- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Survival Rate of Breast Cancer in Iran: A Meta-Analysis
- Abedi, Ghasem (Health Sciences Research Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Janbabai, Ghasem (Cancer Research Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Moosazadeh, Mahmood (Health Sciences Research Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Farshidi, Fereshte (Health Sciences Research Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Amiri, Mohammad (Department of Public Health, School of Public Health, Shahroud University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Khosravi, Ahmad (Center for Health Related social and Behavioral Sciences Research Shahroud University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.10.01
Background: There has not been a general estimation about survival rates of breast cancer cases in Iran. Therefore, the present study aimed to assess survival using a meta-analysis. Materials and Methods: International credible databases such as Scopus, Web of Science, PubMed, Science direct and Google Scholar and Iranian databases such as Magiran, Irandoc and SID, from 1997 to 2015 were searched. All articles covering survival rate of breast cancer were entered into the study without any limits. Quality assessment of the articles and data extraction were performed by two researchers using the modified STROBE checklist, which includes 12 questions. Articles with scores greater than 8 were included in the analysis. A limitation of this meta-analysis was different methods for presenting of results in the papers surveyed. Results: A total of 21 articles with a sample of 12,195 people were analyzed. The one-year, three-year, five-year and ten-year survival rates of breast cancer in Iran were estimated to be 95.8% (94.6-97.0), 82.4% (79.0-85.8), 69.5% (64.5-74.5), 58.1% (39.6-76.6), respectively. The most important factors affecting survival of breast cancer were age, number of lymph nodes involved, size of the tumor and the stage of the disease. Conclusion: The five- and ten- year survival rates in Iran are lower than in developed countries. Conducting breast cancer screening plan support (including regular clinical examination, mammography), public training and raising awareness should be helpful in facilitating early diagnosis and increasing survival rates for Iranian women.
Breast cancer;neoplasm;survival rate;meta-analysis;Iran
- Salehi A, Zeraati H, Mohammad K, et al (2011). Survival of male breast cancer in fars, South of iran. Iran Red Crescent Med J, 13, 99-105.
- Townsend Jr CM, Beauchamp RD, Evers BM, et al 2012. Sabiston textbook of surgery, Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Vahdaninia M, Montazeri A (2004). Breast cancer in Iran: a survival analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 223-5.
- Verkooijen HM, Chatelain V, Fioretta G, et al (2007). Survival after bilateral breast cancer: results from a population-based study. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 105, 347-57. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-006-9455-x
- Von Elm E, Altman DG, Egger M, et al (2008). The strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology [STROBE] statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies. Gaceta Sanitaria, 22, 144-50. https://doi.org/10.1157/13119325
- Yaghmaei S, Bani Hashemi G, Ghorbani R (2008). Survival rate following treatment of primary breast cancer in Semnan, Iran (1991-2002). Koomesh, 9, 111-6.
- Yeole BB, Kumar AV, Kurkure A, et al (2004). Population-based survival from cancers of breast, cervix and ovary in women in Mumbai, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 5, 308-15.
- Moghadami FZ, Abolghasemi J, ASGARI DA, et al (2011). Survival analysis of patients with breast cancer using the Aalen's additive hazard model. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci, 3, 171-80.
- Moosazadeh M (2013). Meta-Analysis of Prevalence of Smoking in 15-64-year-old Population of West of Iran. Int J Prev Med, 4, 1108-14.
- Moosazadeh M, Nekoei-Moghadam M, Emrani Z, et al (2014). Prevalence of unwanted pregnancy in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Health Plann Manage, 29, 277-90. https://doi.org/10.1002/hpm.2184
- Moosazadeh M, Ziaaddini H, Mirzazadeh A, et al (2013). Meta-analysis of smoking prevalence in Iran. Addict Health, 5, 140-53.
- Mousavi SM, Montazeri A, Mohagheghi MA, et al (2007). Breast cancer in Iran: an epidemiological review. Breast J, 13, 383-91. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2007.00446.x
- Movahedi M, Haghighat S, Khayamzadeh M, et al (2012). Survival rate of breast cancer based on geographical variation in iran, a national study. Iran Red Crescent Med J, 14, 798-804. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.3631
- Pajares B, Pollan M, Martin M, et al (2013). Obesity and survival in operable breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant anthracyclines and taxanes according to pathological subtypes: a pooled analysis. Breast Cancer Res, 15, R105. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr3572
- Payandeh M, Sadeghi M, Sadeghi E, et al (2015). Clinicopathology figures and long-term effects of tamoxifen plus radiation on survival of women with invasive ductal carcinoma and triple negative breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4863-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4863
- Rajaeefard A, Baneshi M, Talei A, et al (2009). Survival models in breast cancer patients. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal, 11, 295.
- Rezaianzadeh A, Peacock J, Reidpath D, et al (2009). Survival analysis of 1148 women diagnosed with breast cancer in Southern Iran. BMC Cancer, 9, 168. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-168
- Fallahzadeh H, Momayyezi M, Akhundzardeini R, et al (2014). Five year survival of women with breast cancer in Yazd. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6597-601. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6597
- Faradmal J, Mafi M, Sadighi-Pashaki A, et al (2014). Factors affecting survival in breast cancer patients referred to the darol Aitam-e Mahdieh center. J Zanjan Univ Med Sci, 22, 105-15.
