- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Skin Cancer: Clinico-Pathological Study of 204 Patients in Southern Governorates of Yemen
- Al-Zou, Amer Bin (Dermatology Department, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Aden) ;
- Thabit, Mazen Abood Bin (Pathology Department, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Aden) ;
- Al-Sakkaf, Khalid Abdulla (Community Medicine & Public Health Department, and Aden Cancer Registry and Research Center) ;
- Basaleem, Huda Omer (Community Medicine & Public Health Department, and Aden Cancer Registry and Research Center)
- Published : 2016.07.01
Background: Skin cancer is a group of heterogeneous malignancies, in general classified into non-melanoma skin cancer (NMSC) and melanoma skin cancer (MSC). Incidences are high in many parts in the world with considerable geographical and racial variation. In the Yemen, there has been scarce information about skin cancer. The aim of this study was to evaluate the demographic characteristics and histological trend of skin cancer in Southern Governorates of Yemen. Materials and Methods: This retrospective study covered 204 cases of skin cancer at the Modern Histopathology Laboratory and Aden Cancer Registry and Research Center, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Aden, for the period 2006-2013. Data were classified regarding different demographic and tumor related variables and analyzed using CanReg-4 for cancer registry and SPSS (version 21). Results: The commonest encountered skin cancer was NMSC (93.1%). Generally, skin cancer appears slightly more frequently in females than males with a 1:1.06 male: female ratio, with a mean age of 62.9 years. Slightly higher than one-third (36.3%) were from Aden governorate. The head and neck proved to be the most common site in both males and females (58%). Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common histological type of skin cancer (50.5%). Conclusions: Skin cancer is a common cancer in patients living in southern governorates of Yemen. The pattern appears nearly similar to the international figures with a low incidence of MSC.
Skin cancer;histopathology;melanoma;non-melanoma;Yemen Southern Governates
- Al-Hilli F, (2005). Skin cancer in Bahrain. Bahrain Med Bulletin, 27, 1-9
- Al-Maghrabi JA, Al-Ghamdi AS, Elhakeem HA, et al (2004). Pattern of skin cancer in Southwestern Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 25, 776-9.
- Armstrong BK, Kricker A (2001). The epidemiology of UV induced skin cancer. Photochem Photobiol, 63, 8-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1011-1344(01)00198-1
- Ba Saleem HO, Abdullah SA, Suwaileh MM (2013). Cancer Incidence Report 2007-2011. Aden Cancer Registry and Research Centre, Aden, Yemen.
- Baldwin L, Dunn J,(2013). Global controversies and advances in skin cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2155-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2155
- Bradford PT (2009). Skin cancer in skin of color. Dermatol Nurs, 21, 170-8.
- Brash DE (1998). Cancer of the skin. in 'cancer principles and practice of oncology' 2nd eds. DeVita V.T, Hellman S, Rosenberg S.A. Philadelphia: Lippincot- Raven, 1879-946.
- National Cancer Registry Ireland (2013). Cancer Trends No 20. Non-melanoma skin cancer September.
- Castori M, Morrone A, Kanitakis J, et al (2012). Genetic skin diseases predisposing to basal cell carcinoma. Eur J Dermatol, 22, 299-309
- de Vries E, Louwman M, Bastiaens M, et al (2004). Rapid and continuous increases in incidence rates of basal cell carcinoma in the southeast Netherlands since 1973. Invest Dermatol, 123, 634-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-202X.2004.23306.x
- Diepgen TL, Mahler V, (2002). The epidemiology of skin cancer. Br J Dermatol, 61, 1-6.
- Doherty VR, Brewster DH, Jensen S, Gorman D (2010). Trends in skin cancer incidence by socioeconomic position in Scotland, 1978-2004. Br J Cancer, 102, 1661-4 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605678
- Efron PA, Chen MK, Glavin FL, et al (2008). Pediatric basal cell carcinoma: case reports and literature review. J Pediatr Surg, 43, 2277-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2008.08.035
- Aboud KM, Al Hawsawit KA, Bhato MA, et al (2003). Skin cancers in Western Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 24, 1381- 7.
- Ahmed A, Alam MB, Khan W, Badar A, et al (2007). Frequency and characteristics of skin cancers diagnosed at ayub medical college, abbottabad pakistan from 1995-2003. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad, 19, 3-6.
