- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Decreased Serum Monocyte Chemoattractant Protein-1 in Salivary Gland Tumor Patients
- Mardani, Maryam (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Andisheh-Tadbir, Azadeh (Prevention of Oral and Dental Disease Research Center, School of Dentistry, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Khademi, Bijan (Shiraz Institute for Cancer Research, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Melekzadeh, Mahyar (Shiraz Institute for Cancer Research, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Vaziri, Lida (Undergraduate Student, School of Dentistry Shiraz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.07.01
Background: The monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1/CCL2) is a potent chemoattractant for natural killer cells, monocytes, and memory T lymphocytes. However, any role in the genesis of salivary gland tumors (SGT) is unknown. To assess the diagnostic relevance of chemokines in SGT, MCP-1 levels in the serum of patients were investigated in association with tumor progression and clinical aggressiveness. Materials and Methods: Using an ELISA kit, we assessed and compared the circulating levels of MCP-1 in blood serum of 70 SGT patients with 44 healthy control samples. Results: The results of this study showed that the concentration of MCP-1 was significantly lower in patients with benign (
Salivary gland tumor;MCP-1;pleomorphic adenoma;adenoid cystic carcinoma;mucoepidermoid
Supported by : Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
- Andisheh-Tadbir A, Khademi B, Malekzadeh M, et al (1014). Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 serum levels in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Biol Sci, 14, 322.
- Bolat F, Kayaselcuk F, Nursal TZ, et al (2006). Microvessel density, VEGF expression, and tumor-associated macrophages in breast tumors: correlations with prognostic parameters. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 25, 365-72.
- Church TS, Willis MS, Priest EL, et al (2005). Obesity, macrophage migration inhibitory factor, and weight loss. Int J Obes, 29, 675-81. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802942
- Christiansen T, Richelsen B, Bruun JM (2005). Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 is produced in isolated adipocytes, associated with adiposity and reduced after weight loss in morbid obese subjects. Int J Obes, 29, 146-50. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0802839
- Deshmane SL, Kremlev S, Amini S, et al(2009). Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1): an overview. J Interferon Cytokine Res, 29, 313-26. https://doi.org/10.1089/jir.2008.0027
- Ding L, Li B, Zhao Y, et al (2014). Serum CCL2 and CCL3 as potential biomarkers for the diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Tumour Biol, 3, 10539-46.
- Heywood G, Vezeridis MP, Wanebo HJ(1998). Surgical therapy of pancreatic cancer. Front biosci, 3, 175-80. https://doi.org/10.2741/A374
- Huang S, Singh RK, Xie K, et al(1994). Expression of the JE/MCP-1 gene suppresses metastatic potential in murine colon carcinoma cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother, 39, 231-8.
- Ishioka K, Suzuki Y, Tajima K, et al (2013). Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 in dogs affected with neoplasia or inflammation. J Vet Med Sci, 75, 173-7.
- Jaafari-Ashkavandi Z, Ashraf MJ, Moshaverinia M (2013). Salivary gland tumors: a clinicopathologic study of 366 cases in southern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 27-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.27
- Kantola T, Klintrup K, Vayrynen JP, et al (2012). Stagedependent alterations of the serum cytokine pattern in colorectal carcinoma. Br J Cancer, 107, 1729-36. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.456
- Klintrup K, Makinen JM, Kauppila S, et al (2005). Inflammation and prognosis in colorectal cancer. Eur J Can, 41, 2645-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.07.017
- Koizumi K, Hojo S, Akashi T, et al(2007). Chemokine receptors in cancer metastasis and cancer cell-derived chemokines in host immune response. Cancer Sci, 98, 1652-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2007.00606.x
- Loberg RD, Ying C, Craig M, et al (2007). CCL2 as an important mediator of prostate cancer growth in vivo through the regulation of macrophage infiltration. Neoplasia, 9, 556-62. https://doi.org/10.1593/neo.07307
- Matsushima K, Larsen CG, DuBois GC, et al (1989). Purification and characterization of a novel monocyte chemotactic and activating factor produced by a human myelomonocytic cell line. J Exp Med, 169, 1485-90. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.169.4.1485
- Monti P, Leone BE, Marchesi F, et al (2003). The CC chemokine MCP-1/CCL2 in pancreatic cancer progression: regulation of expression and potential mechanisms of antimalignant activity. Cancer Res, 63, 7451-61.
- Nakashima E, Mukaida N, Kubota Y,et al (1995). Human MCAF gene transfer enhances the metastatic capacity of a mouse cachectic adenocarcinoma cell line in vivo. Pharm Res, 12, 1598-604. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016276613684
- Nakashima J, Tachibana M, Ueno M, et al(1998). Association between tumor necrosis factor in serum and cachexia in patients with prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 4, 1743-8.
- Negus RP, Stamp GW, Relf MG, et al (1995). The detection and localization of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1) in human ovarian cancer. J Clin Invest, 95, 2391-6. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI117933
- Nesbit M, Schaider H, Miller TH, et al (2001). Low-level monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 stimulation of monocytes leads to tumor formation in nontumorigenic melanoma cells. J Immunol, 166, 6483-90. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.166.11.6483
- Ohta M, Kitadai Y, Tanaka S, et al(2003). Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 expression correlates with macrophage infiltration and tumor vascularity in human gastric carcinomas. Int J Oncol, 22, 773-8.
- Razmkhah M, Arabpour F, Taghipour M,et al (2014). Expression of chemokines and chemokine receptors in brain tumor tissue derived cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 201-5.
- Sambyal V, Guleria K, Kapahi R,et al (2015). Association of the -2518 A/G polymorphism of MCP-1 with breast cancer in Punjab, North-West India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7243-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7243
- Tonouchi H, Miki C, Tanaka K, et al (2002). Profile of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 circulating levels in gastric cancer patients. Scand J Gastroenterolm, 7, 830-3.
- Tsaur I, Noack A, Waaga-Gasser AM, et al (2001). Chemokines involved in tumor promotion and dissemination in patients with renal cell cancer. Cancer Biomark, 10, 195-204.
- Ueno T, Toi M, Saji H, et al(2000). Significance of macrophage chemoattractant protein-1 in macrophage recruitment, angiogenesis, and survival in human breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 6, 3282-9.
- Valkovic T, Lucin K, Krstulja M, et al (1998). Expression of monocyte chemotactic protein-1 in human invasive ductal breast cancer. Pathol Res Pract, 194, 335-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0344-0338(98)80057-5
- Wang WW, Ang SF, Kumar R, et al (2013). Identification of serum monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and prolactin as potential tumor markers in hepatocellular carcinoma. PloS One, 8, 68904. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0068904
- Waugh DJ, Wilson C, Seaton A, et al (2008). Multi-faceted roles for CXC-chemokines in prostate cancer progression. Front Biosci, 13, 4595-604.
- Wu J, Liu X, Wang Y (2013). Predictive value of preoperative serum CCL2, CCL18, and VEGF for the patients with gastric cancer. BMC Clinical Pathol, 13, 15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6890-13-15
- Yoshimura T, Robinson EA, Tanaka S, et al (1989). Purification and amino acid analysis of two human glioma-derived monocyte chemoattractants. J Exp Med, 169, 1449-59. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.169.4.1449