- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Survival of Patients with Stomach Cancer and its Determinants in Kurdistan
- Moradi, Ghobad (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Medical School, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Karimi, Kohsar (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Medical School, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Esmailnasab, Nader (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Medical School, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Roshani, Daem (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Medical School, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.07.01
Background: Stomach cancer is the fourth most common cancer and the second leading cause of death from cancer in the world. In Iran, this type of cancer has high rates of incidence and mortality. This study aimed to assess the survival rate of patients with stomach cancer and its determinants in Kurdistan, a province with one of the highest incidence rates of stomach cancer in the country. Materials and Methods: We studied a total of 202 patients with stomach cancer who were admitted to Tohid Hospital in Sanandaj from 2009 to 2013. Using Kaplan-Meier nonparametric methods the survival rate of patients was calculated in terms of different levels of age at diagnosis, gender, education, residential area, occupation, underweight, and clinical variables including tumor histology, site of tumor, disease stage, and type of treatment. In addition, we compared the survival rates using the log-rank test. Finally, Cox proportional hazards regression was applied using Stata 12 and R 3.1.0 software. The significance level was set at 0.05. Results: The mean age at diagnosis was
Stomach cancer;survival rates;risk factors;Iran
- Allgayer H, Heiss M, Schildberg F (1997). Prognostic factors in gastric cancer. British J Surg, 84, 1651-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800841206
- Amori N, Aghajani M, Asgarian F, et al (2016). Epidemiology and trend of common cancers in Iran (2004-2008). European journal of cancer care.
- Angelov KG, Vasileva MB, Grozdev KS, et al (2013). Clinical and pathological characteristics, and prognostic factors for gastric cancer survival in 155 patients in Bulgaria. Hepatogastroenterol, 61, 2421-4.
- Arnold M, Aarts MJ, Siesling S, et al (2011). Breast and stomach cancer incidence and survival in migrants in the Netherlands, 1996-2006. Eur J Cancer Prev, 20, 150-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e3283431c40
- Arnold M, Moore SP, Hassler S, et al (2013). The burden of stomach cancer in indigenous populations: a systematic review and global assessment. Gut, 305033.
- Belcastro G, Nicolanti V, Ferri M, et al (1990). Prognostic factors in stomach cancer: invasion of gastric serosa and lymph node involvement. Minerva Chirurgica, 45, 1287-91.
- Berezkin D, Filatov V, Ekimov V (1988). Survival of stomach cancer patients (based on data from the All-Union Center for the Study of Treatment Effectiveness in Patients with Malignant Tumors). Voprosy Onkologii, 35, 305-12 [in Russian].
- Casariego VE, Pita FS, Rigueiro VM, et al (2001). Survival and prognostic factors for gastric cancer. Analysis of 2,334 patients. Medicina Clinica, 117, 361-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-7753(01)72116-1
- Coimbra FJ, da Costa Jr WL, Ribeiro HS, et al (2015). Noncurative resection for gastric cancer patients: who could benefit? Ann Surgical Oncol, 1-8.
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al (2015). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int J Cancer, 136, 359-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29210
- Ferro A, Peleteiro B, Malvezzi M, et al (2014). Worldwide trends in gastric cancer mortality (1980-2011), with predictions to 2015, and incidence by subtype. Eur J Cancer, 50, 1330-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2014.01.029
- Han KH, Hwang IC, Kim S, et al (2013). Factors associated with depression in disease-free stomach cancer survivors. J Pain Symptom Management, 46, 511-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2012.10.234
- Hansson L-E, Sparen P, Nyren O (1999). Survival in stomach cancer is improving: results of a nationwide populationbased Swedish study. Ann Surg, 230, 162. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199908000-00005
- Heise K, Bertran E, Andia ME, et al (2009). Incidence and survival of stomach cancer in a high-risk population of Chile. World J Gastroenterol, 15, 1854-62. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.15.1854
- Hiripi E, Jansen L, Gondos A, et al (2012). Survival of stomach and esophagus cancer patients in Germany in the early 21st century. Acta oncologica, 51, 906-14. https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2012.673732
- Hsieh FJ, Wang YC, Hsu JT, et al (2012). Clinicopathological features and prognostic factors of gastric cancer patients aged 40 years or younger. J Surgical Oncol, 105, 304-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.22084
- Inokuchi K. Prolonged survival of stomach cancer patients after extensive surgery and adjuvant treatment: an overview of the Japanese experience. Seminars in surgical oncology, 1991. Wiley Online Library, 333-8.
