- Volume 17 Issue 10
Objectives: Lung cancer is a major public health problem and one of the most costly illnesses. The study aimed to estimate the economic burden of lung cancer in Iran in 2014. Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted to estimate the direct and indirect costs for patients with lung cancer using a prevalence-based approach. A human capital approach was employed to estimate the indirect costs. Data were obtained from several sources such as through patient interview using structured questionnaire, medical records, the GLOBOCAN databases, the Iranian Statistical Center, the Iranian Ministry of Cooperation, Labor and Social Welfare, and the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME). Results: The economic burden of lung cancer in Iran in the year 2014 was 3,225,998,555,090 IR. The main components of the cost were associated with mortality (81.9 %) and hospitalization (7.6 %). The costs of direct medical care, non-medical aspects, patient time, and mortality accounted for 10.8%, 2.7%, 4.5%, and 81.5% of the total cost, respectively. Conclusion: Findings from this study indicated that the economic burden of lung cancer is substantial both to Iran's health system and to society as a whole. Early diagnosis, strengthening cancer prevention, implementing new cancer therapy and medical technology, and effective smoking-cessation interventions could offset some of the costs associated with lung cancer in Iran.
lung cancer;prevalence approach;economic burden;Iran
- American Cancer Society (2010). Cancer facts and figures 2006. http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/CAFF2006PWSecured.pdf
- Ministry of health and medical education. Diagnostic and treatment services tariffs in public and private sectors (2012). 1 st ed , Rahavard ,Tehran, Iran, (inpersion).
- Akbarzadehbaghban A, Esmaeili M, Kimiafar K (2009). Medical information management and assessment of direct costs of treatment of lung cancer. Health Inf Manage, 5, 151-8.
- Akbari-Sari A, Rezaei S, Arab M, et al (2016). Effects of Smoking on cost of hospitalization and length of stay among patients with lung cancer in Iran: a hospital based study.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 17, 4421-26.
- Arrieta O, Quintana-Carrillo RH, Ahumada-Curiel G, et al (2015). Medical care costs incurred by patients with smoking-related non-small cell lung cancer treated at the National Cancer Institute of Mexico. Tob Induc Dis, 12, 1.
- Bab S, Abdifard E, Moradi Y, Faraj A, Heidari M (2016). Lung cancer incidence trends in Iran and in six geographical regions of the country (2000-2005). Shiraz E-Medical Journal. 17, e38237.
- Bazyar M, Akbari F, Mahmoudi M (2012). Medical and non-medical direct costs of cancers in patients hospitalized in Imam Khomeini cancer institution-2010. Hospital, 11, 39-50.
- Daroudi R, Sari AA , Nahvijou A, et al (2015). The Economic burden of breast cancer in Iran. Iran J Public Health, 44, 1225-33.
- Doshmangir L, Rashidian A, Akbari SA (2012). Unresolved issues in medical tariffs: challenges and respective solutions to improve tariff system in Iranian health sectors. Hospital 4 , 21-30.
- Goodwin PJ, Shepherd FA (1998). Economic issues in lung cancer: a review. J Clin Oncol, 16, 3900-12. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19184.108.40.20600
- Gordon LG, Ferguson M, Chambers SK, Dunn J (2009). Fuel, beds, meals and meds: out-of-pocket expenses for patients with cancer in rural Queensland. Cancer Forum. Cancer Council Australia, 33, 206-13.
- HodgsonT, Rice D (1982). Economic impact of cancer in the United States. Cancer epidemiology and prevention. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA: 208-28.
- Khorasani S, Rezaei S, Rashidian H, Daroudi R (2015). Years of potential life lost and productivity costs due to premature cancer-related mortality in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 16, 1845-50. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1845
- Kim SG, Hahm MI, Choi KS, et al (2008). The economic burden of cancer in Korea in 2002. Eur J Cancer Care, 17, 136-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2007.00818.x
- Kim SY, Kim SG, Park JH, Park EC (2009). Costs of initial cancer care and its affecting factors. J Prev Med Public Health, 42, 243-50. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2009.42.4.243
- Kutikova LL, Bowman S, Chang SR, et al(2005). The economic burden of lung cancer and the associated costs of treatment failure in the United States. Lung Cancer, 50, 143-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2005.06.005
- Longo CJ (2005). Characteristics of cancer patients' out-of-pocket costs in Ontario. J Clin Oncol, 22, 8251-51.
- Luengo-Fernandez R, Leal J, Gray A, Sullivan R (2013). Economic burden of cancer across the european union: a population-based cost analysis. Lancet Oncol, 14, 1165-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70442-X
- Max W, Rice DP, Sung HY, Michel M (2004). Valuing human life: estimating the present value of lifetime earnings, 2000. Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education. UC San Francisco: Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education. Retrieved from: http://escholarship.org/uc/item/82d0550k
- Mehrabi S, Delavari A, Moradi G, et al (2007). Smoking among 15-to 64-year-old Iranian people in 2005. Iran J Epidemiol, 3, 1-9.
- Mohagheghi MA, Mousavi-Jarrahi Y, Mosavi-Jarrahi A (2011). Cost of care for lung cancer in the first year after diagnosis in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1013-15.
- Molinier L C, Combescure C, Chouaid C, et al(2006). Cost of Lung Cancer. Pharmacoeconomics, 24, 651-59. https://doi.org/10.2165/00019053-200624070-00004
- Pakzad R, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015). The incidence and mortality of lung cancer and their relationship to development in Asia. Transl Lung Cancer Res, 4, 763-74.
- Rezaei S, Akbari- Sari A, Arab M, Majdzadeh R, Mohammadpoorasl A (2015). Estimating economic burden of cCancer deaths attributable to smoking in Iran in 2012. J Res Health Sci, 15, 228-33.
- Warren JL, Yabroff KR, Meekins A, et al (2008). Evaluation of trends in the cost of initial cancer treatment. J Natl Cancer Inst, 100, 888-97. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn175
- WOH (2006). Injuries, violence and disabilities biennial report, 2004-2005. prevention and control. vi, 59 p. Geneva : World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/43440
- Yabroff KR, Lamont EB, Mariotto A, et al (2008). Cost of care for elderly cancer patients in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst, 100, 630-41. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn103
- Yabroff KR, Lund J, Kepka D, Mariotto A (2011). Economic burden of cancer in the United States: estimates, projections, and future research. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 20, 2006-14. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-11-0650