- Volume 17 Issue 6
Evaluating Direct Costs of Gastric Cancer Treatment in Iran - Case Study in Kerman City in 2015
- Izadi, Azar (Health Services Management, Kerman University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sirizi, Mohammad Jaffari (Health Insurance Organization, Kerman Office) ;
- Esmaeelpour, Safa (Shafa Hospital, Kerman University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Barouni, Mohsen (Health Services Management Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.06.01
Background: Gastrointestinal cancers are common malignancies associated with high mortality rates. Healthcare systems are always faced with high costs of treatment of gastrointestinal cancers including stomach cancer. Identification and prioritization of these costs can help determine economic burden and then improve of health planning by policy-makers. This study was performed in 2015 in Kerman City aimed at estimating the direct hospital costs for patients with gastric cancer. Materials and Methods: In this cross-sectional study, the medical records of 160 patients with stomach cancer admitted from 2011 to 2014 to Shafa Hospital were examined, the current stage of the disease and the patients' health status were identified, and the direct costs related to the type of treatment in the public and private sectors were calculated. SPSS-19 was used for statistical analysis of the data. Results: Of the patients studied, 103 (65%) were men and 57 (35%) were women. The mean age of patients was 65 years. Distribution into four stages of the disease was 5%, 20%, 30%, and 45%, respectively. Direct costs in four stages of the disease were calculated as 2191.07, 2642.93, 2877, and 2674.07 USD (63,045,879, 76,047,934, 82,783,019, and 76,943,800 IRR), respectively. The highest percentage of costs was related to surgery in Stage I and to medication in Stages II, III, and IV. According to the results of direct costs of treatment for stomach cancer in Kerman, the mean total cost of treating a patient in the public sector was estimated at 74,705,158 IRR, of which averages of 60,141,384 IRR and 14,563,774 IRR were the shares of insurance and patients, respectively. Conclusions: The high prevalence and diagnosis of disease in old age and at advanced stages of disease impose great costs on the patients and the health system. Early diagnosis through screening and selecting an appropriate treatment method might largely ameliorate the economic burden of the disease.
Gastric cancer;costs evaluation;direct costs;screening;Iran
- Abeloff MD. Clinical Oncology (2000). 2nd ed. New York, Churchill Livingstone, 1545-79
- Ahmadi A, Roudbari M, Gohari MR, et al (2011). Estimation of hazard function and its associated factors in gastric cancer patients using wavelet and kernel smoothing methods. J North Khorasan University Med Sci, 3, 181-8.
- Akbarzadehbaghban A, Esmaeili M, Kimiafar Kh (2008). Medical information management and assessment of direct costs of treatment of lung cancer. J Health Informat Manage, 5, 151-8.
- Alizadeh-Navaei R, Rafiei A, Abedin-Kenari S, et al (2016). Effect of first line gastric cancer chemotherapy regime on the AGS cell line - MTT assay results. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 17, 131-3.
- Amani F, Firuzi P, Fekrat R, et al (2012). Estimation of direct costs of treatment of cancer patients admitted to Imam Khomeini Hospital of Ardabil City. Academic-Res Quarterly Caduceus, 2, 1-6.
- Bazyar M, Pourreza A, Harirchi I, et al (2012). Medical and non-medical direct costs of cancers in patients hospitalized in Imam Khomeini cancer institution - 2010. J Hospital, 11, 39-50.
- Biglarian A, Hajizadeh E, Kazemnejad A, et al (2007). Survival analysis of gastric cancer patients using Cox model: a five year study. Tehran University Medical J, 67, 317-25
- Choi YY, Noh SH, Cheong JH (2015). Evolution of Gastric Cancer Treatment: From the Golden Age of Surgery to an Era of Precision Medicine. Yonsei Med J, 56, 1177-85 https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2015.56.5.1177
- Davari M, Mokarian F, Hosseini M, et al (2013). Direct medical costs of breast cancer in iran; analyzing patients level data from a cancer specific hospital in Isfahan, Iran. J Health Informat Manage, 10, 1-10.
