- Volume 17 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Spiritual Needs of Patients with Cancer Referred to Alinasab and Shahid Ghazi Tabatabaie Hospitals of Tabriz, Iran
- Ghahramanian, Akram (Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Markani, Abdollah Khorrami (Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Urmia University of Medical Sciences of Khoy Branch) ;
- Davoodi, Arefeh (Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Bahrami, Ahad (Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.07.01
Background: Patients' spiritual needs increase drastically after a diagnosis of cancer because of its threatening nature. It is very important to recognize any spiritual crisis. This study aimed to determine needs among Iranian patients with cancer. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was undertaken among 200 patients with cancer referred to Alinasab and Shahid Ghazi Tabatabaie hospitals of Tabriz, Iran. The Spiritual Needs Scale was used for data collection. Results: The mean age of participants was
- Abu-El-Noor N ICU Nurses' Perceptions and Practice of Spiritual Care at the End of Life: Implications for Policy Change. OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 21.
- Balducci L (2010). Medicine and spirituality: a personal adventure. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 79-80.
- Brunjes GB (2010a). Practical approaches to spiritual pain. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11 Suppl 1, 37-9.
- Brunjes GB (2010b). Spiritual pain and suffering. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11 Suppl 1, 31-6.
- Bussing A, Balzat HJ, Heusser P (2010). Spiritual needs of patients with chronic pain diseases and cancer - validation of the spiritual needs questionnaire. Eur J Med Res, 15, 266-73. https://doi.org/10.1186/2047-783X-15-6-266
- Bussing A, Zhai XF, Peng WB, et al (2013). Psychosocial and spiritual needs of patients with chronic diseases: validation of the chinese version of the spiritual needs questionnaire. J Integr Med, 11, 106-15. https://doi.org/10.3736/jintegrmed2013020
- Clark PA, Drain M, Malone MP (2003). Addressing patients' emotional and spiritual needs. Jt Comm J Qual Saf, 29, 659-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1549-3741(03)29078-X
- Galek K, Flannelly KJ, Vane A, et al (2005). Assessing a patient's spiritual needs: a comprehensive instrument. Holist Nurs Pract, 19, 62-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004650-200503000-00006
- Given BA, Given CW, Kozachik S (2001). Family support in advanced cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 51, 213-31. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.51.4.213
- Hatamipour K, Rassouli M, Yaghmaie F, et al (2015). Spiritual needs of cancer patients: a qualitative study. Indian J Palliat Care, 21, 61-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1075.150190
- Held L, Eigentler TK, Garbe C (2009). Early recognition and prevention of skin cancer. MMW Fortschr Med, 151, 31-3 [in German]. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03370913
- Higgins P (2013). Meeting the religious needs of residents with dementia. Nurs Older People, 25, 25-9.
- Hodge DR, Salas-Wright CP, Wolosin RJ (2016). Addressing spiritual needs and overall satisfaction with service provision among older hospitalized inpatients. J Appl Gerontol, 35, 374-400. https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464813515090
- McClain-Jacobson C, Rosenfeld B, Kosinski A, et al (2004). Belief in an afterlife, spiritual well-being and end-oflife despair in patients with advanced cancer. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 26, 484-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2004.08.002
- McSherry W (2006). The principal components model: a model for advancing spirituality and spiritual care within nursing and health care practice. J Clin Nurs, 15, 905-17. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01648.x
- Mohebbifar R, Pakpour AH, Nahvijou A, et al (2015). Relationship between spiritual health and quality of life in patients with cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7321-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7321
- Murray SA, Kendall M, Boyd K, et al (2004). Exploring the spiritual needs of people dying of lung cancer or heart failure: a prospective qualitative interview study of patients and their carers. Palliat Med, 18, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269216304pm837oa
- Shelly JA (2001). Is spiritual care ethical? J Christ Nurs, 18, 3.
- Taylor EJ, Petersen C, Oyedele O, et al (2015). Spirituality and spiritual care of adolescents and young adults with cancer. Semin Oncol Nurs, 31, 227-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2015.06.002
- Toivonen K, Stolt M, Suhonen R (2015). Nursing support of the spiritual needs of older adults living with dementia: a narrative literature review. Holist Nurs Pract, 29, 303-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/HNP.0000000000000101
- White P (2005). Managing chronic diseases: end of life is more than death. BMJ, 330, 963. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.330.7482.96-b
- Zamanian H, Eftekhar-Ardebili H, Eftekhar-Ardebili M, et al (2015). Religious coping and quality of life in women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7721-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7721