- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Risk Factors for Gallbladder Cancer in Nepal - a Case Control Study
- Tamrakar, D (Department of Community Medicine, Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences) ;
- Paudel, IS (School of Public Health and Community Medicine, B.P.Koriala Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Adhikary, S (Department of Surgery, B.P.Koriala Institute of Health Sciences) ;
- Rauniyar, B (Department of Medical Oncology, B.P.Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital) ;
- Pokharel, PK (School of Public Health and Community Medicine, B.P.Koriala Institute of Health Sciences)
- Published : 2016.07.01
Background: Gall bladder cancer (GBC) is highly fatal disease with poor prognosis, with a 5 year survival rate of <10%. It is relatively rare cancer worldwide; however it is the sixth cancer and second most common gastrointestinal tract cancer in Nepalese women. The study focused on associations of certain demographic, lifestyle, dietary, and reproductive factors with gall bladder cancer. Materials and Methods: We conducted a hospital-based matched case control study on newly diagnosed cases of primary GBC at BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences and BP Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital. Controls were healthy non-GBC relatives of cancer patients, matched for age, sex and marital status (in case of females) with cases at a ratio of 1:2. Data were collected between April 2012-April 2013 by semi structured interview from both cases and controls. Analyses were carried out with SPSS. Conditional logistic regression was used to find odds ratios and 95% confidence intervals for bivariate and multivariate analysis. Results: A total of 50 cases and 100 controls were enrolled in this study. On bivariate analysis, factors found to be significantly associated with gallbladder cancer were illiteracy (OR=3.29, CI=1.06-10.2), history of gallstone disease (OR=27.6, CI=6.57, 115.6), current smoker (OR=2.42, CI=1.005-5.86), early menarche <13 years (OR=2.64, CI=1.09-6.44), high parity more than 3 (OR=3.12, CI=1.25,7.72), and use of mustard oil (OR=3.63, CI=1.40, 9.40). A significant protective effect was seen with high consumption of fruits at least once a week (OR=0.101, CI=0.03-0.35). On multivariate analysis, history of gallstone disease, early menarche, current smoker and high consumption of fruits persisted as significant factors. Conclusions: History of gallstone disease, cigarette smoking and early menarche were associated with increased risk of gallbladder cancer while high consumption of fruits was found to have a protective effect.
Gallbladder cancer;risk factors;gall stones;smoking;reproductive parameters;fruits;Nepal
- Pradhan B, Chappuis F, Baral D, et al (2012). The alcohol use disorders identification test (AUDIT): validation of a Nepali version for the detection of alcohol use disorders and hazardous drinking in medical settings. Substance Abuse Treat Prevent Policy, 7, 42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1747-597X-7-42
- Pun CB, Pradhananga KK, Siwakoti B, et al (2015). Malignant Neoplasm Burden in Nepal - Data from the Seven Major Cancer Service Hospitals for 2012. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 8659-63.
- Rai A, Mohapatra SC, Shukla HS (2005). Role of fruit consumption in gall bladder cancer. Indian J Gastroenterol, 24, 32-3.
- Rai A, Tewari M, Mohapatra SC, et al (2006). Correlation of nutritional parameters of gallbladder cancer patients. J Surg Oncol, 93, 705-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20539
- Randi G, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C (2006). Gallbladder cancer worldwide: Geographical distribution and risk factors. Int J Cancer, 118, 1591-602. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21683
- Rizvi TJ, Zuberi SJ (2003). Risk factors for gall bladder cancer in Karachi. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad, 15, 16-8.
- Scott TE, Carroll M, Cogliano FD, et al (1999). A case-control assessment of risk factors for gallbladder carcinoma. Dig Dis Sci, 44, 1619-25. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026675329644
- Sharma BD, Malhotra S, Bhatia V, et al (1999). Epidemic dropsy in India. Postgrad Med J, 75, 657-61. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.75.889.657
- Sharma KL, Agarwal A, Misra S, et al (2014). Association of genetic variants of xenobiotic and estrogen metabolism pathway (CYP1A1 and CYP1B1) with gallbladder cancer susceptibility. Tumour Biol, 35, 5431-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-1708-4
- Shrestha R, Tiwari M, Ranabhat S, et al (2010). Incidental gallbladder carcinoma: value of routine histological examination of cholecystectomy specimens. Nepal Med Coll J, 12, 90-4.
