- Volume 17 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Suicide Risk in Advanced Cancer Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study
- Park, Sun A (Division of Nursing Science, Suwon University) ;
- Chung, Seung Hyun (Rehabilitation Medicine, Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center) ;
- Lee, Youngjin (Department of Nursing, Korea National University of Transportation Republic of Korea)
- Published : 2016.11.01
The study aimed to find out to what degree suicidal thoughts and associated factors affect the suicide risk of advanced cancer patients. The frequency of suicidal thoughts among patients with cancer, especially in the advanced stages, is about 3 times greater than the adult average in South Korea. We recruited 457 participants with four types of cancers (colon, breast, cervical, and lung) using stratified sampling. Data collection was carried out through one-on-one interviews by trained nurses using a structured questionnaire. Advanced cancer patients with high, vs. low, levels of anxiety and pain had a higher suicide risk. In contrast, having one's spouse as the primary care provider was associated with a low suicide risk. Overall, the three factors of anxiety, pain, and the primary caregiver being one's spouse explained 17.2% of the variance in suicide risk. In conclusion, we derived influencing factors of suicide risk using a sample of patients with various types of advanced cancer. The results provide systematic baseline data for preparing nurse-led interventions to prevent suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts among advanced cancer patients.
Advanced cancer;suicide risk;anxiety;depression;pain;performance status
Supported by : National Cancer Center
- Ahn MH, Park S, Lee HB, et al (2015). Suicide in cancer patients within the first year of diagnosis. Psychooncology, 24, 601-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3705
- Akizuki N, Shimizu K, Asai M, et al (2015). Prevalence and predictive factors of depression and anxiety in patients with pancreatic cancer: a longitudinal study. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 46, 71-7.
- American Cancer Society (2014). Advanced cancer [Online]. American Cancer Society. Available: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003082-pdf.pdf [Accessed December 21 2015].
- Anderson ME, Myhre MR, Suckow D, et al (2015). Screening and Assessment of Suicide Risk in Oncology. Handbook of Oncology Social Work: Psychosocial Care for People with Cancer, 147.
- Chambers SK, Smith DP, Berry M, et al (2013). A randomised controlled trial of a mindfulness intervention for men with advanced prostate cancer. BMC Cancer, 13, 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-13-1
- Chang VT, Hwang SS, Feuerman M, et al (2000). The Memorial Symptom Assessment Scale Short Form (MSAS-SF). Cancer, 89, 1162-71. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20000901)89:5<1162::AID-CNCR26>3.0.CO;2-Y
- Chehil S, Kutcher SP (2015). Suicide risk management : a manual for health professionals. Hakjisa, Seoul.
- Conwell Y (2009). Suicide prevention in later life: a glass half full, or half empty? Am J Psychiatry, 166, 845-8. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2009.09060780
- Costanzo E, Lutgendorf S, Mattes M, et al (2007). Adjusting to life after treatment: distress and quality of life following treatment for breast cancer. Br J Cancer, 97, 1625-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604091
- Faller H, Brahler E, Harter M, et al (2015). Performance status and depressive symptoms as predictors of quality of life in cancer patients. A structural equation modeling analysis. Psychooncology, 24, 1456-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3811
- Gouveia L, Lelorain S, Bredart A, et al (2015). Oncologists' perception of depressive symptoms in patients with advanced cancer: accuracy and relational correlates. BMC Psychol, 3, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40359-015-0059-2
- Jadoon NA, Munir W, Shahzad MA, et al (2010). Assessment of depression and anxiety in adult cancer outpatients: a cross-sectional study. BMC Cancer, 10, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-1
- Kamen BA (2010). Clinical aspects of pharmacogenetics of pain and co-morbidities of emotional distress. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 27-30.
- Kim HK, Ko SH, Chung SH (2010). Suicidal ideation and risk factors among the elderly in Korea. J Korean Public Health Nurs, 24, 82-92.
- Kim JP, Hyun MY (2013). Depression and suicidal ideation in elders with dementia. J Korean Acad Nu, 43, 296-303. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.296
- Kirkova J, Davis MP, Walsh D, et al (2006). Cancer symptom assessment instruments: a systematic review. J Clin Oncol, 24, 1459-73. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.02.8332
- Ko JU, Kim SB (2011). A study of influence factors on the suicidal tendency of elderly living alone. Health Soci Sci, 30, 29-48.
