- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Assessing Breast Cancer Risk among Iranian Women Using the Gail Model
- Khazaee-Pool, Maryam (Department of Health Education and Promotion, School of Health, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Majlessi, Fereshteh (School of Public Health, Knowledge Utilization Research Center) ;
- Nedjat, Saharnaz (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Montazeri, Ali (Mental Health Research Group, Health Metrics Research Center, Institute for Health Sciences Research, ACECR) ;
- Janani, leila (Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Iran University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pashaei, Tahereh (Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.08.01
Background: Breast cancer risk assessment is a helpful method for estimating development of breast cancer at the population level. Materials and Methods: In this cross-sectional study, participants consisted of a group of 3,847 volunteers (
Supported by : Tehran University of medical sciences
- Abu-Rustum N, Herbolsheimer H (2001). Breast cancer risk assessment in indigent women at a public hospita. Gynecologic Oncol, 81, 287-290. https://doi.org/10.1006/gyno.2001.6160
- Andreeva VA, Pokhrel P (2013). Breast cancer screening utilization among Eastern European immigrant women worldwide: a systematic literature review and a focus on psychosocial barriers. Psycho-Oncol, 22, 2664-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.3344
- Bevers TB, Anderson BO, Bonaccio E, et al (2009). NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: breast cancer screening and diagnosis. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 7, 1060-1096. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2009.0070
- Ceber E, Mermer G, Okcin F, et al (2013). Breast cancer risk and early diagnosis applications in Turkish women aged 50 and over. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5877-5882. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5877
- Ceber, E., M. T. Soyer, M. Ciceklioglu and S. Cimat (2006). Breast cancer risk assessment and risk perception on nurses and midwives in Bornova Health District in Turkey. Cancer Nurs, 29, 244-249. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200605000-00013
- Chay WY, Ong WS, Tan PH, et al (2012). Validation of the Gail model for predicting individual breast cancer risk in a prospective nationwide study of 28,104 Singapore women. Breast Cancer Res, 14, 19.
- Costantino JP, Gail MH, Pee D, et al (1999). Validation studies for models projecting the risk of invasive and total breast cancer incidence. J Natl Cancer Inst, 91, 1541-1548. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/91.18.1541
- Dano H, Andersen O, Ewertz M, Petersen JH, Lynge E (2003). Socioeconomic status and breast cancer in Denmark. Int J Epidemiol, 32, 218-224. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyg049
- Dano H, Hansen K, Jensen P (2004). Fertility pattern does not explain social gradient in breast cancer in Denmark. Int J Cancer, 111, 451-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20203
- Davis S., Stewart S, Bloom J (2004). Increasing the accuracy of perceived breast cancer risk: results from a randomized trial with Cancer Information Service callers. Prev Med, 39, 64-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.02.043
- Erbil N, Dundar N, Inan C, Bolukbas N (2015). Breast cancer risk assessment using the Gail model: a Turkish study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 303-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.303
- Ferrer J, Neyro JL, Estevez A (2005). Identification of risk factors for prevention and early diagnosis of a-symptomatic postmenopausal women. Maturitas, 52, 7-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2005.06.017
- Gail MH, Brinton LA, Byar DP, et al (1989). Projecting individualized probabilities of developing breast cancer for white females who are being examined annually. J Natl Cancer Inst, 81, 1879-86. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/81.24.1879
- Gao F, Machin D, Chow KY, et al (2012). Assessing risk of breast cancer in an ethnically South-East Asia population (results of a multiple ethnic groups study). BMC Cancer, 12, 529. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-529
- Karakayali F, Ekici Y, Sevmis S (2007). Gail model for determination of the risk factors of breast cancer. Turkish J Surgery, 23, 129-35.
- Khazaee-pool M, Majlessi F, Foroushani AR, Montazeri A, Nedjat S, Shojaeizadeh D, Tol A, Salimzadeh H (2014). Perception of breast cancer screening among Iranian women without experience of mammography: a qualitative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3965-71. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.9.3965
- Khazaee-Pool M, Montazeri A, Majlessi F, Rahimi Foroushani A, Nedjat S, Shojaeizadeh D (2014). Breast cancer-preventive behaviors: exploring Iranian women’s experiences. BMC Womens Health, 14, 41. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-14-41
- Mermer G, Meseri R (2011). Evaluation of breast cancer risk status of women aged 40 and above, living in Kemalpasa District, Izmir. STED J, 20, 51-56.
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, Harirchi AM, Sajadian A, Khaleghi F, Ebrahimi M, Haghighat S, Jarvandi S (2008). Breast cancer in Iran: need for greater women awareness of warning signs and effective screening methods. Asia Pac Fam Med, 7, 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1447-056X-7-6
- Nechuta S, Paneth N, Velie EM (2010). Pregnancy characteristics and maternal breast cancer risk: a review of the epidemiologic literature. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 967-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9524-7
- Seyednoori T, Pakseresht S, Roushan Z (2012). Risk of developing breast cancer by utilizing Gail model. Women Health, 52, 391-402. https://doi.org/10.1080/03630242.2012.678476
- Sifuentes-Alvarez A, Castaneda-Martinez LY, Lugo-Nevares M, Reyes-Romero MA (2015). Risk factors associated with breast cancer women’s in Durango, Mexico. Ginecol Obstet Mex, 83, 662-9.
- Yilmaz M, Guler G, Bekar M, Guler N (2011). Risk of breast cancer, health beliefs and screening behaviour among Turkish academic women and housewives. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 817-22.