- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Area-to-Area Poisson Kriging and Spatial Bayesian Analysis in Mapping of Gastric Cancer Incidence in Iran
- Asmarian, Naeimehossadat (Department of Biostatistics, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Jafari-Koshki, Tohid (Department of Statistics and Epidemiology, Faculty of Health, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Soleimani, Ali (Department of Public Health Maragheh University of Medical Science) ;
- Ayatollahi, Seyyed Mohammad Taghi (Department of Biostatistics, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.10.01
Background: In many countries gastric cancer has the highest incidence among the gastrointestinal cancers and is the second most common cancer in Iran. The aim of this study was to identify and map high risk gastric cancer regions at the county-level in Iran. Methods: In this study we analyzed gastric cancer data for Iran in the years 2003-2010. Area-to-area Poisson kriging and Besag, York and Mollie (BYM) spatial models were applied to smoothing the standardized incidence ratios of gastric cancer for the 373 counties surveyed in this study. The two methods were compared in term of accuracy and precision in identifying high risk regions. Result: The highest smoothed standardized incidence rate (SIR) according to area-to-area Poisson kriging was in Meshkinshahr county in Ardabil province in north-western Iran (2.4,SD=0.05), while the highest smoothed standardized incidence rate (SIR) according to the BYM model was in Ardabil, the capital of that province (2.9,SD=0.09). Conclusion: Both methods of mapping, ATA Poisson kriging and BYM, showed the gastric cancer incidence rate to be highest in north and north-west Iran. However, area-to-area Poisson kriging was more precise than the BYM model and required less smoothing. According to the results obtained, preventive measures and treatment programs should be focused on particular counties of Iran.
Gastric cancer;ATA poisson kriging;spatial bayesian analysis;Iran
- Asmarian NS, Kavousi A, Salehi M, Mahaki B (2012). Mapping of stomach cancer rate in Iran using area-to-area Poisson Kriging. J Health Syst Res, 9, 681-7.
- Asmarian NS, Ruzitalab A, Amir K, Masoud S, Mahaki B (2013). Area-to-area poisson kriging analysis of mapping of county-level esophageal cancer incidence rates in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 11-3. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.11
- Behnampour N, Hajizadeh E, Zayeri F, Semnani S (2014). Modeling of influential predictors of gastric cancer incidence rates in Golestan Province, North Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1111-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1111
- Besag J, York J, Mollie A (1991). Bayesian image restoration, with two applications in spatial statistics. Ann I Stat Math, 43, 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00116466
- Goovaerts P (2005). Geostatistical analysis of disease data: estimation of cancer mortality risk from empirical frequencies using Poisson kriging. Int J Health Geogr, 4, 1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-4-1
- Goovaerts P (2006). Geostatistical analysis of disease data: accounting for spatial support and population density in the isopleth mapping of cancer mortality risk using area-to-point Poisson kriging. Int J Health Geogr, 5, 1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-5-1
- Goovaerts P, Gebreab S (2008). How does Poisson kriging compare to the popular BYM model for mapping disease risks?. Int J Health Geogr, 7, 1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-072X-7-1
- Hajian K, Firouzjahi AR, Kia MT (2003). Pattern of age distribution of different cancers Babol, 2001. J Shahid Beheshti Uni Med Sci health, 3, 239-45
- Hajiani-Eskandar SMH, Rahim, M, Jalal H, Mehrdad A, Rajabi T (2006). Clinical profile of gastric cancer in Khuzestan, southwest of Iran. World J Gastroentero, 14, 12-30.
- Kavousi A, Bashiri Y, Mehrabi Y, Etemad K, Teymourpour A (2014). Identifying high-risk clusters of gastric cancer incidence in iran, 2004-2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10335-7.
- Kolahdoozan S, Sadjadi A, Radmard AR, Khademi H (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iranian Med, 13, 143-8.
- Lawson AB, Browne WJ, Rodeiro CLV (2003). Disease mapping with WinBUGS and MLwiN. John Wiley and Sons, 11.
- Lunn D, Spiegelhalter D, Thomas A, Best N (2009). The BUGS project: Evolution, critique and future directions. Stat Med, 28, 3049-67. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.3680
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh Z (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Arch Iran Med, 12, 576-83.
- Mosavi-jarraahi A, Mohagheghi MA, Zeraatti H, Mortazavi H (2001). Cancer registration in Iran asian pacific. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 2, 35-9.
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Mungiole M, Pickle LW, Simonson KH, White AA (1999). Application of a weighted head banging algorithm to mortality data maps. Stat Med, 18, 3201-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19991215)18:23<3201::AID-SIM310>3.0.CO;2-U
- Sadjadi A, Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, et al (2003). Cancer occurrence in Ardabil: Results of a population-based Cancer Registry from Iran. Int J Cancer, 107, 113-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11359
- Soleimani A, Hassanzadeh J, Motlagh AG, et al (2015). Spatial analysis of common gastrointestinal tract cancers in counties of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4025-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.4025