- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Gene Expression of CYP1A1 and its Possible Clinical Application in Thyroid Cancer Cases
- Gallegos-Vargas, JA (Service of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Hospital Central Militar, Secretaria de la Defensa Nacional) ;
- Sanchez-Roldan, J (Service of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Hospital Central Militar, Secretaria de la Defensa Nacional) ;
- Ronquillo-Sanchez, MD (Section of Graduate Studies and Research, Escuela Superior de Medicina, Instituto Politecnico Nacional) ;
- Carmona-Aparicio, L (Laboratory of Neurosciences (Neurochemistry), Instituto Nacional de Pediatria) ;
- Floriano-Sanchez, E (Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Escuela Militar de Graduados de Sanidad, Secretaria de la Defensa Nacional) ;
- Cardenas-Rodriguez, N (Laboratory of Neurosciences (Neurochemistry), Instituto Nacional de Pediatria)
- 발행 : 2016.07.01
Background: Thyroid cancer is the most common endocrine malignancy, and exact causes remain unknown. The role of CYP450 1A1 (CYP1A1) in cancer initiation and progression has been investigated. The aim of this work was to analyze, for the first time, CYP1A1 gene expression and its relationship with several clinicopathological factors in Mexican patients diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Materials and Methods: Real-time PCR analysis was conducted on 32 sets of thyroid tumors and benign pathologies. Expression levels were tested for correlations with clinical and pathological data. All statistical analysis were performed using GraphPad Prism version 3.0 software. Results: We found that female gender was associated with thyroid cancer risk (P<0.05). A positive relationship was identified between CYP1A1 mRNA levels and the presence of chronic disease, alcohol use, tumor size, metastasis and an advanced clinical stage (P<0.05). Conclusions: The results suggest that CYP1A1 gene expression could be used as a marker for thyroid cancer.
Thyroid cancer;cytochrome P450 1A1;molecular marker
- Abel GA, Shelton J, Johnson S, Elliss-Brookes L, Lyratzopoulos G (2015). Cancer-specific variation in emergency presentation by sex, age and deprivation across 27 common and rarer cancers. Br J Cancer, 112, 129-36. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2015.52
- Autrup JL, Hansen C, Autrup H (1992). Detection of tobacco smoke carcinogen-DNA adducts in cultured rat buccal mucosa cells following exposure to ethanol and total cigarette smoke condensate or chewing tobacco. Chem Biol Interact, 85, 141-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2797(92)90058-S
- Barbieri RB, Bufalo NE, Cunha LL, et al (2013). Genes of detoxification are important modulators of hereditary medullary thyroid carcinoma risk. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 79, 288-93. https://doi.org/10.1111/cen.12136
- Barnes S, Singletary K, Frey R (2000). Ethanol and acetaldehyde enhance benzo[a]pyrene-DNA adduct formation in human mammary epithelial cells. Carcinogenesis (Lond), 21, 2123-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/21.11.2123
- Beresford AP (1993). CYP1A1: Friend or foe? Drug Metab Rev, 25, 503-15. https://doi.org/10.3109/03602539308993984
- Bosetti C, Negri E, Kolonel L, et al (2002). A pooled analysis of case-control studies of thyroid cancer. VII. Cruciferous and other vegetables (International). Cancer Causes Control, 13, 765-75. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020243527152
- Brindel P, Doyon F, Rachedi F, et al (2008). Menstrual and reproductive factors in the risk of differentiated thyroid carcinoma in native women in French Polynesia: a population-based case-control study. Am J Epidemiol, 167, 219-29.
- Brito JP, Morris JC, Montori VM (2013). Thyroid cancer: zealous imaging has increased detection and treatment of low risk tumours. BMJ, 347, 4706. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f4706
- Bufalo NE, Leite JL, Guilhen ACT, et al (2006). Smoking and susceptibility to thyroid cancer: an inverse association with CYP1A1 allelic variants. Endocr Relat Cancer, 13, 1185-93. https://doi.org/10.1677/ERC-06-0002
- Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR, et al (2009). American Thyroid Association (ATA) Guidelines TaskForce on Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid, 19, 1167-214. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2009.0110
- Dees EC, Watkins PB (2005). Role of cytochrome P450 phenotyping in cancer treatment. J Clin Oncol, 23, 1053-5. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.09.927
- Floriano-Sanchez E, Cardenas-Rodriguez N, Castro-Marin M, Alvarez-Grave P, Lara-Padilla E (2009). DD3(PCA3) gene expression in cancer and prostatic hyperplasia. Clin Invest Med, 32, E258-64. https://doi.org/10.25011/cim.v32i6.10661
- GLOBOCAN 2012. http://globocan.iarc.fr/Default.aspx. Accessed December 4, 2015.
- Guo K, Wang Z (2014). Risk factors influencing the recurrence of papillary thyroid carcinoma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol, 7, 5393-5403.
