- Volume 17 Issue 10
Purpose: To study the clinical application value of ultrasound guided thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy and thinprep cytology testing in diagnosis of thyroid disease. Methods: A total of 78 patients with thyroid nodules were enrolled, 34 males and 44 females, aged 33-64 years old with mean age of 47.6 years. All underwent thyroid module fine needle puncture after surgery to assess cell pathology and histopathological features. Results: Sufficient specimens were obtained from all of 78 patients, the cytological results of 73 cases (93.6 %) being consistent with pathological results. While 20 cases (25.6 %) were malignant tumors, 44 (56.4 %) were benign and 9 (11.5 %) were non-tumor lesions. The sensitivity of benign and malignant thyroid nodule by thyroid fine needle puncture was 90.9 %, specificity was 98.1 % and the positive predictive value was 96.3 %. Conclusions: It is demonstrated that ultrasound-guided thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsy and thinprep cytology testing have diagnostic value in clinical application for thyroid disease,showing good diagnostic coincidence rates with histopathological examination. They can thus be regarded as safe and effective for preoperative diagnosis and providing an appropriate basis for selection of surgery.
Ultrasound guided;thyroid nodule;fine needle aspiration biopsy;thinprep cytology test;histopathology
- American Thyroid Association Guidelines Taskforce on Thyroid N Differentiated Thyroid C, Cooper DS, Doherty GM, et al (2009). Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid, 19, 1167-214. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2009.0110
- Andrioli M, Persani L (2014). Elastographic techniques of thyroid gland: current status. Endocr, 46, 455-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-014-0178-1
- Cesur M, Corapcioglu D, Bulut S, et al. (2006). Comparison of palpation-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy to ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the evaluation of thyroid nodules. Thyroid, 16, 555-61. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2006.16.555
- Cusick EL, MacIntosh CA, Krukowski ZH, et al (1990). Management of isolated thyroid swellings: a prospective six year study of fine needle aspiration cytology in diagnosis. Br Med J, 301, 318-21. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.301.6747.318
- Danese D, Sciacchitano S, Farsetti A, et al (1998). Diagnostic accuracy of conventional versus sonography-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules. Thyroid, 8, 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.1998.8.15
- Frost AR, Sidawy MK, Ferfelli M, et al (1998). Utility of thin-layer preparations in thyroid fine-needle aspiration: diagnostic accuracy, cytomorphology, and optimal sample preparation. Cancer, 84, 17-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980225)84:1<17::AID-CNCR4>3.0.CO;2-C
- Shi B (2010). Standardization of management of thyroid nodule and cancer should be vigorously implemented. Chin J End Met, 26, 833-34.
- Tae HJ, Lim DJ, Baek KH, et al (2007). Diagnostic value of ultrasonography to distinguish between benign and malignant lesions in the management of thyroid nodules. Thyroid, 17, 461-6. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2006.0337
- Yang J, Schnadig V, Logrono R, et al (2007). Fine-needle aspiration of thyroid nodules: a study of 4703 patients with histologic and clinical correlations. Cancer, 111, 306-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22955
- Zhang J, Chen Z, Anil G. (2015). Ultrasound-guided thyroid nodule biopsy: outcomes and correlation with imaging features. Clin Imaging, 39, 200-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2014.10.019
- Zhao Y. (2010). The current status on ultrasonic diagnosis of thyroid carcinoma. Med Rec, 16, 835-37.
- Zheng JY, Bai T, Zhang YF, et al. (2010). [Cytology diagnosis and clinical management of fine-needle aspiration for thyroid nodules]. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi, 39, 349-52.