- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Combined Genotype Analyses of Precursor miRNA-196a2 and -499a Variants with Hepatic and Renal Cancer Susceptibility- a Preliminary Study
- Toraih, Eman A (Department of Histology and Cell Biology (Genetics Unit)) ;
- Fawzy, Manal S (Department of Medical Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University) ;
- Elgazzaz, Mona G (Department of Histology and Cell Biology (Genetics Unit)) ;
- Hussein, Mohammad H (Ministry of Health) ;
- Shehata, Rasha H (Department of Tropical Medicine and Gasteroenterology, Assuit University) ;
- Daoud, Hisham G (Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Canadian International College)
- Published : 2016.07.01
MicroRNAs, a novel class of small non-coding RNAs, are key players in many cellular processes, including cell proliferation, differentiation, invasion and regeneration. Tissue and circulatory microRNAs could serve as useful clinical biomarkers and deregulated expression levels have been observed in various cancers. Gene variants may alter microRNA processing and maturation. Thus, we aimed to investigate the association of MIR-196a2 rs11614913 (C/T), MIR-499a rs3746444 (A/G) polymorphisms and their combination with cancer susceptibility in an Egyptian population. Sixty five renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and 60 hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) patients and 150 controls were enrolled in the study. They were genotyped using real-time polymerase chain reaction technology. Both
- Akkiz H, Bayram S, Bekar A, Akgollu E, Ulger, Y (2011a). A functional polymorphism in pre-microRNA-196a-2 contributes to the susceptibility of hepatocellular carcinoma in a Turkish population: a case-control study. J Viral Hepat, 18, 399-407. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2893.2010.01414.x
- Akkiz H, Bayram S, Bekar A, Akgollu E, Uskudar O (2011b). Genetic variation in the microRNA-499 gene and hepatocellular carcinoma risk in a Turkish population: lack of any association in a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3107-12.
- Bae JS, Kim JH, Pasaje CF, et al (2012). Association study of genetic variations in microRNAs with the risk of hepatitis B-related liver diseases. Dig Liver Dis, 44, 849-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dld.2012.04.021
- Bhattacharya A, Cui Y (2015). miR2GO: comparative functional analysis for microRNAs. Bioinformatics, 31, 2403-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btv140
- Cairns P (2010). Renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Biomark, 9, 461-73.
- Chen C, Yang S, Chaugai S, Wang Y, Wan DW (2014). Metaanalysis of Hsa-mir-499 polymorphism (rs3746444) for cancer risk: evidence from 31 case-control studies. BMC Med Genet, 15, 126.
- Chow WH, Dong LM, Devesa SS (2010). Epidemiology and risk factors for kidney cancer. Nat Rev Urol, 7, 245-57. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrurol.2010.46
- De la Chapelle A, Jazdzewski K (2011). MicroRNAs in thyroid cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 96, 3326-36. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2011-1004
- Du M, Lu D, Wang Q, et al (2014). Genetic variations in microRNAs and the risk and survival of renal cell cancer. Carcinogenesis, 35, 1629-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgu082
- Geeleher P, Huang SR, Gamazon ER, Golden A, Seoighe C (2012). The regulatory effect of miRNAs is a heritable genetic trait in humans. BMC Genomics, 3, 383.
- Guo J, Jin M, Zhang M, Chen K (2012). A genetic variant in miR-196a2 increased digestive system cancer risks: a metaanalysis of 15 case-control studies. PLoS ONE, 7, 30585. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0030585
- He B, Pan Y, Cho WC, et al (2012). The Association between Four Genetic Variants in MicroRNAs (rs11614913, rs2910164, rs3746444, rs2292832) and cancer risk: evidence from published studies. PLoS ONE, 7, 49032. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0049032
- Hoffman AE, Zheng T, Yi C, et al (2009). microRNA miR-196a-2 and breast cancer: a genetic and epigenetic association study and functional analysis. Cancer Res, 69, 5970-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-0236
- Hornstein E, Mansfield JH, Yekta S, et al (2005). The microRNA miR-196 acts upstream of Hoxb8 sand Shh in limb development. Nature, 438, 671-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04138
- Hou W, Tian Q, Zheng J, Bonkovsky HL (2010). MicroRNA-196 represses Bach1 protein and hepatitis C virus gene expression in human hepatoma cells expressing hepatitis C viral proteins. Hepatol, 51, 1494-504. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.23401
- Hu Z, Liang J, Wang Z, et al (2009). Common genetic variants in pre-microRNAs were associated with increased risk of breast cancer in Chinese women. Hum Mutat, 30, 79-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/humu.20837
- Hu Z, Chen J, Tian T, et al (2008). Genetic variants of miRNA sequences and non-small cell lung cancer survival. J Clin Invest, 118, 2600-8.