- He XF, Wei W, Liu ZZ, et al (2014). Association between the CYP1A1 T3801C polymorphism and risk of cancer: evidence from 268 case-control studies. Gene, 534, 324-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2013.10.025
- Hussain T, Al-Attas OS, Al-Daghri NM, et al (2014). Induction of CYP1A1, CYP1A2, CYP1B1, increased oxidative stress and inflammation in the lung and liver tissues of rats exposed to incense smoke. Mol Cell Biochem, 391, 127-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11010-014-1995-5
- Ito S, Chen C, Satoh J, Yim S, Gonzalez FJ (2007). Dietary phytochemicals regulate whole-body CYP1A1 expression through an arylhydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocatordependent system in gut. J Clin Invest, 117, 1940-50. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI31647
- Izzotti A, Balansky R, Blagoeva P, et al (1998). DNA alterations in rat organs after chronic exposure to cigarette smoke and/or ethanol ingestion. FASEB J, 12, 753-8. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.12.9.753
- Jung CK, Little MP, Lubin JH, et al (2014). The increase in thyroid cancer incidence during the last four decades is accompanied by a high frequency of braf mutations and a sharp increase in RAS mutations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 99, 276-85. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-2851
- Khlifi R, Messaoud O, Rebai A, Hamza-Chaffai A (2013). Polymorphisms in the human cytochrome P450 and arylamine N-acetyltransferase: susceptibility to head and neck cancers. BioMed Res Int, 2013, 1-20.
- Kim D, Guengerich FP (2005). Cytochrome P450 activation of arylamines and heterocyclic amines. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol, 45, 27-49. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.pharmtox.45.120403.100010
- Kim TY, Kim WG, Kim WB, Shong YK (2014). Current status and future perspectives in differentiated thyroid cancer. Endocrinol Metab, 29, 217-25. https://doi.org/10.3803/EnM.2014.29.3.217
- Kye SY, Kwon JH, Kim Y, et al. (2015). Cancer risk factors in Korean news media: a content analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 731-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.731
- Lin J, He B, Cao L, et al (2014). CYP1A1 Ile462Val polymorphism and the risk of non-small cell lung cancer in a Chinese population. Tumori, 100, 547-52.
- Lingappan K, Jiang W, Wang L, et al (2014). Mice deficient in the gene for cytochrome P450 (CYP)1A1 are more susceptible than wild-type to hyperoxic lung injury: evidence for protective role of CYP1A1 against oxidative stress. Toxicol Sci, 141, 68-77. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/kfu106
- Ma Q (2001). Induction of CYP1A1. The AhR/DRE paradigm: transcription, receptor regulation, and expanding biological roles. Curr Drug Metab, 2, 149-64. https://doi.org/10.2174/1389200013338603
- Oyama T, Sugio K, Uramoto H, et al (2007). Cytochrome P450 expression (CYP) in non-small cell lung cancer. Front Biosci, 12, 2299-308. https://doi.org/10.2741/2232
- Pfaffl MW, Horgan GW, Dempfle L (2002). Relative expression software tool (REST) for group-wise comparison and statistical analysis of relative expression results in real-time PCR. Nucleic Acids Res, 30, 36. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/30.9.e36
- Pham TM, Fujino Y, Mikami H, et al (2009). Japan Collaborative Cohort Study Group: Reproductive and menstrual factors and thyroid cancer among Japanese women: the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study. J Womens Health (Larchmt), 18, 331-5. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2008.1038
- Pusztaszeri MP, Bongiovanni M, Faquin WC (2014). Update on the cytologic and molecular features of medullary thyroid carcinoma. Adv Anat Pathol, 21, 31-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAP.0000000000000004
- Reis AAS, Silva DM, Curado MP, da Cruz AD (2010). Involvement of CYP1A1, GST, 72TP53 polymorphisms in the pathogenesis of thyroid nodules. Genet Mol Res, 9, 2222-9. https://doi.org/10.4238/vol9-4gmr807
- Ron E, Lubin JH, Shore RE, et al (1995). Thyroid cancer after exposure to external radiation: a pooled analysis of seven studies. Radiat Res, 141, 259-77. https://doi.org/10.2307/3579003
- Rossing MA, Cushing KL, Voigt LF, Wicklund KG, Daling JR (2000). Risk of papillary thyroid cancer in women in relation to smoking and alcohol consumption. Epidemiol, 11, 49-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-200001000-00011
- Shibru D, Chung K, Kebebew E (2008). Recent developments in the clinical application of thyroid cancer biomarkers. Curr Opin Oncol, 20, 13-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/CCO.0b013e3282f27e49
- Siraj AK, Ibrahim M, Al-Rasheed M, et al (2008) . Polymorphisms of selected xenobiotic genes contribute to the development of papillary thyroid cancer susceptibility in middle eastern population. BMC Med Genet, 9, 61.
- Thamnirat K, Utamakul C, Chamroonrat W, et al (2015). Factors affecting disease-free status of differentiated thyroid carcinoma patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 737-40. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.737
- Tinzl M, Marberger M, Horvath S, Chypre C (2004). DD3PCA3 RNA analysis in urine--a new perspective for detecting prostate cancer. Eur Urol, 46, 182-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2004.06.004
- Tirado L, Granados M (2007). Epidemiologia y etiologia del cancer de la cabeza y el cuello. Cancerologia, 2, 9-17.
- Torres A, Cachofeiro V, Millan J, et al (2015). Red wine intake but not other alcoholic beverages increases total antioxidant capacity and improves pro-inflammatory profile after an oral fat diet in healthy volunteers. Rev Clin Esp, 215, 486-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rce.2015.07.002
- Wahid M, Mahjabeen I, Baig RM, Kayani MA (2013). Expression of CYP1A1 and GSTP1 in human brain tumor tissues in Pakistan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7187-91. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7187
- Williams R (1976). Breast and thyroid cancer and malignant melanoma promoted by alcohol-induced pituitary secretion of prolactin, T.S.H. and M.S.H. Lancet, 307, 996-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(76)91865-1