- Statistic KOREA. (2014). Cause of Death Statistics Yearbook [Online]. Available: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_pi/6/4/index.action?bmode=read&seq=487 [Accessed Dec 30 2015].
- Krebber A-MH, Leemans CR, de Bree R, et al (2012). Stepped care targeting psychological distress in head and neck and lung cancer patients: a randomized clinical trial. BMC Cancer, 12, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-1
- Lee SJ, Park JH, Park BY, et al (2013a). Depression and suicide ideas of cancer patients and influencing factors in South Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer prev, 15, 2945-50.
- Lee Y, Kim C-M, Linton JA, et al (2013b). Association between spiritual well-being and pain, anxiety and depression in terminal cancer patients: a pilot study. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care, 16, 175-82. https://doi.org/10.14475/kjhpc.2013.16.3.175
- Maneeton B, Maneeton N, Mahathep P (2012). Prevalence of depression and its correlations: a cross-sectional study in Thai cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer prev, 13, 2039-43. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2039
- Meyer RE, Salzman C, Youngstrom EA, et al (2010). Suicidality and risk of suicide--definition, drug safety concerns, and a necessary target for drug development: a consensus statement. J Clin Psychiatry, 71, 1-21.
- Oh S, Min K, Park D (1999). A study on the standardization of the hospital anxiety and depression scale for Koreans: A comparison of normal, depressed and anxious groups. J Korean Neuropsychiatr Assoc, 38, 289-96.
- Oken MM, Creech RH, Tormey DC, et al (1982). Toxicity and response criteria of the eastern cooperative oncology group. Am J Clin Oncol, 5, 649-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-198212000-00014
- World Health Organization (2014). Preventing suicide: A global imperative, world health organization.
- Pinquart M, Duberstein PR (2010). Depression and cancer mortality: a meta-analysis. Psychol Med, 40, 1797-810. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291709992285
- Ryu S-M, Seong J-S, Juan XL, et al (2012). Relationship between mental health status and suicidal thinking among cancer patients. Korean J Rehabil Nurs, 15, 39-46. https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2012.39
- Shahriary S, Shiryazdi SM, Shiryazdi SA, Mostafaie N (2014). Oncology nurses knowledge and attitudes regarding cancer pain management. Asian Pac J Cancer prev, 16, 7501-6.
- Sheehan DV, Lecrubier Y, Sheehan KH, et al (1998). The mini-international neuropsychiatric interview (MINI): the development and validation of a structured diagnostic psychiatric interview for DSM-IV and ICD-10. J Clin Psychiatry, 59, 22-33.
- Tanriverdi D, Cuhadar D, Ciftci S (2013). Does the impairment of functional life increase the probability of suicide in cancer patients? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9549-53.
- Traeger L, Greer JA, Fernandez-Robles C, et al (2012). Evidence-based treatment of anxiety in patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 30, 1197-205. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.39.5632
- Vyssoki B, Gleiss A, Rockett IR, et al (2015). Suicide among 915,303 Austrian cancer patients: Who is at risk? J Affect Disord, 175, 287-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2015.01.028
- Weber D, Grundel M, Mehnert A (2015). Psycho-oncology and palliativecare: two concepts that fit into comprehensive cancer care. in palliative care in oncology. Springer, 229-45
- Yoo S, Kim Y, Noh J, et al (2006). Validity of korean version of the mini-international neuropsychiatric interview. Anxiety Mood, 2, 50-5.
- Zabora J, BrintzenhofeSzoc K, Curbow B, et al (2001). The prevalence of psychological distress by cancer site. Psychooncology, 10, 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1611(200101/02)10:1<19::AID-PON501>3.0.CO;2-6
- Zigmond A, Snaith R (1983). The hospital anxiety and depression scale. Acta Psychiatr Scand, 67, 361-70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0447.1983.tb09716.x
- Zwerenz R, Beutel ME, Imruck BH, et al (2012). Efficacy of psychodynamic short-term psychotherapy for depressed breast cancer patients: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. BMC Cancer, 12, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-1