- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy on Life Expectancy of Female Cancer Patients at Tehran's Dehshpour Institute in 2015
- Ghasemi, Farahnaz (Department of Counseling, Kermanshah Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Dehghan, Fateme (Department of Psychiatry, Substance abuse prevention Research Center, Farabi Hospital, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Farnia, Vahid (Department of Psychiatry, Substance abuse prevention Research Center, Farabi Hospital, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Tatari, Faeze (Department of Psychiatry, Substance abuse prevention Research Center, Farabi Hospital, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Alikhani, Mostafa (Department of Psychiatry, Substance abuse prevention Research Center, Farabi Hospital, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.08.01
Background: Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) increases the psychological flexibility of people afflicted with cancer, and consequently improves their adaptability. The present research was conducted with the aim of determining the effectiveness of ACT for people afflicted with cancer. Materials and Methods: The present research was of semi-pilot type with a pre-test and post-test plan for the proof group. The demographics of the community were composed of all the women with cancer who were under treatment in Tehran's Dehshpour therapeutic center in 2015. The sample was composed of 24 people who were selected as available and chosen randomly in two groups of test and proof. All the participants responded to Snyder questionnaire in two pre-test and post-test stages, and the test group participated in treatment sessions after conducting the pre-test. Results: After collecting the information, data analysis was conducted in two description and inferential levels. The test results of covariance analysis showed that the two groups' hope was meaningfully different. Hope in the test group, compared to the proof group, increased meaningfully. Conclusions: The results show that the ACT is effective in increasing hope of patients with cancer.
Hope;breast cancer;acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Akbari ME, Khayamzadeh M, Khoshnevis SJ, Nafisi N, Akbari A (2012). Five and ten years survival in breast cancer patients mastectomies vs. breast conserving surgeries personal experience. Iranian J Cancer Prev, 1, 53-6.
- Amanda E, Lee D (2015). Applications and adaptations of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for adolescents. J Contextual Behavioral Sci, 4, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcbs.2015.01.002
- Carolyn D, Andera N, Ander P, Joanna J, Michelle G (2015). Physiological and behavioral indices of emotion deregulation as predictors of outcome from cognitive behavioral therapy and acceptance and commitment therapy for anxiety. JBehavior Therapy Experimental Psychiatry, 46, 35-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbtep.2014.08.002
- Dionne F, Blais MC, Monestes JL (2012). Acceptance and commitment therapy in the treatment of chronic pain. Sante mentale au Quebec, 38, 131-52.
- Dionne F, Ngo TL, Blais MC (2012). The psychological flexibility model: a new approach to mental health. Sante mentale au Quebec, 38, 111-30
- Fish JA, Ettridge K, Sharplin GR, Hancock B, Knott VE (2014). Mindfulness-based Cancer Stress Management: impact of a mindfulness-based programmed on psychological distress and quality of life. Eur J Cancer Care, 23, 413-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12136
- Hayes SC, Pistorello J, Levin ME (2012). Acceptance and commitment therapy as a unified model of behavior change. Counseling Psychologist, 40, 976-1002. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000012460836
- Howard-Anderson J, Ganz PA, Bower JE, Stanton AL (2012). Quality of life, fertility concerns, and behavioral health outcomes in younger breast cancer survivors: a systematic review. J Natl Cancer Inst, 104, 1-20.
- Hulbert-Williams N J, Storey L, Wilson KG (2015). Psychological interventions for patients with cancer: psychological flexibility and the potential utility of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Eur J Cancer Care, 24, 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12223
- Irandoost F, Neshat-Doost HT, Nadi MA, Safary S (2014). The Effectiveness of acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) on the rate of pain intensity in women with chronic low back pain. J Clin Psychol, 2, 75-85.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jiaxi L, Luking M, Daniel D, Buhrman M, Anderson G (2015). Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of a guided and unguided internet-based acceptance and commitment therapy for chronic pain: study protocol for a three-armed randomized controlled trial. Internet Intervent, 2, 7-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.invent.2014.11.005
- Kahl KG, Winter L, Schweiger U(2012). The third wave of cognitive behavioural therapies: what is new and what is effective? Current Opinion Psychiatry, 25, 522-528. https://doi.org/10.1097/YCO.0b013e328358e531
- Molavi P, Mikaeili N, Rahimi N, Mehri S (2014). The effectiveness of acceptance and commitment therapy based on reducing anxiety and depression in students with social phobia. J Ardabil University Med Sci, 14, 412-23.
- Narimani M, Alamdari E, Abolqasemi A (2015). Assessing the effectiveness of acceptance and commitment therapy on quality of life in infertile women. J Family Counseling Psychotherapy, 4, 387-404.
- Rajabi Gh, Imani M, Khojaste Mehr R, Beyrami M, kiumars B (2014). The study of the efficacy of acceptance based behavior therapy and integrative behavioral couple therapy on women with distressed couples and general anxiety disorder. J Res Behave Sci, 11, 600-619.
- Rezaeian M, Ebrahimi A, Zargham M (2015). The effect of acceptance and commitment therapy on catastrophic and disabling pain in chronic pelvic pain in Females. Res Cognitive Behavioral Sci, 2, 17-31.