- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Determining the Optimal Dose Prescription for the Planning Target Volume with Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients
- Liu, Xi-Jun (Departments of Radiation Oncology, Shandong University School of Medicine, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute) ;
- Lin, Xiu-Tong (Departments of Medical Physics, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute) ;
- Yin, Yong (Departments of Medical Physics, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute) ;
- Chen, Jin-Hu (Departments of Medical Physics, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute) ;
- Xing, Li-Gang (Departments of Radiation Oncology, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute) ;
- Yu, Jin-Ming (Departments of Radiation Oncology, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute)
- Published : 2016.05.01
Objective: The aim of this study was to determine a method of dose prescription that minimizes normal tissue irradiation outside the planning target volume (PTV) during stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for patients with non-small cell lung cancer. Methods: Previous research and patients with typical T1 lung tumors with peripheral lesions in the lung were selected for analysis. A PTV and several organs at risk (OARs) were constructed for the dose calculated; six treatment plans employing intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) were produced, in which the dose was prescribed to encompass the PTV, with the prescription isodose level (PIL) set at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 or 95% of the isocenter dose. Additionally, four OARs around the PTV were constructed to evaluate the dose received in adjacent tissues. Results: The use of higher PILs for SBRT resulted in improved sparing of OARs, with the exception of the volume of lung treated with a lower dose. Conclusions: The use of lower PILs is likely to create significant inhomogeneity of the dose delivered to the target, which may be beneficial for the control of tumors with poor conformity indices.
Prescription dose level;stereotactic body radiotherapy;lung;intensity modulated radiotherapy
- Balagamwala EH, Suh JH, Barnett GH, et al (2012). The importance of the conformality, heterogeneity, and gradient indices in evaluating Gamma Knife radiosurgery treatment plans for intracranial meningiomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 83, 1406-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2011.10.024
- Beitler JJ, Badine EA, El-Sayah D, et al (2006). Stereotactic body radiation therapy for nonmetastatic lung cancer: An analysis of 75 patients treated over 5 years. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 65, 100-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2005.11.028
- Blomgren H, Lax I, Naslund I, et al (1995). Stereotactic high dose fraction radiation therapy of extracranial tumors using an accelerator: Clinical experience of the first thirty-one patients. Acta Oncol, 34, 861-70. https://doi.org/10.3109/02841869509127197
- Cao D, Holmes T and Afgan M, et al (2007). Comparison of plan quality provided by intensity modulated arc therapy and helical tomotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 69, 240-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2007.04.073
- Cardinale RM, Wu Q, Benedict SH, et al (1999). Determining the optimal block margin on the planning target volume for extracranial stereotactic radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 45, 515-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(99)00203-5
- Chang JY, Balter PA, Dong L, et al (2008). Stereotactic body radiation therapy in centrally and superiorly located stage I or isolated recurrent non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 72, 967-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.08.001
- Cui L, Liu XX, Jiang Y, et al (2014). Phase II study on dose escalating schedule of paclitaxel concurrent with radiotherapy in treating patients with locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1699-702. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1699
- Fenwick J, Tome W, Soisson E, et al (2006). Tomotherapy and other innovative IMRT systems. Semin Radiat Oncol, 16, 199-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semradonc.2006.04.002
- Guckenberger M, Wilbert J, Krieger T, et al (2007). Four-dimensional treatment planning for stereotactic body radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 69, 276-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2007.04.074
- Hof H, Herfarth KK, Munter M, et al (2003). Stereotactic single-dose radiotherapy of stage I non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 56, 335-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(02)04504-2
- Ji ZQ, Huang XE, Wu XY, et al (2003). Safety of Brucea javanica and cantharidin combined with chemotherapy for treatment of NSCLC patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8603-5.
- Jin L, WangL, Li J et al. (2007). Investigation of optimal beam margins for stereotactic radiotherapy of lung-cancer using Monte Carlo dose calculations. Phys Med Biol, 52, 3549-3561 https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/52/12/014
- Koto M, Takai Y, Ogawa Y, et al (2007). A phase II study on stereotactic body radiotherapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol, 85, 429-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2007.10.017
- Lagerwaard FJ, Haasbeek CJ, Smit EF, et al (2008). Outcomes of riskadapted fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy for stage I non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 70, 685-692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2007.10.053
- Lee SW, Choi EK, Park HJ, et al (2003). Stereotactic body frame based fractionated radiosurgery on consecutive days for primary or metastatic tumors in the lung. Lung Cancer, 40, 309-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-5002(03)00040-0
- Li Y, Huang XE (2015). A Pooled Analysis on Crizotinib in Treating Chinese Patients with EML4-ALK Positive Non-small-cell Lung Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4797-800. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4797
- Liu YC, Zhou SB, Gao F, et al (2013). Chemotherapy and late course three dimensional conformal radiotherapy for treatment of patients with stage III non-small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2663-65. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2663
- Malik Ps, Malik A, Deo SV, et al (2014). Underutilization of curative treatment among patients with non-small cell lung cancer: experience from a tertiary care center in India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2875-78. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2875
- McGarry RC, Papiez L, Williams M, et al (2005). Stereotactic body radiation therapy of early-stage non-small-cell lung carcinoma: phase I study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 63, 1010-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2005.03.073
- Navarria P, Ascolese AM, Mancosu P, et al (2013). Volumetric modulated arc therapy with flattening filter free (FFF) beams for stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) in patients with medically inoperable early stage non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Radiother Oncol, 3, 414-8.
