- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Immunohistochemical Expression of B Cell Lymphoma-2 with Clinicopathological Correlation in Triple Negative Breast Cancers in Northern Pakistan
- Zubair, Muhammad (Registrar Histopathology, Armed Forces institute of Pathology) ;
- Hashmi, Shoaib Naiyar (Registrar Histopathology, Armed Forces institute of Pathology) ;
- Afzal, Saeed (Registrar Histopathology, Armed Forces institute of Pathology) ;
- Muhammad, Iqbal (Registrar Histopathology, Armed Forces institute of Pathology) ;
- Din, Hafeez Ud (Registrar Histopathology, Armed Forces institute of Pathology) ;
- Ahmed, Rabia (Registrar Histopathology, Armed Forces institute of Pathology)
- Published : 2016.07.01
Background: Triple negative breast cancers (TNBCs) are high grade aggressive tumors generally with a poor prognosis, not responding to hormonal and anti Her2 Neu therapy. Expression of the antiapoptotic B cell lymphoma 2 gene (Bcl-2) is associated with low grade, slowly proliferating hormone receptor positive tumors with improved survival. Anti Bcl2 agents can be used as alternative targeted therapy in triple negative cancers. Materials and Methods: The objective of this study was to determine the immunohistochemical expression of Bcl2 in triple negative breast cancers and any correlation with clinicopathological variables in Northern Pakistan. Results: All 52 patients were females, aged between 28 and 80 years(average
Triple negative breast cancers;B cell lymphoma gene 2;lymphovascular invasion
- Abd El-Hafez, Shawky Mohamed Ael-A, Elesawy BH (2013). Bcl-2 Expression among Triple Negative and Non-Triple Negative Breast Cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 1037-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.2.1037
- Badve S, Dabbs DJ, Schnitt SJ, et al (2011). Basal-like and triplenegative breast cancers: a critical review with an emphasis on the implications for pathologists and oncologists. Modern Pathol, 24, 157-67. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2010.200
- Bertucci F, Finetti P, Cervera N, et al (2008). How basal are triple-negative breast cancers? Int J Cancer, 123, 236-240. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23518
- Callagy G, Cattaneo E, Daigo Y, et al (2003). Molecular classification of breast carcinomas using tissue microarrays. Diagn Mol Pathol, 12, 27-34. https://doi.org/10.1097/00019606-200303000-00004
- Formenti SC, Arslan AA, Love SM (2012). Global breast cancer: The lessons to bring home. Int J Breast Cancer, 2012, 249501.
- Fulford LG, Reis-Filho JS, Ryder K, et al (2007). Basal-like grade III invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast: patterns of metastasis and long-term survival. Breast Cancer Res, 9, 4.
- Hicks DG, Short SM, Prescott NL, et al (2006). Breast cancers with brain metastases are more likely to be estrogen receptor negative, express the basal cytokeratin CK5 / 6, and overexpress HER2 or EGFR. Am J Surg Pathol, 30, 1097-104.
- Kakarala M, Rozek L, Cote M, Liyanage S, Brenner DE (2010). Breast cancer histology and receptor status characterization in Asian Indian and Pakistani women in the U.S. a SEER analysis. BMC Cancer, 10, 191. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-10-191
- Oakes SR, Vaillant F, Lim E, et al (2012). Sensitization of BCL-2-expressing breast tumors to chemotherapy by the BH3 mimetic ABT-737. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 109, 2766-71. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1104778108
- Ontilio AA, Engel JM, Greenlee RT, Mukesh BN. (2009). Breast Cancer Subtypes Based on ER/PR and Her2 expression: Comparison of clinicopathological features and survival. Clin Med Res, 7, 4-13. https://doi.org/10.3121/cmr.2008.825
- Pala EE, Bayol U, Cumurcu S, et al (2012). Immunohistochemical Characteristics of Triple Negative/Basal-like Breast Cancer. Turk Patoloji Derg, 28, 238-44.
- Peppercorn J, Perou CM, Carey LA (2008). Molecular subtypes in breast cancer evaluation and management: divide and conquer. Cancer Invest, 26, 1. https://doi.org/10.1080/07357900701784238
- Reis-Filho JS, Tutt AN (2008). Triple negative tumours: a critical review. Histopathol, 52, 108-18.
- Ryu DW, Lee CH (2012). Outcome of triple-negative breast cancer in patients with or without markers regulating cell cycle and cell death. J Korean Surg Soc, 4, 187-95.
- Sezgin Alikanoglu A, Yildirim M, Suren D, et al (2014). Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and Bcl-2 in breast cancer and their relationship with triple-negative disease. J BUON, 2, 430-4.
- Shafqat G, Masror I, Rehan M, Afzal S, Agha A (2011). Dynamic contrast enhanced MRI breast for lesion detection and characterization with histopathological co relation: Preliminary experience at tertiary care hospital. J Pak Med Assoc, 61, 3.
- Tawfik K, Kimler BF, Davis MK, Fan F, Tawfik O (2012). Prognostic significance of Bcl-2 in invasive mammary carcinomas: a comparative clinicopathologic study between "triple negative and non triple negative" tumors. Hum Pathol, 1, 23-30.