- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Association of Poly (ADP-Ribose) Polymerase 1 Variants with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma Susceptibility in a South Indian Population
- Anil, Sukumaran (Department of Preventive Dental Sciences, College of Dentistry, Prince Sattam Bin Abdulaziz University) ;
- Gopikrishnan, PB (Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontist, PSM College of Dental Sciences and Research) ;
- Basheer, Ashik Bin (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, PSM College of Dental Sciences and Research) ;
- Vidyullatha, BG (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Diagnostic sciences, King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences) ;
- Alogaibi, Yahya A (Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdulaziz University) ;
- Chalisserry, Elna P (Department of Maxillofacial Surgery & Diagnostic Sciences, College of Dentistry, College of Dentistry, Jazan University) ;
- Javed, Fawad (Department of General Dentistry, Eastman Institute for Oral Health, University of Rochester) ;
- Dalati, MHN (Consultant Orthodontist and Restorative Dentist, Springs Dental Care) ;
- Vellappally, Sajith (Dental Biomaterials Research Chair, Dental Health Department, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University) ;
- Hashem, Mohamed Ibrahim (Dental Biomaterials Research Chair, Dental Health Department, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University) ;
- Divakar, Darshan Devang (Dental Biomaterials Research Chair, Dental Health Department, College of Applied Medical Sciences, King Saud University)
- Published : 2016.08.01
Background: Oral cancers account for approximately 2% of all cancers diagnosed each year; however, the vast majority (80%) of the affected individuals are smokers whose risk of developing a lesion is five to nine times greater than that of non-smokers. Tobacco smoke contains numerous carcinogens that cause DNA damage, including oxidative lesions that are removed effectively by the base-excision repair (BER) pathway, in which poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase 1 (PARP-1), plays key roles. Genetic variations in the genes encoding DNA repair enzymes may alter their functions. Several studies reported mixed effects on the association between PARP-1 variants and the risk of cancer development. Till now no reported studies have investigated the association between PARP-1 variants and oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) risk in an Indian population. Materials and Methods: In the present case control study 100 OSCC patients and 100 matched controls were genotyped using PARP1 single nucleotide peptides (SNP's) rs1136410 and rs3219090 using TaqMan assays. Results: The results indicated significantly higher risk with PARP1 rs1136410 minor allele "C" (OR=1.909; p=0.02942; CI, 1.060-3.439). SNP rs1136410 also showed significantly increased risk in patients with smoking habit at C/C genotype and at minor allele C. Conclusions: The PAPR-1 Ala762Val polymorphism may play a role in progression of OSCC. Larger studies with a greater number of samples are needed to verify these findings.
Oral squamous cell carcinoma;poly (ADP-Ribose) polymerase 1;risk factor
- Alanazi M, Pathan AAK, Abduljaleel Z,et al (2013). Association between PARP-1 V762A polymorphism and breast cancer susceptibility in saudi population. PLoS One, 9, 85541.
- Alanazi M, Pathan AAK, Ajaj S A, et al (2013). DNA repair genes XRCC1, XRCC3, XPD, and OGG1 polymorphisms among the central region population of Saudi Arabia. Biological Res, 46, 161-7. https://doi.org/10.4067/S0716-97602013000200007
- Alanazi M, Pathan AAK, Shaik JP, et al (2013). The C Allele of a synonymous SNP (rs1805414, Ala284Ala) in PARP1 is a risk factor for susceptibility to breast cancer in Saudi patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3051-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3051
- Aly HA (2012). Cancer therapy and vaccination. J Immunol Methods, 382, 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jim.2012.05.014
- Brennan JA, Boyle JO, Koch WM, et al (1995). Association between cigarette smoking and mutation of the p53 gene in squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck. New England J Med, 332, 712-7. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199503163321104
- Chiang FY, Wu CW, Hsiao PJ, et al (2008). Association between polymorphisms in DNA base excision repair genes XRCC1, APE1, and ADPRT and differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 14, 5919-24. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-08-0906
- Da Silva SD, Ferlito A, Takes RP, et al (2011). Advances and applications of oral cancer basic research. Oral Oncol, 47, 783-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.07.004
- De Camargo Cancela M, Voti L, Guerra-Yi M, et al (2010). Oral cavity cancer in developed and in developing countries: population-based incidence. Head Neck, 32, 357-67.