- Nyman J, Johansson KA and Hulten U (2006). Stereotactic hypofractionated radiotherapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer-Mature results for medically inoperable patients. Lung Cancer, 51, 97-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2005.08.011
- Ohtakara K, Hayashi S and Hoshi H (2012). The relation between various conformity indices and the influence of the target coverage difference in prescription isodose surface on these values in intracranial stereotactic radiosurgery. Br J Radiol, 85, e223-8. https://doi.org/10.1259/bjr/36606138
- Onishi H, Kuriyama K, Komiyama T, et al (2004). Clinical outcomes of stereotactic radiotherapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer using a novel irradiation technique: Patient self-controlled breath-hold and beam switching using a combination of linear accelerator and CT scanner. Lung Cancer, 45, 45-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.01.004
- Parashar B, Singh P, Christos P, et al (2013). Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for early stage lung cancer delivers clinically significant radiation to the draining lymph nodes. J Radiosurg SBRT, 4, 339-340.
- Rosen LR, Fischer-Valuck BW, Katz SR, et al (2014). Helical image-guided stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for the treatment of early-stage lung cancer: a single-institution experience at the Willis-Knighton Cancer Center. Tumori, 1, 42-8.
- Salguero FJ, Belderbos JS, Rossi MM, et al (2013). Microscopic disease extensions as a risk factor for loco-regional recurrence of NSCLC after SBRT. Radiother Oncol, 109, 26-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2013.08.028
- Shi B, Zhang XB, Xu J, et al (2015). Systematic Analysis of Icotinib Treatment for Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5521-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5521
- Uematsu M, Shioda A, Suda A, et al (2001). Computed tomographyguided frameless stereotactic radiotherapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer: A 5-year experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 51, 666-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(01)01703-5
- Van Baardwijk A, Tome WA, Van Elmpt W, et al (2012). Is high-dose stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for stage I non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) overkill? A systematic review. Radiother Oncol, 105, 145-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2012.09.008
- Vrdoljak E, Prskalo T, Omrcen T, et al (2005). Concomitant chemobrachy radiotherapy with ifosfamide and cisplatin followed by consolidation chemotherapy in locally advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cerix. Results of a phase II study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 61, 824-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.06.248
- Wala J, Salari E, Chen W, et al (2012). Optimal partial-arcs in VMAT treatment planning. Phys Med Biol Sep, 57, 5861-74. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/57/18/5861
- Wang LJ, Liu XJ, Guan Y, et al (2014). Optimal timing of radiotherapy with alternating/sequential radio-chemotherapy for limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5697-9.
- Widder J, Hollander M, Ubbels JF, et al (2010). Optimizing dose prescription in stereotactic body radiotherapy for lung tumors using Monte Carlo dose calculation. Radiother Oncol, 94, 42-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2009.11.008
- Wulf J, Baier K, Mueller G, et al (2005). Dose-response in stereotactic irradiation of lung tumors. Radiother Oncol, 77, 83-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2005.09.003
- Wulf J, Haedinger U, Oppitz U, et al (2004). Stereotactic radiotherapy for primary lung cancer and pulmonary metastases: A noninvasive treatment approach in medically inoperable patients. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 60, 186-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2004.02.060
- Xia T, Li H, Sun Q, et al (2006). Promising clinical outcome of stereotactic body radiation therapy for patients with inoperable Stage I/II non-small-cell lung cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 66, 117-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2006.04.013
- Zhang GG, Ku L and Dilling TJ. (2011). Volumetric modulated arc planning for lung stereotactic body radiotherapy using conventional and unflattened photon beams: a dosimetric comparison with 3D technique. Radiat Oncol, 9, 152.
- Zimmermann FB, Geinitz H, Schill S, et al (2005). Stereotactic hypofractionated radiation therapy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer, 48, 107-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2004.10.015