- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Ki-67 Immunostaining and its Correlation with Microvessel Density in Patients with Mutiple Myeloma
- Himani, Bhankar (Department of Pathology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital) ;
- Meera, Sikka (Department of Pathology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital) ;
- Abhimanyu, Sharma (Department of Pathology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital) ;
- Usha, Rusia (Department of Pathology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital)
- Published : 2016.05.01
Purpose: To compare Ki-67 index and microvessel density MVD) in multiple myeloma and non-myeloma patients and their correlation with each other and other prognostic markers. Materials and Methods: Forty patients were enrolled in this study between 2011-2013, 30 with multiple myelomas and 10 with non-malignant disease as controls. Proliferative activity was analyzed by Ki-67 and microvessel density (MVC) was assessed by CD34 and compared between two groups. In myeloma patients, correlation between Ki-67, MVD and other prognostic factors was assessed by Pearson correlation coefficient. Results: According to Durie Salmon staging criteria, 13 patients were of stage 1, 5 of stage II and 12 of stage III. Ki-67 expression showed a positive correlation with MVD (r=0.729, p<0.001) and was significantly higher (p<0.0001) in myeloma patients (range 35-80%, mean 60.1 %) as compared to controls (range 8-25%, mean 18.1%).
Multiple myeloma;microvessel density;Ki-67 index;prognostic markers;angiogenesis
- Ahn M J, Park C K, Choi J H, et al (2001). Clinical significance of microvessel density in multiple myeloma patients. J Korean Med Sci, 16, 45-50. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2001.16.1.45
- Alexandrakis MG, Passam FH, Dambaki C, et al (2004). The relation between bone marrow angiogenesis and the proliferation index Ki-67 in multiple myeloma. J Clin Pathol, 57, 856-60. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.2003.013110
- Dispenzieri A, Lacy MQ, Greipp PR (2009). Multiple myeloma In 'Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology 12th ed' Eds. John P. Greer et al. Walnut street, Philadelphia. (pp 2372-80).
- Drach J, Gattringer C, Glassl H, Drach D Huber H (1992). The biological and clinical significance of Ki-67 growth fraction in multiple myeloma. Hematol Oncol, 10, 125-134. https://doi.org/10.1002/hon.2900100209
- Fernando RC, de Carvalho F, Mazzotti DR, Evangelista AF, Braga WM et al (2015). Multiple myeloma cell lines and primary tumors proteoma: protein biosynthesis and immune system as potential therapeutic targets. Genes Cancer, 6, 462-71.
- International Myeloma Working Group (2003). Criteria for the classification of monoclonal gammopathies, multiple myeloma and related disorders: a report of the International Myeloma Working group. Br J Hematol, 121, 749-57. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2141.2003.04355.x
- Kumar L, Vikram P, Kochupillai V (2006). Recent advances in the management of multiple myeloma. Natl Med J India, 19, 80-9.
- Kyle R, Gertz MA, Witzig T, et al (2003). Review of 1027 patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Mayo Clin Proc, 78, 21-33. https://doi.org/10.4065/78.1.21
- Lai R, Medeiros LJ, Wilson CS, et al (1998). Expression of the cell-cycle-related proteins E2F-1, p53, mdm-2, p21waf-1, and Ki-67 in multiple myeloma: correlation with cyclin-D1 immunoreactivity. Mod Pathol, 11, 642-7.
- Lee N, Lee H, Moon SY, et al (2015). Adverse prognostic impact of bone marrow microvessel density in multiple myeloma. Ann Lab Med, 35, 563-9. https://doi.org/10.3343/alm.2015.35.6.563
- Lokhorst H, Boom S, Terpstra W, et al (1988). Determination of the growth fraction in monoclonal gammopathy with the monoclonal antibody Ki-67. Br J Haematol, 69, 477-81. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.1988.tb02402.x
- Mark TM, Forsberg P, Ouansafi I, et al (2014). The Ki67/CD138 ratio independently predicts overall survival in the upfront treatment of newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Blood, 124, 2016-6.
- Markovic O, Marisavljevic D, Cemerikic V, et al (2005). Proliferative activity of myeloma cells determined by Ki-67 antibody: biological and clinical significance. Vojnosanit Pregl, 62, 33-8. https://doi.org/10.2298/VSP0501033M
- Medinger M, Passweg J (2014). Role of tumor angiogenesis in hematological malignancies. Swiss Med Wkly, 144.
- Pruneri G, Bertolini F, Soligo D, et al (1999). Angiogenesis in myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Cancer, 81, 1398-401. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6693515
- Rajkumar SV, Leong T, Roche PC, et al (2000). Prognostic value of bone marrow angiogenesis in multiple myeloma. Clin Cancer Res, 6, 3111-6.
- Rajkumar SV, Mesa RA, Fonseca R, et al (2002). Bone marrow angiogenesis in 400 patients with monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance, multiple myeloma, and primary amyloidosis. Clin Cancer Res, 8, 2210-16.
- Richardson PG, Mark TM, Lacy MQ (2013). Pomalidomide: new immunomodulatory agent with potent antiproliferative effects. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 88, 36-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2013.02.001
- Sezer O, Niemoller K, Eucker J, et al (2000). Bone marrow microvessel density is a prognostic factor for survival in patients with multiple myeloma. Ann Hematol, 79, 574-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002770000236
- Sridevi HB, Rai S, Suresh PK, Somesh MS, Minal J (2015). Pancytopenia in multiple myeloma- an enigma: our experience from tertiary care hospital. J Clin Diagn Res, 9, 4-6.
- Tichy M, Ticha V, Scudla V, Svachova M, Zapletalova J (2010). Analysis of bone marrow angiogenesis in multiple myeloma. Cesk Patol, 46, 15-9.
- Vacca A, Ribatti D, Roncali L, et al (1994). Bone marrow angiogenesis and progression in multiple myeloma. Br J Hematol, 87, 503-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2141.1994.tb08304.x
- Xu JL, Lai R, Kinoshita T, Nakashima N, Nagasaka T (2002). Proliferation, apoptosis, and intratumoral vascularity in multiple myeloma: correlation with the clinical stage and cytological grade. J Clin Pathol, 55, 530-4. https://doi.org/10.1136/jcp.55.7.530