- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Risk Factors for Breast Cancer in Postmenopausal Women in Brazil
- Borghesan, Deise Helena Pelloso (Nursing, Maringa State University) ;
- Dell'Agnolo, Catia Millene (Nursing, Maringa State University) ;
- Gravena, Angela Andreia Francam (Nursing, Maringa State University) ;
- de Oliveira Demitto, Marcela (Nursing, Maringa State University) ;
- Lopes, Tiara Cristina Romeiro (Nursing, Maringa State University) ;
- de Barros Carvalho, Maria Dalva (Nursing, Maringa State University) ;
- Pelloso, Sandra Marisa (Nursing, Maringa State University)
- Published : 2016.07.01
Purpose: To analyze risk factors for postmenopausal breast cancer. Methods: The present case-control study included 600 women treated at a cancer center reference hospital in a municipality in the South of Brazil. Results: Totals of 100 patients and 500 control subjects were evaluated. The mean age of the women was
Breast cancer;case-control study;reproductive factors;risk factors;obesity;overweight
- Amadou A, Torres-Mejia G, Hainaut P, et al (2014). Breast cancer in Latin America: global burden, patterns, and risk factors. Salud Publica De Mexico, 56, 547-54. https://doi.org/10.21149/spm.v56i5.7379
- Anjos, JC, Alayala A, Hofelmann DA (2012). Factors associated with breast cancer among women in a city in southern Brazil: case-control study. Cad Saude Colet, 20, 341-50.
- Anothaisintawee T, Teerawattananon Y, Wiratkapun C, et al (2014). Development and validation of a breast cancer risk prediction model for Thai women: a cross-sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6811-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6811
- Assis HA, Khoury KE, Dbouk H, et al (2013). Epidemiology and prognosis of breast cancer in young women. J Thorac Dis, 5, 2-8.
- Bellocco R, Marrone G, Ye W, et al (2015). A prospective cohort study of the combined effects of physical activity and anthropometric measures on the risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. Eur J Epidemiol.
- Bhadoria AS, Kapil U, Sareen N, et al (2013). Reproductive factors and breast cancer: A case-control study in tertiary care hospital of North India. Indian J Cancer, 50, 316-321. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.123606
- Branstrom R, Petersson LM, Saboonchi F, et al (2015). Physical activity following a breast cancer diagnosis: Implications for self-rated health and cancer-related symptoms. European J Oncol Nur.
- Brazil. Ministry of Health. National Cancer Institute (2013). National Programme breast cancer control.
- Brazil. Ministry of Health (2014). National Cancer Institute Jose Alencar Gomes da Silva. INCA. Estimate 2014. Estimation of cancer in Brazil.
- Brazil. Ministry of Health. Vigitel. Surveillance of Risk and Protective Factors for Chronic Diseases Telephone Survey (2014).
- Breen N, Cronin A, Meissner HI, et al (2007). Reported drop in mammography: is this cause for concern? Cancer, 109, 2405-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.22723
- Caserta D, Ralli E, Matteucci E, et al (2014). Combined oral contraceptives: health benefits beyond contraception. Panminerva Med, 56, 233-44.
- Chan DS, Vieira AR, Aune D, et al (2014). Body mass index and survival in women with breast cancer-systematic literature review and meta-analysis of 82 follow-up studies. Ann Oncol, 25, 1901-14. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu042
- Chlebowski RT, Manson JE, Anderson GL, et al (2013). Estrogen plus progestin and breast cancer incidence and mortality in the Women's Health Initiative observational study. J Natl Cancer Inst, 105, 526-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djt043
- Copson Er, Cutress Ri, Maishman T, et al (2015). POSH Study Steering Group. Obesity and the outcome of Young breast cancer patients in the UK: the POSH study. Ann Oncol, 26, 101. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu509
- Devoogdt N, Van Kampen M, Geraerts I, et al (2010). Physical activity levels after treatment for breast cancer: one-year followup. Breast Cancer Res Treatment, 123, 417e425.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010).
- Globocan 2008, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 10. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2010.
- Forouzanfar MH, Foreman KJ, Delossantos AM, et al (2011). Breast and cervical cancer in 187 countries between 1980 and 2010: a systematic analysis. Lancet, 378, 1461-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61351-2
- Gross PE, Lee BL, Badovinac-Crnjevic T, et al (2013). Planning cancer control in Latin America and the Caribbean. Lancet Oncol, 14, 391-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70048-2
- Guo L, Li N, Wang G, et al (2015). Body mass index and cancer incidence: a prospective cohort study in northern China. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi, 36, 531-4.
- Hartz AJ, He T (2013). Cohort study of risk factors for breast cancer in post menopausal women. Epidemiol Health, 35, 2013003. https://doi.org/10.4178/epih/e2013003
- Hellman SS, Njor SH, Lynge E, et al (2015). Body mass index and participation in organized mammographic screening: a prospective cohort study. Cancer, 15, 294.
