- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Plasma Lipidomics as a Tool for Diagnosis of Extrahepatic Cholangiocarcinoma in Biliary Strictures: a Pilot Study
- Prachayakul, Varayu (Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University) ;
- Thearavathanasingha, Phataraphong (Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University) ;
- Thuwajit, Chanitra (Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University) ;
- Roytrakul, Sittiruk (Proteomics Research Laboratory, National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology) ;
- Jaresitthikunchai, Janthima (Proteomics Research Laboratory, National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology) ;
- Thuwajit, Peti (Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University)
- Published : 2016.08.01
Biliary obstruction is a common clinical manifestation of various conditions, including extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. However, a screening test for diagnosis of extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in patients with biliary obstruction is not yet available. According to the rationale that the biliary system plays a major role in lipid metabolism, biliary obstruction may interfere with lipid profiles in the body. Therefore, plasma lipidomics may help indicate the presence or status of disease in biliary obstruction suspected extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. This study aimed to use plasma lipidomics for diagnosis of extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in patients with biliary obstruction. Plasma from healthy volunteers, patients with benign biliary obstruction extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma, and other related cancers were used in this study. Plasma lipids were extracted and lipidomic analysis was performed using matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Lipid profiles from extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma patients showed significant differences from both normal and benign biliary obstruction conditions, with no distinction between the latter two. Relative intensity of the selected lipid mass was able to successfully differentiate all extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma samples from patient samples taken from healthy volunteers, patients with benign biliary obstruction, and patients with other related cancers. In conclusion, lipidomics is a non-invasive method with high sensitivity and specificity for identification of extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma in patients with biliary obstruction.
Extrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma;biliary obstruction;lipidomics;MALDI-TOF-MS;diagnosis
Supported by : Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University
- Aljohani AJ, Edwards G, Guerra Y, et al (2014). Human trabecular meshwork sphingolipid and ceramide profiles and potential latent fungal commensalism. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 55, 3413-22. https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.13-13570
- Arafah K, Longuespee R, Desmons A, et al (2014). Lipidomics for clinical diagnosis: Dye-Assisted Laser Desorption/ Ionization (DALDI) method for lipids detection in MALDI mass spectrometry imaging. OMICS, 18, 487-98. https://doi.org/10.1089/omi.2013.0175
- Banales JM, Cardinale V, Carpino G, et al (2016). Expert consensus document: Cholangiocarcinoma: current knowledge and future perspectives consensus statement from the European Network for the Study of Cholangiocarcinoma (ENS-CCA). Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol, 13, 261-80. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrgastro.2016.51
- Bayraktar Y, Balkanci F, Ozenc A, et al (1995). The "pseudocholangiocarcinoma sign" in patients with cavernous transformation of the portal vein and its effect on the serum alkaline phosphatase and bilirubin levels. Am J Gastroenterol, 90, 2015-9.
- Bligh EG, Dyer WJ (1959). A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol, 37, 911-7. https://doi.org/10.1139/o59-099
- Chen S, Yin P, Zhao X, et al (2013). Serum lipid profiling of patients with chronic hepatitis B, cirrhosis, and hepatocellular carcinoma by ultra fast LC/IT-TOF MS. Electrophoresis, 34, 2848-56.
- Cohen DE (1999). Hepatocellular transport and secretion of biliary lipids. Curr Opin Lipidol, 10, 295-302. https://doi.org/10.1097/00041433-199908000-00002
- de Hoon MJ, Imoto S, Nolan J, Miyano S (2004). Open source clustering software. Bioinformatics, 20, 1453-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bth078
- Del Boccio P, Pieragostino D, Di Ioia M, et al (2011). Lipidomic investigations for the characterization of circulating serum lipids in multiple sclerosis. J Proteomics, 74, 2826-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2011.06.023
- DeWitt J, Misra VL, Leblanc JK, McHenry L, Sherman S (2006). EUS-guided FNA of proximal biliary strictures after negative ERCP brush cytology results. Gastrointest Endosc, 64, 325-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2005.11.064
- Duncan MW, Roder H, Hunsucker SW (2008). Quantitative matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic, 7, 355-70. https://doi.org/10.1093/bfgp/eln041
- Eberlin LS, Gabay M, Fan AC, et al (2014). Alteration of the lipid profile in lymphomas induced by MYC overexpression. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA, 111, 10450-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1409778111
- Fahy E, Sud M, Cotter D, Subramaniam S (2007). LIPID MAPS online tools for lipid research. Nucleic Acids Res, 35, 606-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkm324
- Fonteh AN, Harrington RJ, Huhmer AF, et al (2006). Identification of disease markers in human cerebrospinal fluid using lipidomic and proteomic methods. Dis Markers, 22, 39-64. https://doi.org/10.1155/2006/202938
- Gassler N, Klaus C, Kaemmerer E, Reinartz A (2010). Modifierconcept of colorectal carcinogenesis: lipidomics as a technical tool in pathway analysis. World J Gastroenterol, 16, 1820-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v16.i15.1820
- Hilvo M, Gade S, Hyotylainen T, et al (2014). Monounsaturated fatty acids in serum triacylglycerols are associated with response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients. Int J Cancer, 134, 1725-33. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.28491
- Hunsawong T, Singsuksawat E, In-chon N, et al (2012). Estrogen is increased in male cholangiocarcinoma patients’ serum and stimulates invasion in cholangiocarcinoma cell lines in vitro. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 138, 1311-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-012-1207-1
- Ishikawa S, Tateya I, Hayasaka T, et al (2012). Increased expression of phosphatidylcholine (16:0/18:1) and (16:0/18:2) in thyroid papillary cancer. PLoS One, 7, 48873. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048873
- Jhaveri KS, Hosseini-Nik H (2015). MRI of cholangiocarcinoma. J Magn Reson Imaging, 42, 1165-79. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmri.24810
- Jiang W, Zeng ZC, Tang ZY, et al (2011). A prognostic scoring system based on clinical features of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma: the Fudan score. Ann Oncol, 22, 1644-52. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq650
- Jove M, Naudi A, Portero-Otin M, et al (2014). Plasma lipidomics discloses metabolic syndrome with a specific HDL phenotype. FASEB J, 28, 5163-71. https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.14-253187
- Knight JA, Anderson S, Rawle JM (1972). Chemical basis of the sulfo-phospho-vanillin reaction for estimating total serum lipids. Clin Chem, 18, 199-202.
