localized prostate cancer: current interventions and future directions. Cancer J, 15, 34-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/PPO.0b013e31819765ef
- Li Q, Gan L, Liang L, Li X, Cai S (2015). The influence of marital status on stage at diagnosis and survival of patients with colorectal cancer. Oncotarget, 6, 7339-47. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.3129
- Maasoumi R, Lamyian M, Khalaj Abadi Farahani F, Montazeri A (2013). Women's perception of sexual socialization in Iran: A qualitative study. J Qualitative Res Health Sci, 2, 221-33.
- Maasoumi R, Lamyian M, Montazeri A (2013). The sexual quality of life-female (SQOL-F) questionnaire: translation and psychometric properties of the Iranian version. Reprod Health, 10, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-4755-10-1
- Mansour SE, Shebl AM, Waheda SM. (2014). The effect of sexual counseling program on pain level and sexual function among women with dyspareunia. Nurse Educ Pract, 5, 208-20.
- Maughan KL, Lutterbie MA, Ham PS (2010). Treatment of breast cancer. Am Fam Physician, 81, 1339-46.
- Mohammadi Kh, Heydari M, Faghihzadeh S (2008). The Female Sexual Function Index (Fsfi): Validation Of The Iranian Version. Payesh, 7, 269-78.
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, et al (2008). Quality of life in patients with breast cancer before and after diagnosis: an eighteen months follow-up study. BMC Cancer, 8, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-1
- Nabila-El S, Marwa A Sh (2015). Effectiveness of application of PLISSIT counseling model on sexuality for breast cancer's women undergoing treatment. American J Nurs Sci, 4, 218-30. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajns.20150404.21
- Nabila-El SS, Nho JH (2013). Effect of PLISSIT model sexual health enhancement program for women with gynecologic cancer and their husbands. J Korean Acad Nurs, 43, 681-9. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.5.681
- Nosrait M, Rahmani A, Naghibi F, Razavi A (2007). A study on the effects of education on marital life satisfaction of women undergone hysterectomy in urmia chosen hospitals, 2008. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac, 5, 129-36.
- Panjari M, Bell RJ, Davis SR (2011). Sexual function after breast cancer. J Sex Med, 8, 294-302. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02034.x
- Poorkiani M, Abbaszadeh A , Hazrati M, et al (2010). The effect of rehabilitation on quality of life in female breast cancer survivors in Iran. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol, 31, 105-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5851.76190
- Pumo V, Milone G, Iacono , et al ( 2012). Psychological and sexual disorders in long-term breast cancer survivors. Cancer Manag Res, 4, 61-5.
- Raggio GA, Butryn ML, Arigo D, Mikorski R, Palmer SC (2014). Prevalence and correlates of sexual morbidity in long-term breast cancer survivors. Psychol Health, 29, 632-50. https://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2013.879136
- Robinson J, Forrest A, Pope-Ellis C, Hargreaves AT (2011). A pilot study on sexuality in rehabilitation of the spinal cord injured: Exploring the woman's perspective. S Afr J Occup Ther, 41, 13-17.
- Rosen R, Brown C, Heiman J (2000). The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function. J Sex Marital Ther, 26, 191-208. https://doi.org/10.1080/009262300278597
- Rostamkhani F, Ozgoli G, Khoei EM, Jafari F, Majd HA (2012). Effectiveness of the PLISSIT-based counseling on sexual function of women. J Nurs Midwifery Shahid Beheshti Univ Med Sci, 22, 1-9.
- Rostamkhani F, Jafari F, Ozgoli G, Shakeri M (2015). Addressing the sexual problems of Iranian women in a primary health care setting: A quasi-experimental study. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res, 20, 139-46.
- Rutte A, Van Oppen P, Nijpels G ( 2015). Effectiveness of a PLISSIT model intervention in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in primary care: design of a cluster-randomised controlled trial. BMC Fam Pract, 16, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-014-0212-7
- Sharif F, Abshorshori N, Hazrati M, Tahmasebi S, Zare N (2012). Effect of peer-lead education on quality of life of mastectomy patients. Health Qual Life Outcomes, 11, 703-10.
- Speck RM, Gross CR, Hormes JM, et al (2010). Changes in the body image and relationship scale following a one-year strength training trial for breast cancer survivors with or at risk for lymphedema. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 121, 421-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-009-0550-7
- Torre La, Bray F, Siegel RL, et al ( 2015). Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 65, 87-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21262
- Tutuncu B, Yildiz H (2012). The influence on women's sexual functions of education given according to the PLISSIT model after hysterectomy. Procedia Soc Behav Sci, 47, 2000-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.06.939
- Ussher JM, Perz J, Gilbert E (2012). Changes to sexual well-being and intimacy after breast cancer. Cancer Nurs, 35, 456-65. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3182395401
- Van Meijel B, Gamel C, Van Swieten-Duijfjes B, Grypdonck MH (2004). The development of evidence-based nursing interventions: methodological considerations. J Adv Nurs, 48, 84-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03171.x
- Vaziri S, Lotfi Kashani F (2012). Sexuality after breast cancer: need for guideline. Iran J Cancer Prev, 5, 10-5.
- Wang F, Chen F, Huo X , et al ( 2013). A neglected issue on sexual well-being following breast cancer diagnosis and treatment among Chinese women. PLoS One, 8, 1-7.