- Volume 17 Issue 6
High Occurrence of Non-Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma in Oman
- Venniyoor, Ajit (Department of Medical Oncology, National Oncology Center, The Royal Hospital) ;
- Essam, Abdul Monem (Department of Medical Oncology, National Oncology Center, The Royal Hospital) ;
- Ramadhan, Fatma (Department of Medical Oncology, National Oncology Center, The Royal Hospital) ;
- Keswani, Heeranand (Department of Medical Oncology, National Oncology Center, The Royal Hospital) ;
- Mehdi, Itrat (Department of Medical Oncology, National Oncology Center, The Royal Hospital) ;
- Bahrani, Bassim Al (Department of Medical Oncology, National Oncology Center, The Royal Hospital)
- Published : 2016.06.01
It is conventionally accepted that renal cell carcinoma (RCC) occurs in older patients and the clear cell type is the most common histology. However, ethnic variations exist and this study was carried out to determine the epidemiological pattern of RCC in Oman. Ninety RCC patients who presented to a tertiary care center in the Sultanate of Oman from 2010 to 2014 were studied. The main findings were that the median age of presentation was low, more patients presented with localized stage, and there was a higher incidence of non-clear (especially papillary) histology. Data from other Gulf countries and possible reasons for the different profile are discussed.
Renal cell carcinoma;Oman;Gulf Cooperation Council Countries;papillary histology;ethnic variation
- Akhavan A, Richards M, Shnorhavorian M, et al (2015). Renal cell carcinoma in children, adolescents and young adults: A National Cancer Database study. J Urol, 193, 1336-41 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2014.10.108
- AL Nohair S (2014). Obesity in gulf countries. Int J Health Sci. 8, 79-83. https://doi.org/10.12816/0006074
- Albalushi KR, Sellami MH, Alriyami H, et al (2014). HLA Class II (DRB1 and DQB1) polymorphism in Omanis. J Transplant Technol Res, 4, 2-7.
- Alkhateeb SS, Alkhateeb JM, Alrashidi EA (2015). Increasing trends in kidney cancer over the last 2 decades in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J, 36, 885.
- Aziz A, May M, Zigeuner R, et al (2014). Do young patients with renal cell carcinoma feature a distinct outcome after surgery? A comparative analysis of patient age based on the multinational CORONA database. J Urol, 191, 310-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2013.08.021
- Bruder E, Passera O, Harms D, et al (2004). Morphologic and molecular characterization of renal cell carcinoma in children and young adults. Am J Surg Pathol, 28, 1117-32. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.pas.0000131558.32412.40
- Claassen F, Wentzel S, Vermeulen W, et al (2011). UP-01.175 The demography of renal cell carcinoma in Bloemfontein, South Africa: Has it changed over the past 15 years? Urol, 78, 245.
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Data available at www.clinicaltrials.gov. Accessed 02 Feb 2016.
- Ezenwa EV, Tan YH (2014). Ethnic variation of the histological subtypes of renal cell carcinoma in Singapore. Afr J Urol.
- Ferchichi I, Kourda N, Derouiche A, et al (2012). Is there a link between the occurrence of kidney cancer and hypertension in Tunisian population? Tunis Med, 90, 397-400 (in French).
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2012). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No 11. 2013; 2015.
- Ghalayini IF, Bani-Hani IH (2003). Detection, staging and clinical implications of renal cell carcinoma. Saudi Med J, 24, 79-83.
- Haas NB, Manola J, Uzzo RG, et al (2016). Adjuvant sunitinib or sorafenib for high-risk, non-metastatic renal-cell carcinoma (ECOG-ACRIN E2805): a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet, 387, 2008-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00559-6
- Ibrahim AH, Ezzat AE (2012). Impact of lymphadenectomy in management of renal cell carcinoma. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst, 24, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnci.2012.02.001
- Khafaja S, Kourie HR, Matar D, et al (2015).Kidney cancer in Lebanon: a specific histological distribution? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 363-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.363
- Khalil Ibrahim A (2013). Trends of adult primary malignant renal tumors over 6 years. Pak J Med Sci, 29, 1385-8.
- Lipworth L, Tarone RE, McLaughlin JK(2006). The epidemiology of renal cell carcinoma. J Urol, 176, 2353-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2006.07.130
- Ljungberg B, Campbell SC, Choi HY, et al (2011). The epidemiology of renal cell carcinoma. Eur Urol, 60, 615-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2011.06.049
- Luke C, Sargent N, Pittman K, et al (2011). Epidemiology of cancers of the kidney in an Australian population. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2893-9.
- Mehdi I, Satayapal N, Abdul Aziz MI, et al (2012). Renal Cell Carcinoma metastasizing to larynx: a case report. Gulf J Oncol, 11, 70-4.
- Moch H (2013). An overview of renal cell cancer: pathology and genetics. Semin Cancer Biol, 23, 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcancer.2012.06.006
- Nardi AC, Zequi Sde C, Clark OA,et al (2010). Epidemiologic characteristics of renal cell carcinoma in Brazil. Int Braz J Urol, 36, 151-7. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1677-55382010000200004
- Olshan AF, Kuo TM, Meyer AM, et al (2013). Racial difference in histologic subtype of renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Med, 2, 744-9.
- Pinto A (2014). Adjuvant therapy for renal cell carcinoma. Clin Genitourin Cancer, 12, 408-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clgc.2014.06.012
- Purdue MP, Moore LE, Merino MJ, et al (2013). An investigation of risk factors for renal cell carcinoma by histologic subtype in two case-control studies. Int J Cancer, 132, 2640-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27934
- Rajab A, Patton MA (2000). A study of consanguinity in the sultanate of oman. Ann Hum Biol, 27, 321-6. https://doi.org/10.1080/030144600282208
- Rodríguez A, Patard JJ, Lobel B (2002). Renal cell carcinoma in young adults: incidence, disease outcome and review of the literature. Arch Esp Urol, 55, 969-75.
- Salim EI, Moore MA, Al-Lawati JA, et al (2009). Cancer epidemiology and control in the Arab world - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 3-16
- Sankin A, Cohen J, Wang H, et al (2011). Rate of renal cell carcinoma subtypes in different races. Int Braz J Urol, 37, 29-32. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1677-55382011000100004
- Saudi Arabian Cancer Registry. Available at http://www.scr.org.sa/. Accessed 10 Dec 2014.
- Singam P, Ho C, Hong GE, et al (2010). Clinical characteristics of renal cancer in Malaysia: a ten year review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 503-6.
- Tandon A, Murray CJL, Lauer J, et al (2000). Measuring overall health system performance for 191 countries. Geneva: World Health Organization (Global programme on evidence for health policy discussion paper No 30.) (Oman ranked 8th)
- Thotathil ZS, Varghese A, Ragheb A (2005). Renal cell carcinoma: The experience of Kuwait Cancer Control Center, Kuwait. Med Princ Pract, 14, 1-5.
- Eble JN, Sauter G, Epstein JI, et al (eds) (2004). In: Pathology and genetics of tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. Lyon: IARC Press.