- Shrikhande SV, Barreto SG, Singh S, et al (2010). Cholelithiasis in gallbladder cancer: Coincidence, cofactor, or cause! Eur J Surg Oncol, 36, 514-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejso.2010.05.002
- Shukla VK, Chauhan VS, Mishra RN, et al (2008). Lifestyle, reproductive factors and risk of gallbladder cancer. Singapore Med J, 49, 912-5.
- Srivastava A, Sharma KL, Srivastava N, et al (2012). Significant role of estrogen and progesterone receptor sequence variants in gallbladder cancer predisposition: a multi-analytical strategy. PLoS One, 7, 40162. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0040162
- Steinmetz KA, Potter JD (1991). Vegetables, fruit, and cancer. II. Mechanisms. Cancer Causes Control, 2, 427-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00054304
- Stinton LM, Shaffer EA (2012). Epidemiology of gallbladder disease: cholelithiasis and cancer. Gut Liver, 6, 172-87. https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl.2012.6.2.172
- Strom BL, Soloway RD, Rios-Dalenz JL, et al (1995). Risk factors for gallbladder cancer. Cancer, 76, 1747-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19951115)76:10<1747::AID-CNCR2820761011>3.0.CO;2-L
- Tyagi BB, Manoharan N, Raina V (2008). Risk factors for gallbladder cancer:a population based case control study in delhi. Indian J Med Pediatrics, 29, 16-9.
- Wenbin D, Zhuo C, Zhibing M, et al (2013). The effect of smoking on the risk of gallbladder cancer: a meta-analysis of observational studies. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 25, 373-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/MEG.0b013e32835a870b
- Hsing AW, Gao YT, Han TQ, et al (2007). Gallstones and the risk of biliary tract cancer: a population-based study in China. Br J Cancer, 97, 1577-82. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604047
- Iyer P, Barreto SG, Sahoo B, et al (2016). Non-typhoidal Salmonella DNA traces in gallbladder cancer. Infect Agent Cancer, 11, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13027-016-0057-x
- Jain K, Sreenivas V, Velpandian T, et al (2013). Risk factors for gallbladder cancer: A case-control study. Int J Cancer, 132, 1660-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27777
- Kapoor VK, McMichael AJ (2003). Gallbladder cancer: an 'Indian' disease. Natl Med J India, 16, 209-13.
- Kato K, Akai S, Tominaga S, et al (1989). A case-control study of biliary tract cancer in Niigata Prefecture, Japan. Jpn J Cancer Res, 80, 932-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.1989.tb01629.x
- Khan I, Panda N, Banerjee M, et al (2013). Epidemiological factors in gall bladder cancer in eastern India-a single centre study. Indian J Surg Oncol, 4, 67-72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13193-012-0203-x
- Khan ZR, Neugut AI, Ahsan H, et al (1999). Risk factors for biliary tract cancers. Am J Gastroenterol, 94, 149-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1572-0241.1999.00786.x
- Kumar JR, Tewari M, Rai A, et al (2006). An objective assessment of demography of gallbladder cancer. J Surg Oncol, 93, 610-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.20526
- Larsson SC, Wolk A (2007). Obesity and the risk of gallbladder cancer: a meta-analysis. Br J Cancer, 96, 1457-61. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603703
- Lazcano-Ponce EC, Miquel JF, Munoz N, et al (2001). Epidemiology and molecular pathology of gallbladder cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 51, 349-64. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.6.349
- Li Y, Zhang J, Ma H (2014). Chronic inflammation and gallbladder cancer. Cancer Lett, 345, 242-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2013.08.034
- Mishra V, Mishra M, Ansari KM, et al (2012). Edible oil adulterants, argemone oil and butter yellow, as aetiological factors for gall bladder cancer. Eur J Cancer, 48, 2075-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2011.09.026
- Moerman CJ, Berns MPH, de Messqita HBB, et al (1994). Reproductive history and cancer of the biliary tract in women. Int J Cancer, 57, 146-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910570203
