- Volume 17 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of Teach-Back Self-Management Training Program on Happiness of Breast Cancer Patients
- Ahmadidarrehsima, Sudabeh (Student Research Committee, Nursing and Midwifery School, Zabol University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rahnama, Mozhgan (Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery School, Zabol University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Afshari, Mahdi (Department of Social Medicine, School of Medicine, Zabol University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Bidmeshki, Elahe Asadi (Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery School, Zabol University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.10.01
Self-management training is one of the ways to empower patients to cope with disease. The aim of this before-and-after quasi-experimental study was to determine effects of a teach-back self-management training method on breast cancer patient happiness. Fifty breast cancer patients who visited the Park-e Neshat Limited Surgery Clinic in Kerman, Iran were randomly divided into intervention and control groups after convenience sampling and checking for inclusion eligibility. Data were collected using a demographic questionnaire and the Oxford Happiness Inventory before and after teach-back training and analyzed using SPSS 23. Findings showed no significant difference between mean happiness scores in the two groups before the intervention. However, after the intervention, the mean happiness score in the intervention group increased from 37.2 to 62.9, while it decreased from 41.4 to 29.8 in the control group. These changes were statistically significant (p<0.001). Even after controlling for the effect of confounding factors such as residence location and history of cancer education, the observed differences between the groups were statistically significant (p<0.001). A teach-back self-management training program can increase happiness levels in breast cancer patients. Therefore, the use of this method is recommended to improve self-management and increase happiness.
- Abdollahi S, Mehrabizadeh HM, Sodani M (2012). The effect of happiness training on blood pressure and happiness in patients with blood pressure. J Soc Psychol, 7, 61-79.
- Ahmadi m, poormansouri s (2016). Effectiveness of educational program based on self management model on depression, anxiety and stress in patients with sickle cell disease (24 weeks follow up). J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac, 13, 1039-49.
- Alipoor a, Noorbala aa (1999). A preliminary evaluation of the validity and reliability of the oxford happiness questionnaire in students in the universities of Tehran. Iran J Psychiatry Clin Psychol, 5, 55-66.
- Aqlyma M, Ebrahim NAA (2011). The effect of cultural capital on the happiness of young women (aged 15-24) in Isfahan. Jame Pazhuhiy Farhangi, 2, 1-24.
- Dantic DE (2014). A critical review of the effectiveness of 'teach-back'technique in teaching COPD patients self-management using respiratory inhalers. Health Educ J, 73, 41-50. https://doi.org/10.1177/0017896912469575
- Fann JR, Thomas-Rich AM, Katon WJ, et al (2008). Major depression after breast cancer: a review of epidemiology and treatment. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 30, 112-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2007.10.008
- Ford BQ, Mauss IB, Gruber J (2015). Valuing happiness is associated with bipolar disorder. Emotion, 15, 211. https://doi.org/10.1037/emo0000048
- Gholamali LM, Rastgoo L, Azarniad A, et al (2014). The effect of happiness cognitive-behavioral training on self-efficacy beliefs and academic stress. J of Cognit Strate In Lear, 2, 1-18.
- Grogan S, Mechan J (2016). Body image after mastectomy: A thematic analysis of younger women's written accounts. J Health Psychol, 1359105316630137.
- Hashemi N, Morteza S, Baghbani G, et al (2016). The effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy and schema therapy on happiness and mental health of nursing students. J Clin Nurs Midwifery, 5, 12-22.
- Kafami F, Mohammadi F, Norouzi K, et al (2012). The effect of self-management program on the health status of multiple sclerosis patients. Journal of Nursing & Midwifery, 9, 24-33.
- Kazemi A, Kalantari Khandni B (2015). The effect of 8 weeks aerobic training on serum levels of adiponectin and estradiol in women with breast cancer. Iran J Breast Dis, 8, 16-24.
- M B, M E, M F, et al (2011). Effect of self care education on mental health of breast cancer women undergoing chemotherapy in cancer Institute of Tehran. Iran J Breast Dis, 4, 42-7.
- M K, M B, A D, et al (2013). The effects of cognitive behavioral stress management on sels- efficacy and happiness as normal personality traits. J of Person Indi Differ, 1, 32-47.
- Mahmoudirad G, Hoseini MS, Madarshahian F (2015). The effect of teach-back education on foot self-care among patients with type II diabetes mellitus. Mod Care J, 12, 1-7.
- Miller S, Lattanzio M, Cohen S (2016). "Teach-back" from a patient's perspective. Nursing, 46, 63-4.
- Motamedi A, Haghighat S, Khalili N, et al (2015). The correlation between treatment of depression and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Iran J Breast Dis, 8, 42-8.
- N HM, Elahi N MK, M F, et al (2015a). Effect of teach - back educational method on surgical anxiety in primiparous cesarean section women. J clin Res in Para Sci, 4, 169-77.
- N S, S Gh, Z As (2015b). The impact of life skills training on happiness and hopefulness among patients with type 2 diabetes. J Diabetes Nurs, 3, 8-19.
- Nasiri A (2012). Effect of an educational plan based on Teach-Back method on hemodialysis patients' self-care deficits. Mod Care J, 9, 344-54.
- Negarandeh R, Mahmoodi H, Noktehdan H, et al (2013). Teach back and pictorial image educational strategies on knowledge about diabetes and medication/dietary adherence among low health literate patients with type 2 diabetes. Prim Care Diabetes, 7, 111-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2012.11.001
- Noguchi W, Morita S, Ohno T, et al (2006). Spiritual needs in cancer patients and spiritual care based on logotherapy. Support Care Cancer, 14, 65-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-005-0827-2
- Oliveira Pinto SM, Alves Caldeira Berenguer SM, Martins JCA (2013). Cancer, health literacy, and happiness: perspectives from patients under chemotherapy. Nurs Res and pract, 291767.
- Oshvandi K, Jokar M, Khatiban M, et al (2014). The effect of self care education based on teach back method on promotion of self care behaviors in type Ii Diabetic patients: a clinical trial study. J of Diabetes & Metabolic , 13, 131-43.
- Pahlevan SA, Bakhtiar NH (2009). Happiness program education of fordyce and its effect on level of happiness in martyrs'and veterans'family. Daneshvar Medicine, 16, 35-46.
- Rahnama M, Khoshknab M, Seyed BMS, et al (2014). Religion as an alleviating factor in Iranian cancer patients: a qualitative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 8519-24.
- shams S, Zaker M, Ghavami H (2016). Effect of self management educative package on quality of life among diabetic patients in Urmia diabetes centers between in the years Of 2013. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac, 13, 863-8.
- Sheikh Abumasoudi R, Kashani F, Karimi T, et al (2015). Comparison of two methods of training (face-to-face and electronic) on depression, anxiety and stress in breast cancer patients. Iran J Breast Dis, 8, 24-34.
- Soroush M, Hejazi E, Shoakazemi M, et al (2015). Body image psychological characteristics and hope in women with breast cancer. Iran J Breast Dis, 7, 52-63.
- Stephens PJ, Tarpey PS, Davies H, et al (2012). The landscape of cancer genes and mutational processes in breast cancer. Nature, 486, 400-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11017
- T M, S F, L C, et al (2012). Evalution of an educational intervention, Utillizing Simulation and Teach - Bach (TB) Method, to in crease nurses Knowledge and retention of heart failure (HF) self - Management (SM) principlees. Heart &Lung, 41, 145-55.