- Farzianpour F, Shojaee J, Abedi G, et al (2014). Assessment of quality of life in cancer patients. Amercian J Agri and Biol Sci, 9, 147. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajabssp.2014.147.152
- Fazeli Z, Najafian Zade M, Eshtati B, et al (2014). Five-year evaluation of epidemiological, geographical distribution and survival analysis of breast cancer in Markazi province, 2007-2011. J Arak Univ Med Sci, 16, 73-80.
- Janbabai G, Abedi G, Moosazadeh M, Tahmasebi B, Farshidi F(2016). Determining the Survival Rate of Stomach Cancer in Iran: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Res J Med Sci, 10, 246-255.
- Akbari M, Mirzaei H, Soori H (2006). year survival of breast cancer in Shohada-e-Tajrish and Jorjani hospitals. Hakim, 9, 39-44.
- Fouladi N, Amani F, Harghi AS, et al (2011). Five year survival of women with breast cancer in Ardabil, north-west of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1799-801.
- Hackshaw AK, Paul EA (2003). Breast self-examination and death from breast cancer: a meta-analysis. Br J Cancer, 88, 1047-53. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600847
- Haghighat S (2013). Survival rate and its correlated factors in breast cancer patients referred to breast cancer research center. Iran J Breast Dis, 6, 28-36.
- Ziaei JE, Sanaat Z, Asvadi I, et al (2013). Survival analysis of breast cancer patients in northwest Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 39-42. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.39
- Larranaga N, Sarasqueta C, Martinez-Camblor P, et al (2009). Female breast cancer in Gipuzkoa: prognostic factors and survival. Clin Transl Oncol, 11, 96-102. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12094-009-0321-2
- Martos MC, Saurina C, Feja C, et al (2009). Accurately estimating breast cancer survival in Spain: cross-matching local cancer registries with the National Death Index. Rev Panam Salud Publica, 26, 51-4. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1020-49892009000700008
- Akbari ME, Khayamzadeh M, Khoshnevis S, et al (2012). Five and ten years survival in breast cancer patients mastectomies vs. breast conserving surgeries personal experience. Iran J Cancer Prev, 1, 53-6.
- Al-Moundhri M, Al-Bahrani B, Pervez I, et al (2004). The outcome of treatment of breast cancer in a developing country--Oman. Breast, 13, 139-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2003.10.001
- Azizi F, Hatami H, Janghorbani M (2000). Epidemiology and control of common diseases in Iran. Tehran: Eshtiagh Publications, 602-16.
- Baghestani AR, Shahmirzalou P, Zayeri F, et al (2015). Prognostic factors for survival in patients with breast cancer referred to Cancer Research Center in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5081-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.5081
- Bakhtiari A, Hajian K (2007). Five year disease-free survival rate in breast cancer patients in Rajaii Hospital, Babolsar. J Sch Public Health Inst Public Health Res, 5, 53-9.
- Boyages J, Jayasinghe UW, Coombs N (2010). Multifocal breast cancer and survival: each focus does matter particularly for larger tumours. Eur J Cancer, 46, 1990-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.03.003
- Brunicardi F, Andersen D, Billiar T, et al 2004. Schwartz's principles of surgery, McGraw-Hill Professional.
- Chuang SC, Chen W, Hashibe M, et al (2006). Survival rates of invasive breast cancer among ethnic Chinese women born in East Asia and the United States. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 221-6.
- Ivanauskiene R, Gedminaite J, Juozaityte E, et al (2012). Survival of women with breast cancer in Kaunas Region, Lithuania. Medicina (Kaunas), 48, 272-6.
- Karimi A, Delpisheh A, Sayehmiri K, et al (2014). Predictive factors of survival time of breast cancer in kurdistan province of Iran between 2006-2014: a cox regression approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8483-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8483
- Kheradmand AA, Ranjbarnovin N, Khazaeipour Z (2010). Postmastectomy locoregional recurrence and recurrence-free survival in breast cancer patients. World J Surg Oncol, 8, 30. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-8-30
- Kilfoy BA, Zhang Y, Shu XO, et al (2008). Family history of malignancies and risk of breast cancer: prospective data from the Shanghai women's health study. Cancer Causes Control, 19, 1139-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-008-9181-2
- Heydari ST, Mehrabani D, Tabei S, et al (2012). Survival of breast cancer in southern Iran. Iran J Cancer Prev, 2, 51-4.
- Hislop GT, Bajdik CD, Regier MD, et al (2007). Ethnic differences in survival for female cancers of the breast, cervix and colorectum in British Columbia, Canada. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 209-14.
- Kim Y, Choi JY, Lee KM, et al (2007). Dose-dependent protective effect of breast-feeding against breast cancer among ever-lactated women in Korea. Eur J Cancer Prev, 16, 124-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.cej.0000228400.07364.52
- Kim Y, Yoo KY, Goodman MT (2015). Differences in incidence, mortality and survival of breast cancer by regions and countries in Asia and contributing factors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2857-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2857
- Kummel A, Kummel S, Barinoff J, et al (2015). Prognostic Factors for Local, Loco-regional and Systemic Recurrence in Early-stage Breast Cancer. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd, 75, 710-8. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0035-1546050