- Herlevic VC, Mowad R, Miller K, et al (2015). Breast cancer outcomes in a population with high prevalence of obesity. J Surgical Res, 2, 371-6.
- Ibrahim EM, Al-Homaidh A (2011). Physical activity and survival after breast cancer diagnosis: meta-analysis of published studies. Med Oncol, 28, 753-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-010-9536-x
- Ichida M, Kataoka A, Tshushima R, et al (2015). No increase in Breast Cancer risk in Japanese women taking oral contraceptives: a case-control study investigating reproductive, menstrual and familial risk factors for breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3685-90. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3685
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. Globocan (2012). Estimated Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2012.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Justo N, Wilking N, Jonsson B, et al (2013). A review of breast cancer care and outcomes in Latin America. Oncologist, 18, 248-56. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2012-0373
- Kaaks R, Rinaldi S, Key TJ, et al (2005). Postmenopausal serum androgens, oestrogens and breast cancer risk: the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Endocrin Relat Cancer, 12, 1071-82. https://doi.org/10.1677/erc.1.01038
- Kabat GC, Xue X, Kamensky V, et al (2014). Risk of breast, endometrial, colorectal, and renal cancers in postmenopausal women in association with a body shape index and other anthropometric measures. Cancer Causes Control, 26, 219-29.
- Karim SM, Baeshen W, Neamatullah SN, et al (2015). Oral contraceptives, abortion and breast cancer risk: a case control study in Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3957-3960. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3957
- Kim RB, Phillips A, Herrick K, et al (2013). Physical activity and sedentary behavior of cancer survivors and non-cancer individuals: results from a national survey. PLoS One, 8, 57598. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057598
- Knaul FM, Wong R, Arreola-Ornelas H, et al (2011). Household catastrophic health expenditures: a comparative analysis of twelve Latin American and Caribbean Countries. Salud Publica Mex, 53, 85-95.
- Lee BL, Liedke PE, Barrios CH, et al (2012). Breast cancer in Brazil: present status and future goals. Lancet Oncol, 13, 95-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70323-0
- Minatoya M, Kutomi G, Shima H, et al (2014). Relation of serum adiponectin levels and obesity with breast cancer: a Japanese case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8325-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8325
- Phillips SM, Dodd KW, Steeves J, et al (2015). Physical activity and sedentary behavior in breast cancer survivors: New insight into activity patterns and potential intervention targets. Gynecol Oncol.
- Pinto BM, Dunsiger S, Waldemore M. Oct (2013). Physical activity and psychosocial benefits among breast cancer patients. Psychooncol, 22, 2193-9.
- Reeves GK, Kan SW, Key T, et al (2006). Breast cancer risk in relation to abortion: Results from the EPIC study. Int J Cancer, 119, 1741-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22001
- Robinson PJ, Bell RJ, Davis SR (2014). Obesity is associated with a poorer prognosis in women with hormone receptor positive breast cancer. Maturitas, 79, 279-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2014.07.004
- Rose DP, Vona-Davis L (2009). Influence of obesity on breast cancer receptor status and prognosis. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther, 9, 1091-101. https://doi.org/10.1586/era.09.71
- Schuz J, Espina C, Villain P, et al (2015). European Code against Cancer 4th edition: 12 ways to reduce your cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol.
- Si S, Boyle T, Heyworth J, et al (2015). Lifetime physical activity and risk of breast cancer in pre-and-post-menopausal women. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 152, 449-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-015-3489-x
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal. A (2012). Cancer statistics for Hispanics/Latinos, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 283-298. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21153
- Speck RM, Courneya KS, Masse LC, et al (2010). An update of controlled physical activity trials in cancer survivors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Cancer Surviv, 4, 87-100. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-009-0110-5
- Stuver SO, Zhu J, Simchowitz B, et al (2011). Identifying women at risk of delayed breast cancer diagnosis. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf, 37, 568-575. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1553-7250(11)37073-0
- Suhrke P, Zahl P-H (2015). Breast cancer incidence and menopausal hormone therapy in Norway from 2004 to 2009: a register-based cohort study. Cancer Med, 4, 1303-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.474
- United Nations (2013). World contraceptive patterns.
- U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999-2011 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute; 2014.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (2008). Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Summary.
- Vaisy A, Lotfinejad S, Zhian F (2014). Risk of cancer with combined oral contraceptive use among Iranian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5517-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5517
- World Bank (2010). World Development Indicators.
World Health Organization (2013). Obesity and overweight. Fact sheet
- World Health Organization (2015). Cancer. Breast cancer: prevention and control.
- World Health Organization (2015). Health Topics. Obesity. Data and statistics.
- Zhang Q, Liu Ly, Wang F, et al (2012). The changes in female physical and childbearing characteristics in China and potential association with risk of breast cancer. BMC Public Health, 12, 368. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-368