- Kullak-Ublick GA, Beuers U, Paumgartner G (2000). Hepatobiliary transport. J Hepatol, 32, 3-18.
- Larghi A, Tringali A, Lecca PG, Giordano M, Costamagna G (2008). Management of hilar biliary strictures. Am J Gastroenterol, 103, 458-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.2007.01645.x
- Lumachi F, Lo Re G, Tozzoli R, et al (2014). Measurement of serum carcinoembryonic antigen, carbohydrate antigen 19-9, cytokeratin-19 fragment and matrix metalloproteinase-7 for detecting cholangiocarcinoma: a preliminary case-control study. Anticancer Res, 34, 6663-7.
- Navaneethan U, Gutierrez NG, Venkatesh PG, et al (2014). Lipidomic profiling of bile in distinguishing benign from malignant biliary strictures: a single-blinded pilot study. Am J Gastroenterol, 109, 895-902. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2014.60
- Ollero M, Astarita G, Guerrera IC, et al (2011). Plasma lipidomics reveals potential prognostic signatures within a cohort of cystic fibrosis patients. J Lipid Res, 52, 1011-22. https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.P013722
- Park YS, Yoo CW, Lee SC, et al (2011). Lipid profiles for intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma identified using matrixassisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Clin Chim Acta, 412, 1978-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2011.07.008
- Portevin D, Sukumar S, Coscolla M, et al (2014). Lipidomics and genomics of Mycobacterium tuberculosis reveal lineage-specific trends in mycolic acid biosynthesis. Microbiologyopen, 3, 823-35. https://doi.org/10.1002/mbo3.193
- Quehenberger O, Dennis EA (2011). The human plasma lipidome. N Engl J Med, 365, 1812-23. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1104901
- Rolim AE, Henrique-Araujo R, Ferraz EG, de Araujo Alves Dultra FK, Fernandez LG (2014). Lipidomics in the study of lipid metabolism: Current perspectives in the omic sciences. Gene, 554, 131-9.
- Saldanha AJ (2004). Java Treeview--extensible visualization of microarray data. Bioinformatics, 20, 3246-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bth349
- Soares KC, Kamel I, Cosgrove DP, Herman JM, Pawlik TM (2014). Hilar cholangiocarcinoma: diagnosis, treatment options, and management. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr, 3, 18-34.
- Stegemann C, Pechlaner R, Willeit P, et al (2014). Lipidomics profiling and risk of cardiovascular disease in the prospective population-based Bruneck study. Circulation, 129, 1821-31. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.002500
- Suzuki R, Thosani N, Annangi S, et al (2014). Diagnostic yield of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography-based cytology for distinguishing malignant and benign intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm: systematic review and metaanalysis. Dig Endosc, 26, 586-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/den.12230
- Trikudanathan G, Navaneethan U, Njei B, Vargo JJ, Parsi MA (2014). Diagnostic yield of bile duct brushings for cholangiocarcinoma in primary sclerosing cholangitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gastrointest Endosc, 79, 783-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2013.09.015
- Wang HY, Chu X, Zhao ZX, He XS, Guo YL (2011). Analysis of low molecular weight compounds by MALDI-FTICR-MS. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci, 879, 1166-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2011.03.037
- Wu TT, Li HC, Li WM, et al (2015). Percutaneous intraluminal radiofrequency ablation for malignant extrahepatic biliary obstruction: a safe and feasible method. Dig Dis Sci, 60, 2158-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-015-3547-6
- Yao D, Kunam VK, Li X (2014). A review of the clinical diagnosis and therapy of cholangiocarcinoma. J Inter Med Res, 42, 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1177/0300060513505488
- Zhang Q, Wakelam MJ (2014). Lipidomics in the analysis of malignancy. Adv Biol Regul, 54, 93-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbior.2013.11.001
- Zhou X, Mao J, Ai J, et al (2012). Identification of plasma lipid biomarkers for prostate cancer by lipidomics and bioinformatics. PLoS One, 7, 48889. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048889