- Davari M, Moafi A, Yarmohammadian M, et al (2014). The direct medical costs of acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) in children in Isfahan province. J Health Informat Manage, 11, 1-5.
- Fakhrzadeh H, Poor-Ebrahim R, Akhlaghi M (2000). Economic Cost of Coronary Disease in Oil Industry. Iranian South Med J, 3, 45-52.
- Getzen TH (2009). Health Economics: Fundamentals and flow of funds, 438.
- Imani A, Pour Ahmadi S, Jannati A, et al (2014). Analyze and estimation of direct and indirect costs of breast cancer in women referred to Shahid Ghazi Clinic in Tabriz in 2013. J Depict Health, 5, 13-9.
- Iravani SH (2013). Gastric cancer as a multifactorial disease. J Army University Medical Sci, 11, 157-64
- Kashani H, Mahmoudi M, Zerati H, et al (2010). Survival of patients with gastric cancer after surgery: an analysis based on the competitive risks. J School Public Health Institute Health Res, 8, 51-62 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8010051
- Khedmat H, Panahiha M, Amini M, et al (2007). Survival probability of official personnel of the armed forces and other people with stomach cancer referred to Baqiyatallah Azam Hospital from 2000 to 2005. J Military Med, 9, 167-77.
- Kumar Sah J, Singh Y.P, Ghimire B.(2015). Presentation and outcomes of gastric cancer at a university teaching hospital in Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5385-88. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5385
- Leung WK, Wu MS, Kakugawa Y, et al (2008). Asia pacific working group on gastric cancer. screening for gastric cancer in asia: current evidence and practice. J Lancet Oncol, 9, 279-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70072-X
- Lin X, Zhao Y, Song WM, et al (2015). Molecular classification and prediction in gastric cancer. Comput Struct Biotechnol J, 13, 448-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csbj.2015.08.001
- Malekzadeh R, Derakhshan M, Malekzadeh Z (2009). Gastric cancer in iran: epidemiology and risk factors. Archives Iranian Med, 12, 576-83.
- Nourozinia F, Rasmi Y, Otarod M, et al (2013). Epidemiology and histopathology of gastric cancer in Urmia. Urmia Med J, 24, 170-5.
- Nyren O, Adami HO. Hunter D, et al (2002). Stomach Cancer In: New York: Oxford University Press; Textbook of Cancer Epidemiology (Monographs in Epidemiology and Biostatistics). First ed. ISBN: 0-19-510969-4
- Pharoah DP, Guilford P, Caldas C and the International Gastric Cancer Linkage Consortium (2001). Incidence of gastric cancer and breast cancer in CDH1 (E-Cadherin) mutation carriers from hereditary diffuse gastric cancer families. Gastroenterol, 121, 1348-53 https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.2001.29611
- Parkin D, Pisani P, Ferlay J (2005). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 49, 33-64.
- Roshanaei GH, Kazemnejad A, Seddighi S (2010). Survival of patients with gastric cancer operated in cancer institute of Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran, and affecting factors. Scientific J Hamadan University Med, 17, 13-8
- Roshanaei GH, Safari M, Baghestani A, et al (2012). Assessment of the survival risk factors in patients with gastric cancer in cancer institute of Imam Khomeni Hospital between 2003-2007. Scientific J Zanjan, 20, 40-50
- Sedighi S, Mohagheghi MA, Memari, F, et al (2006). Evaluation of two preoparative chemotherapy regimens for complete operability of advanced gastric adenocarcinoma: a clinical trial. Tehran University Med J, 64, 56-64.
- Shepard DS, Hodgkin D, Anthony YE (2000). Analysis of Hospital Costs: A Manual for Managers. Geneva: World Health Organization
- Somi MH. Alizadeh N, Farhang S, et al (2010). Diagnosis and treatment of patients with gastric cancer and its problems in the province. Med J Tabriz University Med Sci Health Service, 32, 57-63.
- WHO (2003). The mental health context: mental health policy and service guidance package. geneva: World Health Organization.
- Yabroff KR, Lamont EB, Mariotto A, et al (2008). Cost of care for elderly cancer patients in the United States. J Natl Cancer Inst, 100, 630-41 https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn103