- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Factors in Stage III Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients
- Urvay, Semiha Elmaci (Acibadem Hospitals Group) ;
- Yucel, Birsen (Cumhuriyet Univercity Medical Oncology Deparment) ;
- Erdis, Eda (Cumhuriyet Univercity Medical Oncology Deparment) ;
- Turan, Nedim (Cumhuriyet Univercity Medical Oncology Deparment)
- Published : 2016.10.01
Aim: The objective of this study is to investigate prognostic factors affecting survival of patients undergoing concurrent or sequential chemoradiotherapy (CRT) for stage III non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCL). Methods and materials: We retrospectively reviewed the clinical records of 148 patients with advanced, inoperable stage III NSCLC, who were treated between 2007 and 2015. Results: The median survival was found to be 19 months and 3-year overall survival was 27%. Age (<65 vs
Non-small lung cancer;prognostic factors;survival
- Blanchon F, Grivaux M, Asselain B, et al (2015). 4-year mortality in patients with non-small cell lung cancer: Development and validation of a prognostic index. Lancet Oncol, 16, 187-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(14)71207-0
- Abbasi S, Badheeb A (2011). Prognostic factors in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients:patient characteristics and type of chemotherapy. lung Cancer Int, 2011, 1-4.
- Arslan D, Bozcuk H, Gunduz S, et al (2014). Survival Results and Prognostic Factors in T4 NO-3 non-small cell lung cancer patients according to the AJCC 7th edition staging system. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2465-72 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2465
- Bradley JD, Paulus R, Komaki R, et al (2015). Standart-dose versus high dose conformal radiotherapy with concurrent and consolidaiton carboplatine plus paclitaxel with or without cetuximab for patients with stage IIIA or III B non-small cell lung cancer (RTOG 0617): a randomised, two-by-two factorial phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol, 16, 187-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(14)71207-0
- Capewell S, Sudlow MF (1990). Performance and prognosis in patients with lung cancer. Thorax, 45, 951-6. https://doi.org/10.1136/thx.45.12.951
- Coate LE, Massey C, Hope A, et al (2011). Treatment of the elderly when cure is the goal: the influence of age on treatment selection and efficacy for stageIII non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol, 6, 537-44. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31820b8b9b
- Auperin A, Le Pechoux C, Rolland E, et al (2010). Meta-analysis of concomitant versus sequential radiochemotherapy in locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J C Oncol, 28, 2181-90. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.26.2543
- Birim O, Kappetein AP, Van Klaveren RJ, et al (2006). Prognostic factors in non-small cell lung cancer surgery. Eur J Surg Oncol, 32, 12-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2005.10.001
- Curran WJ-Jr, Paulus R, Langer CJ, et al (2011).Sequential vs.Concurrent Chemoradiation for stage III non-small cell lung cancer: randomised phase III trial RTOG 9410. J Natl Cancer Inst, 103, 1452-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr325
- Dillman RO, Herndon J, Seagren SL,et al (1996). Improved survival in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: seven year follow up of cancer and leukemia group B (CALGB)8433 trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 88, 1210-5 https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/88.17.1210
- Feld R, Borges M, Giner V, et al (1994). Prognostic factors in non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer Nov, 3, 19-23.
- Fentiman IS, Tirelli U, Monfardini S, et al (1990). Cancer inthe elderly: why so badly treated? Lancet, 335, 1020-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(90)91075-L
- Finkelstein D, Ettinger DS, Ruckdeschel JC (1986). Long-Term Survivors in Metastatic Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Study. J Clin Oncol, 4, 702-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19126.96.36.1992
- Furuse K, Fukuoka M, Kawahara M, et al (1999). Phase III study of concurrent versus sequential thoracic radiotherapy in combination with mitomycin, vindesine and cisplatin in unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 17, 2692-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.19188.8.131.5292
- Furuse K, Hosoe S, Masuda N, et al (2000). Impact of tumor control on survival in unresectable stage III non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) treated with concurrent thoracic radiotherapy and chemotherapy (abstract). Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol, 29, 90-6.