- Feinberg AP, Tycko B (2004). The history of cancer epigenetics. Nat Rev Cancer, 4, 143-153. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc1279
- Figueroa JD, Malats N, Real FX, et al (2007). Genetic variation in the base excision repair pathway and bladder cancer risk. Hum Genet, 121, 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00439-006-0294-y
- Gupta GP, Massague J (2006). Cancer metastasis: building a framework. Cell, 127, 679-695. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2006.11.001
- Hainaut P, Plymoth A (2013). Targeting the hallmarks of cancer: towards a rational approach to next-generation cancer therapy. Curr Opin Oncol, 25, 50-1. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCO.0b013e32835b651e
- Hanahan D, Weinberg RA (2000). The hallmarks of cancer. Cell, 100, 57-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)81683-9
- Hanahan D, Weinberg RA (2011). Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell, 144, 646-674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2011.02.013
- Hao B, Wang H, Zhou K, et al (2004). Identification of genetic variants in base excision repair pathway and their associations with risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res, 64, 4378-84. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-0372
- Jagtap P, Szabo C (2005). Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase and the therapeutic effects of its inhibitors. Nat Rev Drug Discov, 4, 421-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrd1718
- Jin XM, Kim HN, Lee IK, et al (2010). PARP-1 Val762Ala polymorphism is associated with reduced risk of non- Hodgkin lymphoma in Korean males. BMC Med Genetics, 11, 38.
- Lacko M, Braakhuis BJ, Sturgis EM, et al (2014). Genetic susceptibility to head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 89, 38-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.09.034
- Li C, Hu Z, Lu J, et al (2007). Genetic polymorphisms in DNA base-excision repair genes ADPRT, XRCC1, and APE1 and the risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer, 110, 867-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22861
- Lockett KL, Hall MC, Xu J, et al (2004). The ADPRT V762A genetic variant contributes to prostate cancer susceptibility and deficient enzyme function. Cancer Res, 64, 6344-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-04-0338
- Napier SS, Speight PM (2008). Natural history of potentially malignant oral lesions and conditions: an overview of the literature. J Oral Pathol Med, 37, 1-10.
- Petti S (2009). Lifestyle risk factors for oral cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 340-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.05.018
- Rai NP, Anekar J, Shivaraja Shankara Y M, et al (2015). Comparison of serum fucose levels in leukoplakia and oral cancer patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7497-500. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7497
- Rai NP, Divakar DD, Al Kheraif AA, et al (2015). Outcome of palliative and radical radiotherapy in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma - a retrospective study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 6919-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.6919
- Shishodia NP, Divakar DD, Al Kheraif AA, et al (2015). End stage palliative care of head and neck cancer: a case study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1255-1258. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1255
- Smith TR, Levine EA, Freimanis RI, et al (2008). Polygenic model of DNA repair genetic polymorphisms in human breast cancer risk. Carcinogenesis, 29, 2132-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgn193
- Wang XG, Wang ZQ, Tong WM, et al (2007). PARP1 Val762Ala polymorphism reduces enzymatic activity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 354, 122-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2006.12.162
- Wu X, Zhao H, Suk R, et al (2004). Genetic susceptibility to tobacco-related cancer. Oncogene, 23, 6500-23. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1207811
- Ye F, Cheng Q, Hu Y, et al (2012). PARP-1 Val762Ala polymorphism is associated with risk of cervical carcinoma. PLoS One, 7, 37446. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0037446
- Zhang Q, Li Y, Li X, et al (2009). PARP-1 Val762Ala polymorphism, CagA+ H. pylori infection and risk for gastric cancer in Han Chinese population. Mol Biol Rep, 36, 1461-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-008-9336-y
- Zhang X, Miao X, Liang G, et al (2005). Polymorphisms in DNA base excision repair genes ADPRT and XRCC1 and risk of lung cancer. Cancer Res, 65, 722-6.