- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Expression of Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (Her 2/neu) and Proliferative Marker Ki-67: Association with Clinicopathological Parameters in Gallbladder Carcinoma
- Pujani, Mukta (ESIC Medical College) ;
- Makker, Isha (Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research) ;
- Makker, Annu (King George's Medical University) ;
- Goel, Madhu Mati (King George's Medical University) ;
- Jetley, Sujata (Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research)
- Published : 2016.08.01
Purpose: To evaluate the expression of Her2/neu and Ki-67 in benign and malignant gallbladder lesions, and to establish correlations with clinico-pathologic parameters. Materials and Methods: A retrospective analysis was conducted on formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) benign (n=25) and malignant gallbladder (n=25) tissue samples. Hematoxylin and eosin stained slides of each case were reviewed for: type of malignancy (whether adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, or any other type), grade (well, moderate, and poor), depth of invasion, pre-neoplastic changes in adjacent mucosal epithelium like metaplasia and dysplasia. Immunohistochemistry for Her 2 neu and Ki-67 was performed and data analysis was conducted using SPSS 17 software. Chi-square test was used to compare categorical/dichotomous variables. P value of
Gallbladder cancer;her 2 neu;Ki-67;chronic cholecystitis
Supported by : Indian Council of Medical Research
- Artico M, Bronzetti E, Alicino V, et al (2010). Human gallbladder carcinoma: Role of neutrophins, MIB-1, CD34 and CA15-3. Eur J Histo, 54, 10. https://doi.org/10.4081/ejh.2010.e10
- Barreto SG, Dutt A, Chaudhary A (2014). A genetic model for gallbladder carcinogenesis and its dissemination. Ann Oncol, 25, 1086-97. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu006
- Bizama C, Garcia P, Espinoza JA, et al (2015). Targeting specific molecular pathways holds promise for advanced gallbladder cancer therapy. Cancer Treat Rev, 41, 222-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2015.01.003
- Chaube A, Tewari M, Garbyal RS, et al (2006). Preliminary study of p53 and c-erbB-2 expression in gallbladder cancer in Indian patients. BMC Cancer, 6, 126. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-126
- Chua TC, Merrett ND (2012). Clinicopathologic factors associated with HER2-positive gastric cancer and its impact on survival outcomes-a systematic review. Int J Cancer, 130, 2845-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26292
- Dhir V, Mohandas KM (1999). Epidemiology of digestive tract cancers in India IV. Gall bladder and pancreas. Indian J Gastroenterol, 18, 24-8.
- Doval DC, Azam S, Sinha R, et al (2014). Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor, p53, Bcl2, vascular endothelial growth factor, cyclooxygenase-2, cyclin D1, human epidermal receptor-2 and Ki-67: Association with clinicopathological profiles and outcomes in gallbladder carcinoma. J Carcinog, 13, 10. https://doi.org/10.4103/1477-3163.139450
- Ghosh Y, Thakurdas B (2015). Carcinoma gallbladder: A review of literature. Int J Scien Study, 2, 98-103.
- Goldin RD, Roa JC (2009). Gallbladder cancer: a morphological and molecular update. Histopathol, 55, 218-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2559.2008.03192.x
- Grau LAH, Badia JM, Salvador CA, et al (2004). Gallbladder carcinoma: the role of p53 protein overexpression and Ki-67 antigen as prognostic markers. HPB (Oxford), 6, 174-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/13651820410025110
- Harder J, Waiz O, Otto F (2009). EGFR and HER2 expression in advanced biliary tract cancer. World J Gastroenterol, 15, 4511-7. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.15.4511
- Hui AM, Shi YZ, Li X, et al (2002). Proliferative marker Ki-67 in gallbladder carcinomas: high expression level predicts early recurrence after surgical resection. Cancer Lett, 176, 191-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(01)00749-2
- Hundal R, Shaffer EA (2014). Gallbladder Cancer: epidemiology and outcome. Clin Epidemiol, 6, 99-109.
- Javle M, Churi C, Kang HSC, et al (2015). HER2/neu-directed therapy for biliary tract cancer. J Hematol Oncol, 8, 58. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13045-015-0155-z
- Kai K, Masuda M, Ide T, et al (2013). Mitotic count reflects prognosis of gallbladder cancer particularly among patients with T3 tumor. Mol Clin Oncol, 1, 633-8. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2013.121
- Kapoor VK, McMichael AJ (2003). Gallbladder cancer: an ‘Indian’ disease. Natl Med J India, 16, 209-13.
- Kawamoto T, Krishnamurthy S, Tarco E, et al (2007). HER receptor family: novel candidate for targeted therapy for gall bladder and extrahepatic bile duct cancer. Gastrointest Cancer Res, 1, 221-7.
- Kim YW, Huh SH, Park YK (2001). Expression of the c-erb-B2 and p53 protein in gallbladder carcinomas. Oncol Rep, 8, 1127-32.
- Kumari N, Kapoor VK, Krishnani N, et al (2012). Role of C-erbB2 expression in gallbladder cancer. Indian J Pathol Microbiol, 55, 75-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0377-4929.94862
- Matsuyama S, Kitajima Y, Sumi K, et al (2004). Gallbladder cancers rarely overexpress HER-2/neu, demonstrated by Hercep test. Oncol Rep, 11, 815-9.
- Mitri Z, Constantine T, O'Regan (2012). The HER2 receptor in breast cancer: pathophysiology: clinical use, and new advances in therapy. Chemother Res Pract, 2012, 743193.
- Nakazawa K, Dobashi Y, Suzuki S, et al (2005). Amplification and overexpression of C-erbB2, epidermal growth factor receptor, and c-met in biliary tract cancers. J Pathol, 206, 356-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1779
- Puhalla H, Wrba F, Kandioler D (2007). Expression of p21(Waf1/ Cip1), p57(Kip2) and HER2/neu in patients with gallbladder cancer. Anticancer Res, 27, 1679-84.
- Rakic M, Patrlj L, Kopljar M, et al (2014). Gallbladder cancer. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr, 3, 221-6.
- Roa EI, Elorza DX, Lantadilla HS, et al (2009). Immunohistochemical expression of Ki67 as a marker of proliferation in gallbladder mucosa samples with or without cancer. Rev Med Chil, 137, 881-7.
- Roa I, de Toro G, Schalper K, et al (2014). Overexpression of the HER2/neu gene: a new therapeutic possibility for patients with advanced gallbladder cancer. Gastrointestinal Cancer Res, 7, 42-8.
- Shrestha ML, Miyake H, Kikutsuji T, et al (1998). Prognostic significance of Ki67 and p53 antigen expression in carcinomas of bile duct and gallbladder. J med Invest, 45, 95-102.
- Toledo C, Matus CE, Barraza X, et al (2012). Expression of HER2 and bradykinin B1 receptors in precursor lesions of gallbladder carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol, 18, 1208-15. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v18.i11.1208