- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Survival of Triple Negative versus Triple Positive Breast Cancers: Comparison and Contrast
- Negi, Preety (Department of Radiation Oncology, Christian Medical College & Hospital) ;
- Kingsley, Pamela Alice (Department of Radiation Oncology, Christian Medical College & Hospital) ;
- Jain, Kunal (Department of Medical Oncology, Christian Medical College & Hospital) ;
- Sachdeva, Jaineet (Department of Radiation Oncology, Christian Medical College & Hospital) ;
- Srivastava, Himanshu (Department of Radiation Oncology, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute & Research Centre) ;
- Marcus, Sudeep (Department of Radiation Oncology, Christian Medical College & Hospital) ;
- Pannu, Aman (Department of Neurology, Christian Medical College & Hospital)
- Published : 2016.08.01
Background: Triple negative (TN) and triple positive (TP) breast cancers both are aggressive types but TN generally has a shorter survival. Objectives: To compare the clinical characteristics and treatment outcomes for patients with TN versus TP breast cancer and to assess various prognostic factors affecting overall survival. Materials and Methods: A retrospective audit of 85 breast cancer patients was conducted in the Department of Radiation Oncology and Medical Oncology on patients from 2006 to 2013 for whom IHC for ER, PgR and Her-2 neu were available. The patients were stratified into: ER-, PR- and Her-2 neu- (Arm A, n=47) and ER+, PgR+ and Her-2 neu+ (Arm B, n=38). Results: TN subtype had higher numbers of premenopausal and advanced stage patients as compared to TP subtype. The locoregional recurrence (LRR) and distant metastatic rate was also higher in TN subtype but there was no definite pattern in both the arms. Among the prognostic factors, patients with premenopausal status and advanced stage in TN breast cancer had inferior survival (P=0.07) whereas for those with postmenopausal status and early stage there was no survival difference between the two arms. Conclusions: TN subtype tends to be more aggressive in terms of younger age and advanced stage at presentation, higher tumour grade, LRR and metastasis, suggesting need for future research efforts on providing aggressive treatment to these patients. We could attribute better outcome for TP subtype to receptor positivity enabling role of hormonal treatment and targeted therapy, although less number of patients received targeted therapy.
- Ades F, Zardavas D, Bozovic-Spasojevic I, et al (2014). Luminal B breast cancer: Molecular characterization, clinical management, and future perspectives. J Clin Oncol, 32, 2794-803. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.54.1870
- Ahmad A (2013). Pathways to breast cancer recurrence. ISRN Oncol, 290568.
- Allison KH (2012). Molecular pathology of breast cancer. Am J Clin Pathol, 138, 770-80. https://doi.org/10.1309/AJCPIV9IQ1MRQMOO
- Brouckaert O, Wildiers H, Floris G, Neven P (2012). Update on triple-negative breast cancer: prognosis and management strategies. Int J Womens Health, 4, 511-20.
- Carey LA, Perou CM, Livasy CA, et al (2006). Race, breast cancer subtypes, and survival in the Carolina Breast Cancer Study. JAMA, 295, 2492-502. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.295.21.2492
- Dent R, Trudeau M, Pritchard KI, et al (2007). Triple-negative breast cancer: clinical features and patterns of recurrence. Clin Cancer Res, 13, 4429-34. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-06-3045
- Giordano SH, Temin S, Kirshner JJ, et al (2014). Systemic therapy for patients with advanced human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline. J Clin Oncol, 32, 2078-99. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2013.54.0948
- Goldhirsch A, Ingle JN, Gelber RD, Coates AS, Thurlimann B, Senn HJ (2009). Thresholds for therapies: highlights of the St Gallen International Expert Consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer 2009. Ann Oncol, 20,1319-29. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp322
- Hudis CA and Gianni L (2011). Triple negative breast cancer: an unmet medical need. Oncologist, 16, 1-11.
- Jack RH, Davies EA, Renshaw C, et al (2013). Differences in breast cancer hormone receptor status in ethnic groups: a London population. Eur J Cancer, 49, 696-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.09.012
- Lara-Medina F, Perez-Sanchez V, Saavedra-Perez D, et al (2011). Triple-negative breast cancer in Hispanic patients: high prevalence, poor prognosis, and association with menopausal status, body mass index, and parity. Cancer, 117, 3658-69. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25961
- Morris GJ, Naidu S, Topham AK, et al (2007). Differences in breast carcinoma characteristics in newly diagnosed African- American and Caucasian patients: a single-institution compilation compared with the National Cancer Institute’s Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database. Cancer, 110, 876-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22836
- Onitilo AA, Engel JM, Greenlee RT, Mukesh BN (2009). Breast cancer subtypes based on ER / PR and Her-2 overexpression: comparison of clinicopathologic features and survival. Clin Med Res, 7, 4-13. https://doi.org/10.3121/cmr.2008.825
- Osako T, Nishimura R, Okumura Y, Arima N (2008). Premenopausal status reflects an unfavourable prognosis in triple-negative breast cancer. J Clinic Oncol, ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, 26, 222.
- Ovcaricek T, Frkovic SG, Matos E, Mozina B, Borstnar S (2011). Triple negative breast cancer- prognostic factors and survival. Radiol Oncol, 45, 46-52.
- Sajid MT, Ahmed M, Azhar M, et al (2014). Age-related frequency of triple negative breast cancer in women. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak, 24, 400-3.
- Sandhu R, Parker JS, Jones WD, Livasy CA, Coleman WB (2010). Microarray-based gene expression profiling for molecular classification of breast cancer and identification of new targets for therapy. Lab Med, 41, 364-72. https://doi.org/10.1309/LMLIK0VIE3CJK0WD
- Sorlie T, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, et al (2001). Gene expression patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumour subclasses with clinical implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 98, 10869-74. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.191367098
- Sorlie T, Tibshirani R, Parker J, et al (2003). Repeated observation of breast tumour subtypes in independent gene expression data sets. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 100, 8418-23. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0932692100
- Vici P, Pizzuti L, Natoli C, et al (2015). Triple positive breast cancer: A distinct subtype? Cancer Treat Rev, 41, 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2014.12.005
- Yin W, Jiang Y, Shen Z, Shao Z, Lu J (2011). Trastuzumab in the adjuvant treatment of HER-2 positive early breast cancer patients: a meta-analysis of published randomized controlled trials. PLoS One, 6, 21030. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0021030