- Karimi P, Islami F, Anandasabapathy S, et al (2014). Gastric cancer: descriptive epidemiology, risk factors, screening, and prevention. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 23, 700-13. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-13-1057
- Khedmat H, Panahian M, Mashahdian M, et al (2011). Prognostic factors and survival in stomach cancer-analysis of 15 years of data from a referral hospital in iran and evaluation of international variation. Oncol Res Treatment, 34, 178-82.
- Kim K-H, Kim Y-M, Kim M-C, et al (2014). Analysis of prognostic factors and outcomes of gastric cancer in younger patients: A case control study using propensity score methods. World J Gastroenterol, 20, 3369. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v20.i12.3369
- Li M-z, Deng L, Wang J-J, et al (2014). Surgical outcomes and prognostic factors of T4 gastric cancer patients without distant metastasis. PloS One, 9, 107061. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0107061
- Li X, Cao B, Liu Y, et al (2013). Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors in 549 patients undergoing surgical treatment of gastric cancer. Hepato-gastroenterol, 61, 535-42.
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh Z (2009). Gastric cancer in Iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Arch Iran Med, 12, 576-83.
- Matsuda T, Saika K (2013). The 5-year relative survival rate of stomach cancer in the USA, Europe and Japan. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 43, 1157-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyt166
- Mitry E, Rachet B, Quinn M, et al (2008). Survival from cancer of the stomach in England and Wales up to 2001. Br J Cancer, 99, 16-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604574
- Nielsen J, Aagaard J, Toftgaard C (1984). Gastric cancer with special reference to prognostic factors. A review of 779 cases. Acta Chirurg Scand, 151, 49-55.
- Nomura E, Tsukuma H, Ajiki W, et al (2003). Population-based study of relationship between hospital surgical volume and 5-year survival of stomach cancer patients in Osaka, Japan. Cancer Sci, 94, 998-1002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2003.tb01391.x
- Peleteiro B, Severo M, La Vecchia C, et al (2014). Model-based patterns in stomach cancer mortality worldwide. Eur J Cancer Prev, 23, 524-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/CEJ.0b013e328364f2b6
- Sato N, Ito Y, Ioka A, et al (2009). Gender differences in stomach cancer survival in Osaka, Japan: analyses using relative survival model. Japanese J Clinical Oncol, 39, 690-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyp084
- Shadi Kolahdoozan MD M, Alireza Sadjadi MD M, Radmard AR, et al (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Archives of Iranian Med, 13, 143.
- Takahari D, Takashima A, Mizusawa J, et al Prognostic factors in Japanese patients with advanced gastric cancer using the data from JCOG9912 study. ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2011. 4059.
- Tian J, Wang XD, Chen ZC (2004). Survival of patients with stomach cancer in Changle city of China. World J Gastroenterol, 10, 1543-6. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.v10.i11.1543
- Verdecchia A, Mariotto A, Gatta G, et al (2003). Comparison of stomach cancer incidence and survival in four continents. Eur J Cancer, 39, 1603-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(03)00360-5
- Zhang Y, Ma L (2013). [Long-term outcome and analysis of prognostic factors in 114 cases of postoperative stage III gastric cancer]. Zhonghua zhong liu za zhi [Chinese J Oncol], 35, 863-6.