- Nervi F, Duarte I, Gomez G, et al (1988). Frequency of gallbladder cancer in chile, A high-risk area. Int J Cancer, 41, 657-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910410503
- Nogueira L, Foerster C, Groopman J, et al (2015). Association of aflatoxin with gallbladder cancer in Chile. JAMA, 313, 2075-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.4559
- Panda D, Sharma A, Shukla NK, et al (2013). Gall bladder cancer and the role of dietary and lifestyle factors: a casecontrol study in a north Indian population. Eur J Cancer Prev, 22, 431-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e32835f3b45
- Pandey M (2003). Risk factors for gallbladder cancer: a reappraisal. Eur J Cancer Prev, 12, 15-24. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200302000-00004
- Pandey M, Shukla VK (2002). Diet and gallbladder cancer: a case-control study. Eur J Cancer Prev, 11, 365-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200208000-00008
- Pandey M, Shukla VK (2003). Lifestyle, parity, menstrual and reproductive factors and risk of gallbladder cancer. Eur J Cancer Prev, 12, 269-72. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008469-200308000-00005
- Alvi AR, Siddiqui NA, Zafar H (2011). Risk factors of gallbladder cancer in Karachi-a case-control study. World J Surg Oncol, 9, 164. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-9-164
- Andreotti G, Hou L, Gao YT, et al (2010). Reproductive factors and risks of biliary tract cancers and stones: a populationbased study in Shanghai, China. Br J Cancer, 102, 1185-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605597
- Arminski TC (1949). Primary carcinoma of the gallbladder. A collective review with the addition of twenty-five cases from the grace hospital, detroit, michigan. Cancer, 2, 379-98. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(194905)2:3<379::AID-CNCR2820020303>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Barreto SG, Dutt A, Chaudhary A (2014). A genetic model for gallbladder carcinogenesis and its dissemination. Ann Oncol, 25, 1086-97. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu006
- Csendes A, Becerra M, Rojas J, et al (2000). Number and size of stones in patients with asymptomatic and symptomatic gallstones and gallbladder carcinoma: a prospective study of 592 cases. J Gastrointest Surg, 4, 481-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1091-255X(00)80090-6
- Dixit R, Srivastava P, Basu S, et al (2013). Association of mustard oil as cooking media with carcinoma of the gallbladder. J Gastrointest Cancer, 44, 177-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12029-012-9458-2
- Dwivedi S, Madeshiya A, Singh D, et al (2013). Gall bladder cancer and some epidemiological factors: A cross sectional study. Biomedical Res, 24, 83-7.
- Eslick GD (2010). Epidemiology of gallbladder cancer. Gastroenterol Clin North America, 39, 307-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gtc.2010.02.011
- Gupta P, Agarwal A, Gupta V, et al (2012). Expression and clinicopathological significance of estrogen and progesterone receptors in gallbladder cancer. Gastrointest Cancer Res, 5, 41-7.
- World bank. 2011. Life expectancy at birth [Online]. World bank. Available: http://data.worldbank.org/country/nepal [Accessed 7th july 2013].
- World Health Organization (2010). WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic [Online]. Geneve: World Helath Oraganization. Available: http://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/policy/country_profile/npl.pdf [Accessed 2nd janauary 2012].
- Yagyu K, Kikuchi S, Obata Y, et al (2008). Cigarette smoking, alcohol drinking and the risk of gallbladder cancer death: a prospective cohort study in Japan. Int J Cancer, 122, 924-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23159
- Zatonski WA, Lowenfels AB, Boyle P, et al (1997). Epidemiologic aspects of gallbladder cancer: a case-control study of the SEARCH Program of the International Agency for Research on Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 89, 1132-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/89.15.1132