- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Arabic Tools for Assessment of Multidimensions of Pain and Discomfort Related to Cancer
- Nabila, Rouahi (Institut Superieur des Professions Infirmieres et Techniques de Sante (ISPITS, Ex-IFCS)) ;
- Mimoun, Zouhdi (Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Universite Mohamed V, Madinat al Irfane)
- Published : 2016.05.01
Background: Cancer is a worldwide health problem. Arabic countries are also concerned and the burden linked to the pain related to cancer is dsiquieting. The aim of this study is to set the panel of valid tools for assessing the multiple dimensions of pain in arabic speaking countries. Materials and Methods: A systematic review on PubMed, Scopus, and Science Direct databases was conducted using as key words cancer, pain and arabic speaking population. The content of 51 articles was studied and nine articles were retained for their relevance for the issue. Results: We founf eight different questionnaires. MSAS-Leb, EORTC-C30, EORTC-BR23, MDASI, FLIC, and COOP/WONCA are dedicated to physical and psychological dimensions of pain. BPI is centered on direct items for measuring pain accurately. ABQ-II is the unique tool focusing on barriers to cancer pain control. All tools are confirmed valid and reliable in the context studied for assessing pain and disconfort linked to cancer. Conclusions: This panel of questionnaires covers all relevant aims for assessing pain in diferent arabic speaking countries with the recommendation of a cultural adaptation to local arabic languages.
- Abdulla A, Bone M, Adams N, et al (2013). Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines on management of pain in older people. Age Ageing, 0, 1-3.
- Abouzeid WM, Mokhtar SA, Mahdy NH, El Kwsky FS (2009). Quality of life of patients with oral and pharyngeal malignancies. J Egypt Public Health Assoc, 84, 299-329.
- Alawadhi SA, Jude U. Ohaeri JU (2010). Validity and reliability of the european organization for research and treatment in cancer quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ): experience from Kuwait using a sample of women with breast cancer, Ann Saudi Med, 30, 390-6.
- Awad MA, Denic S, El Taji H (2008). Validation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaires for Arabic-speaking Populations. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1138, 146-54. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1414.021
- Ballout S, Noureddine S, Huijer HA, Kanazi G (2011). Psychometric evaluation of the arabic brief pain inventory in a sample of Lebanese cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage, 42, 147-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2010.09.019
- Breivick H, Cherny N, Collet B, et al (2009). Cancer-related pain: a pan-European survey of prevalence, treatment and patient attitudes. Ann Oncol, 20, 1420-33. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdp001
- El Fakir S, Abda N, Bendahhou K, et al (2014). The European organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of live questionnaire-BR 2" breast cancer-specific quality of life questionnaire: psychometric properties in a Moroccan sample of breast cancer patients. BMC Res Notes, 7, 53-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-7-53
- Gauthier LR, Young A, Dworkin RH, et al (2014). Validation of the Short-Form McGill Pain questionnaire-2 in Younger and Older people with cancer pain. J Pain, 15, 756-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2014.04.004
- GLOBOCAN 2012 (IARC). http://globocan.iarc.fr
- Harrison A (1988). Arabic pain words. Pain, 32, 239-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(88)90073-5
- Hoopman R, Terwee CB, Aaronson NK (2008). Translated COOP/WONCA charts found appropriate for use among Turkish and Moroccan ethnic minority cancer patients. J Clin Epidemiol, 61, 1036-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2007.11.018
- Huijer HA, Sagherian K, Tamim H (2015). Validation of the arabic version of the memorial symptom assessment scale among lebanese cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage, 50, 559-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2014.08.014
- Melzack R (1975). The mcgill pain questionnaire: major properties and scoring methods. Pain, 1, 275-99.
- Melzack R (1987). The short -form mcgill pain questionnaire. Pain, 30, 191-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(87)91074-8
- Nejmi M, Wang S, Mendoza TR, Gnig I, Cleeland CS (2010). Validation and application of the Arabic version of the M.D. Anderson Symptom Inventory in Moroccan patients with cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom. Management, 40, 75-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.12.007
- Saifan A, Bashayreh I, Batiha AM, AbuRuz M (2015). Patient and family caregiver related barriers to effective cancer pain control. Pain Manag Nurs. 16(3): 400-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2014.09.007
- Salim EI, Moore MA, Al-Lawati JA, et al (2009). Cancer epidemiology and control in the arab world - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer. Prev, 10, 1-14.
- Smith TJ and Saiki CB (2015). Cancer pain management. Mayo Clin Proc, 90, 1428-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.08.009
- World Health Organization. World cancer report. 2014. http://www.who.int/cancer/publications/WRC_2014/en/