- Fabbrocini G, Triassi M, Maria Chiara Mauriello MC, et al (2010). Epidemiology of skin cancer: role of some environmental factors. Cancers, 2, 1980-9. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers2041980
- Filho NN, Lehmkuh RL (2015). Squamous cell cancer - 31-year epidemiological study in a city of south Brazil. An. Bars. Dermatol, 90, 21-26
- Gloster H, Neal K (2006). Skin cancer in skin of color. J Am Acad Dermatol, 55, 741-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2005.08.063
- Green AC, (2015). Epidemiology of actinic keratoses. Curr Probl Dematol, 46, 1-7.
- Housman TS, Feldman SR, Williford PM, et al (2003). Skin cancer is among the most costly of all cancers to treat for the Medicare population. J Am Acad Dermatol, 48, 425-9. https://doi.org/10.1067/mjd.2003.186
- Howley P.M, Pfister H.J, (2015). Beta genus papillomaviruses and skin cancer. Virol, 479-480, 290-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virol.2015.02.004
- Jamal A, Siegel R, Ward E (2008). Cancer statistics . CA Cancer J Clin, 58, 71-96 https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2007.0010
- Kavoussi H, Rezaei M, Ebrahimi A, Hossaini S (2012). Epidemiological incidences of non -melanoma skin cancer in Kermanshah -Iran. J Pakistan Association of dermatologist, 22, 112-7.
- Koh D, Wang H, Lee J, et al (2003). Basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma of the skin: analysis of singapore cancer registry data 1968-97. Br Assoc Dermatologists, 148, 1161-6.
- Leiter U, Garbe C, (2008). Epidemiology of melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer--the role of sunlight. Adv Exp Med Biol, 624, 89-103.
- Mahmoud R. Hussein M.R, (2005). Skin Cancer in Egypt. Cancer Biology Therapy, 4, 593-5. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.4.5.1730
- Mantese S.A.O, Berbert ALCV, Gomides MDA, et al . Carcinoma basocelular.
- Mohamed AA, Mahmuod SM, Hassan, et al (2012). Skin cancer in dark skin: a review of 535 patients from Sudan. JOAMS, 2, 8-12
- Mufti ST (2010). Pattern of skin cancer among Saudi Patients who attended King Abdul Aziz University Hospital between Jan 2000 and Dec 2010. JSSDDS, 13-08.
- Mutti S.T, (2012). Pattern of skin cancr among patients who attended King Abdulaziz Universty between Jan 2000-2010. J Saudi Society Dermatol Dematologic Surgry, 16, 13-08 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssdds.2011.10.001
- Noorbala MT, Mohammadi S, Noorbala M, (2013). Cutaneous malignant melanoma in Central Iran: a 20-year study. IRCMJ, 8, 690-4
- Omari AK, Khammash MR, Matalka I (2006). Skin cancer trends in northern Jordan. Int J Dermatol, 45, 384-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-4632.2004.02444.x
- Reinau D, Surber C, Jick SS, Meier C.R, (2014). Epidemiology of basal cell carcinoma in the United Kingdom: incidence, lifestyle factors, and comorbidities. Br J Cancer, 111, 203-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2014.265
- Situm M, Buljan M, Bulat V, et al (2008). The role of UV radiation in the development of basal cell carcinoma. Coll Antropol, 2, 167-70.
- Sng J, Koh D, Siono W.C, Chioo T.B, (2009). Skin cancer trends among Asians living in Singapore from 1968 to 2006. JAAD, 61, 426-32, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2009.03.031
- Somaia F. Sanad E.M, Ageena H.A, et al (2006). A Study of Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer In Benha District, Qalyubiyah Governorate, Egypt. Egyptian Dermatol Online J, 12, 1-8.
- Stubblefield J, Kelly B, (2014). Melanoma in non-caucasian populations. Surg Clin North Am, 94, 1115-26 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2014.07.008
- Swan M.C, Hudson D.A. Malignant melanoma in South Africans of mixed ancestry: a retrospective analysis. Melanoma Res, 13, 415-9
- Vahid S, Jafar T, Mirmohammad S.S, (2009). Epidemiologic Pattern of Skin Malignancies in Semnan, Iran Between 1999 and 2007 and Comparing it with Meta-Analysis of Published Papers in World Between2000 and 2008. Res J Biological Sci, 4, 743-51.
- William G. Vidal LL, Robert S, et al (2008). Fleming, reported skin cancer screening of US adult workers. J Am Acad Dermatol, 59, 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2008.03.013
- Yap F. B, (2010). Clinical characteristics of basal cell carcinoma in a tertiary hospital in Sarawak, Malaysia, Int J Dermatol, 49, 176-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-4632.2009.04342.x