- Gaspar LE, Chansky K, Albain KS et al (2005). Time from treatment to subsequent diagnosis of brain metastases in stage III non-small-cell lung cancer: a retrospective review by the Southwest Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol, 23, 2955-61. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.08.026
- Gregory MM, Videtic Larry W, Stitt A, et al (2003). continued cigarette smoking by patients receiving Cconcurrent chemoradiotherapy for limited-stage small-cell lung cancer is associated with decreased survival. J Clin Oncol, 21, 1544-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.10.089
- Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2013, National Cancer Institute.
- Langer C, Scott C, Byhardt R, et al (2000) Effect of advanced age on outcome in Radiation Therapy Oncology Group studies of locally advanced NSCLC (LA-NSCLC). Lung Cancer, 29, 104-10.
- Movsas B, Scott C, Sause W, et al (1999) The benefit of treatment intensification is age and histology-dependent in patients with locally advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer (nsclc): a quality-adjusted survival analysis of radiation therapy oncology group (RTOG) chemoradiation studies. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 45, 1143-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(99)00325-9
- Mutlu H, Buyukcelik A, Erden A, et al (2013). Staging with PET-CT in patients with locally advanced non small cell lung cancer is superior to conventional staging methods in terms of survival. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3743-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3743
- O'Rourke N, Roque I Figuls M, Farre Bernado N, et al (2010). Concurrent chemoradiotherapy in non-small cell lung cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 16, CD002140.
- Perez CA, Pajak TF, Rubin P, et al (1987). Long term observations of the patterns of failure in patients with unresectable non-oat cell carcinoma of the lung treated with definitive radiotherapy. report by the radiation therapy oncology group. Cancer, 59, 1874-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19870601)59:11<1874::AID-CNCR2820591106>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Piccirillo JF, Tierney RM, Costas I, et al (2004). Prognostic importance of comorbidity in a hospital-based cancer registry. JAMA, 291, 2441-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.291.20.2441
- Sause W, Kolesar P, Taylor S IV, et al (2000).Final results of phase III trial in regionally advanced unresectable non-small cell lung cancer: radiation therapy oncology group, eastern cooperative oncology group and southwest oncology group. Chest, 117, 358-64. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.117.2.358
- Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer Statics, 2015. CA Cancer J Clin, 65, 5-29 https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21254
- Tsujino K, Kurata T, Yamamoto S, et al (2013). Is consolidation chemotherapy after concurrent chemo-radiotherapy beneficial for patients with locally advanced non-small-cell lung cancer?A pooled analyses of the literature. J Thorac Oncol, 8, 1181-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e3182988348
- Van Baardwijk A, Wanders S, Boersma L, et al (2010). Mature results of an individualized radiation dose prescription study based on normal tissue constraints in stages I to III non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 28, 1380-6. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2009.24.7221
- Vansteenkiste JF, De Leyn PR, Deneffe GJ, et al (1997). Survival and prognostic factors in resected N2 non-small cell lung cancer: a study of 140 cases. Ann Thorac Surg, 36, 1441-50.
- Vokes EE, Herndon JE, Kelly MJ, et al (2007). Induction chemotherapy followed by chemoradiotherapy compared with chemoradiotherapy alone for regionally advanced unresectable stage III non-small-cell lung cancer. cancer and leukemia group B. J Clin Oncol, 25, 1698-704. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.07.3569
- Wolf M, Holle R, Gropp C, et al (1991). Analysis of prognostic factors in 766 patients with small cell lung cancer (SCLC): the role of sex as a predictor for survival. Br J Cancer, 63, 986-92. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1991.215
- Wahbah M, Boroumand N, Castro C, et al (2007).Changing trends in the distribution of the histologic types of lung cancer: a review of 4,439 cases. Ann Diagn Pathol, 11, 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2006.04.006