- Kanehisa M, Goto S, Kawashima S, Okuno Y, Hattori M (2004). The KEGG resource for deciphering the genome. Nucleic Acids Res, 32, 277-80. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkh063
- Kar P (2014). Risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma in India. J Clin Exp Hepatol, 4, S34-S42.
- Kim WH, Min KT, Jeon YJ, et al (2012). Association study of microRNA polymorphisms with hepatocellular carcinoma in Korean population. Gene, 504, 92-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2012.05.014
- Kwak MS, Lee DH, Cho Y, et al (2012). Association of polymorphism in pri-microRNAs-371-372-373 with the occurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma in hepatitis B virus infected patients. PLoS ONE, 27, 41983.
- Li XD, Li ZG, Song XX, Liu CF (2010). A variant in microRNA-196a2 is associated with susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma in Chinese patients with cirrhosis. Pathol, 42, 669-73. https://doi.org/10.3109/00313025.2010.522175
- Liu Y, Zhang Y, Wen J, et al (2012). A genetic variant in the promoter region of miR-106b-25 cluster and risk of HBV infection and hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS ONE, 7, 32230. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0032230
- Min KT, Kim JW, Jeon YJ, et al (2012). Association of the miR-146aC>G, 149C>T, 196a2C>T, and 499A>G polymorphisms with colorectal cancer in the Korean population. Mol Carcinog, 51, 65-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/mc.21849
- Moradpour D, Blum HE (2005). Pathogenesis of hepatocellular carcinoma. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 17, 477-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/00042737-200505000-00002
- Morishita A, Masaki T (2015). miRNA in hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatol Res, 45, 128-41. https://doi.org/10.1111/hepr.12386
- Muglia VF, Prando A (2015). Renal cell carcinoma: histological classification and correlation with imaging findings. Radiol Bras, 48, 166-74. https://doi.org/10.1590/0100-3984.2013.1927
- Popat K, McQueen K, Feeley TW (2013). The global burden of cancer. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol, 27, 399-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpa.2013.10.010
- Qi P, Dou TH, Geng L, et al (2010). Association of a variant in miR-196a2 with susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma in male Chinese patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Hum Immunol, 71, 1-626. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humimm.2009.08.011
- Qin YR, Tang H, Xie F, et al (2011). Characterization of tumor-suppressive function of SOX6 in human esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res, 17, 46-55. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-1155
- Ryan BM, Robles AI, Harris CC (2010). Genetic variation in microRNA networks: the implications for cancer research. Nat Rev Cancer, 10, 389-402. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2867
- Tano K, Mizuno R, Okada T, et al (2010). MALAT-1 enhances cell motility of lung adenocarcinoma cells by influencing the expression of motility-related genes. FEBS Lett, 584, 4575-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2010.10.008
- Visone R, Croce CM (2009). MiRNAs and cancer. Am J Pathol, 174, 1131-8. https://doi.org/10.2353/ajpath.2009.080794
- Vlachos IS, Kostoulas N, Vergoulis T et al (2012). DIANA miRPath v.2.0: investigating the combinatorial effect of microRNAs in pathways. Nucleic Acids Res, 40, 498-504. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gks494
- Valinezhad Orang A, Safaralizadeh R, Kazemzadeh-Bavili M (2014). Mechanisms of mirna-mediated gene regulation from common downregulation to mRNA-specific upregulation. Int J Genomics, 2014, 970607.
- Xiang Y, Fan S, Cao J, Huang S, Zhang LP (2012). Association of the microRNA-499 variants with susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinoma in a Chinese population. Mol Biol Rep, 39, 7019-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-1532-0
- Xu W, Xu J, Liu S (2011). Effects of common polymorphisms rs11614913 in miR-196a2 and rs2910164 in miR-146aon cancer susceptibility: a meta-analysis. PLoS ONE, 6, 20471. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0020471
- Xu Y, Liu L, Liu J, et al (2011). A potentially functional polymorphism in the promoter region of miR-34b/c is associated with an increased risk for primary hepatocellular, carcinoma. Int J Cancer, 128, 412-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25342
- Ye Y, Wang KK, Gu J, et al (2008). Genetic variations in microrna-related genes are novel susceptibility loci for esophageal cancer risk. Cancer Prev Res, 1, 460-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-08-0135