- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Prognostic Value of MAC30 Expression in Human Pure Squamous Cell Carcinomas of the Lung
- Ding, Hui (Department of Respiratory Medicine, Yixing People Hospital, Affiliated Jiangsu University) ;
- Gui, Xian-Hua (Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital, Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School) ;
- Lin, Xu-Bo (Department of Integrative Biology and Pharmacology, Medical School, the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston) ;
- Chen, Ru-Hua (Department of Respiratory Medicine, Yixing People Hospital, Affiliated Jiangsu University) ;
- Cai, Hou-Rong (Nanjing Drum Tower Hospital, Affiliated Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School) ;
- Fen, Yan (Department of Respiratory Medicine, Yixing People Hospital, Affiliated Jiangsu University) ;
- Sheng, Yun-Lu (Department of Elder Endocrinology, the First Affiliated Hospital with Nanjing Medical University)
- Published : 2016.05.01
Recent evidence haas indicated that meningioma-associate protein (MAC30) exhibits different expression patterns in various tumors. However, little is known about the value of MAC30 in human squamous cell carcinoma of lung (SQCLC). The purpose of our study was to investigate the expression of MAC30 and to explore its clinical significance in SQCLC patients. A total of 156 Chinese patients diagnosed with SQCLC were selected for this study. The expression of MAC30 in all tissues was confirmed by immunohistochemical staining. Quantitative real-time PCR was performed to analyze MAC30 mRNA expression in 32 cases of SQCLC patients with corresponding non-tumor lung tissues. We observed enhanced mRNA expression of MAC30 in SQCLC as compared to control samples. Further, elevated MAC30 protein expression was strongly associated with poor tumor differentiation, TNM stage, and lymph node metastasis. In addition, we observed that patients with increased MAC30 expression demonstrated poor overall survival. Multivariate analysis explicated that increased MAC30 expression was a valuable independent predictable factor for poor tumor differentiation and short survival in SQCLC patients. Our present study suggests that MAC30 may serve as a biomarker for poor tumor differentiation and outcomes of patients with SQCLC.
MAC30;squamous lung cancer;metastasis;prognosis
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Atalay A, Crook T, Ozturk M, Yulug IG (2002). Identification of genes induced by BRCA1 in breast cancer cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 299, 839-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-291X(02)02751-1
- Bartz F, Kern L, Erz D, et al (2009). Identification of cholesterol-regulating genes by targeted RNAi screening. Cell Metabolism, 10, 63-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2009.05.009
- Chudgar NP, Bucciarelli PR, Jeffries EM, et al (2015). Results of the National Lung Cancer Screening Trial: where are we now? Thoracic Surgery Clinics, 25, 145-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thorsurg.2014.11.002
- AUTHORS!!! (2012). Comprehensive genomic characterization of squamous cell lung cancers. Nature, 489, 519-25. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature11404
- Fan X, Yu K, Wu J, Shao J, Zhu L, Zhang J (2015). Correlation between squamous cell carcinoma of the lung and human papillomavirus infection and the relationship to expression of p53 and p16. Tumour Biol, 36, 3043-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2940-7
- Han KY, Gu X, Wang HR, et al (2013). Overexpression of MAC30 is associated with poor clinical outcome in human non-small-cell lung cancer. Tumour biol, 34, 821-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-012-0612-z
- Jemal A, Siegel R, Ward E, et al (2008). Cancer statistics, 2008. CA Cancer J Clin, 58, 71-96. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2007.0010
- Kannan K, Amariglio N, Rechavi G, et al (2001). DNA microarrays identification of primary and secondary target genes regulated by p53. Oncogene, 20, 2225-34. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1204319
- Kayed H, Kleeff J, Ding J, et al (2004). Expression analysis of MAC30 in human pancreatic cancer and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract. Histol Histopathol, 19, 1021-31.
- Kenmotsu H, Serizawa M, Koh Y, et al (2014). Prospective genetic profiling of squamous cell lung cancer and adenosquamous carcinoma in Japanese patients by multitarget assays. BMC Cancer, 14, 786. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-786
- Kim CH (2013). Druggable targets of squamous cell lung cancer. Tuberculosis Respiratory Diseases, 75, 231-5. https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2013.75.6.231
- Malhotra K, Luehrsen KR, Costello LL, et al (1999). Identification of differentially expressed mRNAs in human fetal liver across gestation. Nucleic Acids Res, 27, 839-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/27.3.839
- Moparthi SB, Arbman G, Wallin A, et al (2007). Expression of MAC30 protein is related to survival and biological variables in primary and metastatic colorectal cancers. Int J Oncol, 30, 91-5.
- Murphy M, Pykett MJ, Harnish P, Zang KD, George DL (1993). Identification and characterization of genes differentially expressed in meningiomas. Cell Growth Differentiat, 4, 715-22.
- Sobin LH, Fleming ID (1997). TNM Classification of Malignant Tumors, fifth edition (1997). Union Internationale Contre le Cancer and the American Joint Committee on Cancer. Cancer, 80, 1803-4. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19971101)80:9<1803::AID-CNCR16>3.0.CO;2-9
- Tsutani Y, Murakami S, Miyata Y, et al (2014). Prediction of lymph node status in clinical stage IA squamous cell carcinoma of the lung. Eur R Cardio-Thoracic Surg, 2014.
- Wang BY, Huang JY, Cheng CY, et al (2013). Lung cancer and prognosis in taiwan: a population-based cancer registry. J Thoracic Oncol, 8, 1128-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31829ceba4
- William WN, Jr., Lin HY, Lee JJ, et al (2009). Revisiting stage IIIB and IV non-small cell lung cancer: analysis of the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results data. Chest, 136, 701-9. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.08-2968
- Yan BY, Wang DW, Zhu ZL, et al (2010). Overexpression of MAC30 in the cytoplasm of oral squamous cell carcinoma predicts nodal metastasis and poor differentiation. Chemotherapy, 56, 424-8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000317582
- Yang S, Li H, Liu Y, et al (2013). Elevated expression of MAC30 predicts lymph node metastasis and unfavorable prognosis in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer. Med Oncol, 30, 324. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-012-0324-7
- Zhang ZY, Zhao ZR, Adell G, et al (2006). Expression of MAC30 in rectal cancers with or without preoperative radiotherapy. Oncol, 71, 259-65. https://doi.org/10.1159/000106449
- Zhao H, Zhang H, Du Y, Gu X (2014). Prognostic significance of BRCA1, ERCC1, RRM1, and RRM2 in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer receiving chemotherapy. Tumour Biol, 35, 12679-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2592-7