- Volume 17 Issue 6
No Association of Cytochrome P450-1B1 Gene Polymorphisms with Risk of Breast Cancer: an Egyptian Study
- Ibrahim, Mona H (Department of Clinical and Chemical Pathology, National Research Center) ;
- Rashed, Reham A (Department of Clinical Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Hassan, Naglaa M (Department of Clinical Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Al-azhary, Nevin M (Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine Department, College of Medicine, Taibah University, Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah) ;
- Salama, Asmaa I (Department of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University) ;
- Mostafa, Marwa N (Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Cairo University)
- Published : 2016.06.01
It is thought that population characteristics of breast cancer may be due to a variation in the frequency of different alleles of genes such as CYP1B1. We aimed to determine the association of CYP1B1 polymorphisms in 200 breast cancer cases and 40 controls by PCR-RFLP. Frequencies were assessed with clinical and risk factors in Egyptian patients. The genotype LV and the Leu allele frequencies for patients and controls were 42.9% and 50%, and 52.9% and 53.3%, respectively), with no significant differences observed (P values = 0.8 and 0.6, respectively). There was also no significant association between genotypes and any risk factors for cases (P>0.05) except laterality and metastasis of the tumor (P values=0.006 and 0.06, respectively). The CYP1B1 polymorphism Val432Leu was not associated with breast cancer in Egypt, but may provide clues for future studies into early detection of the disease.
Breast cancer;CYP1B1;gene polymorphism;disease association;Egypt
- Ajtkhozhina, N, Nigmatova V, Khanseitova A, et al (2011). Polymorphic markers of some genes associated with multiple sclerosis in the population of Kazakhstan. Russ J Genet, 47, 749-53. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1022795411060020
- Akarolo-Anthony S, Ogundiran T, Adebamowo C (2010). Emerging breast cancer epidemic: evidence from Africa. Breast Cancer Res, 12, 8.
- Bailey LR, Roodi N, Dupont W, et al (1998). Association of cytochrome-P450-1B1-CYP1B1-polymorphism-withsteroid-receptor-status in breast cancer. Cancer Res, 58, 5038-41.
- Bailey LR, Roodi N, Verrier C, et al (1998). Breast cancer and CYPIA1, GSTM1, and GSTT1 polymorphisms: evidence of a lack of association in Caucasians and African Americans. Cancer Rese, 58, 65-70.
- Beysebayev E, Tulebayev K, Meymanalyev T (2015). Breast cancer diagnosis by mammography in Kazakhstan-staging results of breast cancer with double reading. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 31-34. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.31
- Cavalieri E, Stack D, Devanesan P, et al. (1997). Molecular origin of cancer: Catechol estrogen-3,4-quinones as endogenous tumor initiators. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 94, 10937-42. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.94.20.10937
- Colditz G, Kaphingst K, Hankinson S, et al (2012). Family history and risk of breast cancer: nurses' health study. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 133, 1097-104. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-012-1985-9
- Gehan M, Azza A, Amel G (2013). Assessment of factors that hinder early detection of breast cancer among females at Cairo University Hospital. World Appl Sci J, 23, 99-108.
- Islamian J, Hatamian M, Rashidi M (2015). Nanoparticles promise new methods to boost oncology outcomes in breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1683-86. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1683
- Jemal A, Bray F, Forman D, et al (2012). Cancer burden in Africa and opportunities for prevention. Cancer, 118, 4372-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.27410
- Jiao H, Liu C, Guo W, et al (2010). Association of CYP1B1 polymorphisms with breast cancer: a case-control study in the Han Population in Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, P. R. China. Biomark Insights, 21.
- Lee K, Abel J, Ko Y, et al (2003). Genetic polymorphisms of cytochrome P450 19 and 1B1, alcohol use, and breast cancer risk in Korean women. Br J Cancer, 88, 675-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600761
- Mavaddat N, Barrowdale, D, Andrulis I, et al (2011). Pathology of breast and ovarian cancers among BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: results from the consortium of investigators of modifiers of BRCA1/2 (CIMBA). Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 21, 134-47.
- Michael N, Clareann H, Seymour J, et al (2009). Cytochrome P450 1B1 Val432Leu polymorphism and breast cancer risk in Nigerian women: a case control study. Infectious Agents And Cancer, 4, 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1750-9378-4-12
- Parkin D, Nambooze S, Wabwire-Mangen F, et al (2010). Changing cancer incidence in Kampala, Uganda, 1991-2006. Int J Cancer, 126, 1187-95. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.24838
- Reding K, Chen C, Lowe K, et al (2012). Estrogen-related genes and their contribution to racial differences in breast cancer risk. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 671-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-9925-x
- Rylander-Rudqvist T, Wedren S, Granath F, et al (2003). Cytochrome P450 1B1 gene polymorphisms and postmenopausal breast cancer risk. Carcinogenesis, 24, 1533-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgg114
- Rylander-Rudqvist T, Wedren S, Jonasdottir G, et al 2004). Cytochrome P450 1B1 gene polymorphisms and postmenopausal endometrial cancer risk. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers, 13, 1515-20.
- Sassi A, Popielarski M, Synowiec E, et al (2013). BLM and RAD51 Genes Polymorphism and Susceptibility to Breast Cancer. Pathol Oncol Res, 19, 451-59. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12253-013-9602-8
- Sergentanis T, Economopoulos K, Choussein S, et al (2012). Cytochrome P450 1A1 (CYP1A1) gene polymorphisms and cervical cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Molecular Biol Reports, 39, 6647-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-1470-x
- Shulman L, Willett L, Sievers A, et al (2010). Breast cancer in developing countries: opportunities for improved survival. J Oncol, 2010, 1-6.
- Soerjomataram I, Lortet-Tieulent J, Parkin D, et al (2012). Global burden of cancer in 2008: a systematic analysis of disability-adjusted life-years in 12 world regions. Lancet, 380, 1840-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60919-2
- Sylla B, Wild C (2012). A million africans a year dying from cancer by 2030: What can cancer research and control offer to the continent? Int J Cancer, 130, 245-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26333
- Toleutay U, Reznik, V, Kalmatayeva Z, et al (2013). Risk factors of breast cancer in Kyzylorda oblast of Kazakhstan: a casecontrol study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5961-64. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.10.5961
- Watanabe J, Shimada T, Gillam E, et al (2000). Association of CYP1B1 genetic polymorphism with incidence to breast and lung cancer. Pharmacogenetics, 10, 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1097/00008571-200002000-00004
- Wen W, Cai Q, Shu X, et al (2005). Cytochrome P450 1B1 and catechol-o-methyltransferase genetic polymorphisms and breast cancer risk in chinese women: results from the shanghai breast cancer study and a meta-analysis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 329-35. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0392