- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Profile of HER2 +ve Gastric Cancers in Brunei Darussalam
- Chong, Vui Heng (PAPRSB IHS, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Telisinghe, Pemasari Upali (Department of Pathology, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Tan, Jackson (Department of Pathology, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Abdullah, Muhamad Syafiq (PAPRSB IHS, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Chong, Chee Fui (Department of Surgery, RIPAS Hospital)
- Published : 2016.05.01
Background: Gastric cancer is the second most common gastrointestinal cancer and is still associated with significant morbidity and mortality due to late presentation and diagnosis at advanced stages. Studies have reported that a variable proportion of gastric cancer is positive for the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) and patients with HER2 positive (HER2 +ve) lesions can benefit from targeted therapy. This study was conducted to assess the prevalence of HER2 +ve gastric cancers in Brunei Darussalam, a developing Southeast Asian nation. Materials and Methods: Patients were identified from the Department of Pathology registry and retrospectively reviewed. HER2 expression was assessed by immunohistochemistry and only those staining 3+were considered positive. Results: Our study included 103 cases (66 males and 37 females) with a mean age of
Gastric carcinoma;prevalence;HER2;characteristics;Brunei Darussalam
- Albarello L, Pecciarini L, Doglioni C (2011). HER2 testing in gastric cancer. Adv Anat Pathol, 18, 53-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAP.0b013e3182026d72
- Allgayer H, Babic R, Gruetzner KU, et al (2000). c-erbB-2 is of inde-pendent prognostic relevance in gastric cancer and is associated with the expression of tumor-associated protease systems. J Clin Oncol, 18, 2201-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2000.18.11.2201
- Bang YJ, Van Cutsem E, Feyereislova A, et al; Trial Investigators. (2010). Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 376, 687-97 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(10)61121-X
- Boku N (2014). HER2-positive gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer, 17, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-013-0252-z
- Chong VH, Telisinghe PU, Jalihal A (2009). Helicobacter pylori infection and correlation with upper gastrointestinal pathologies: an eleven-year trend. J Gastrointest Liver Dis, 18, 514-5.
- Chong VH, Telisinghe PU, Abdullah MS, Chong CF (2014). Gastric cancer in Brunei Darussalam: epidemiological trend over a 27 year period (1986-2012). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7281-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7281
- Grabsch H, Sivakumar S, Gray S, et al (2010). HER2 expression in gastric cancer: Rare, heterogeneous and of no prognostic value - conclusions from 924 cases of two independent series. Cell Oncol, 32, 57-65.
- Gomez-Martin C, Lopez-Rios F, Aparicio J, et al (2014). A critical review of HER2-positive gastric cancer evaluation and treatment: from trastuzumab, and beyond. Cancer Lett, 351, 30-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2014.05.019
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). GLOBOCAN 2012. www.globocan.iarc.fr/ (accessed 6th December 2015).
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Jorgensen JT (2010). Targeted HER2 treatment in advanced gastric cancer. Oncol, 78, 26-33. https://doi.org/10.1159/000288295
- Jorgensen JT, Hersom M (2012). HER2 as a prognostic marker in gastric cancer - a systematic analysis of data from the literature. J Cancer, 3, 137-44. https://doi.org/10.7150/jca.4090
- Luo HQ, Han L, Jiang Y (2014). Meta-analysis of six randomized control trials of chemotherapy plus anti-HER monoclonal antibody for advanced gastric and gastroesophageal cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5343-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5343
- Madani SH, Rahmati A, Sadeghi E, et al (2015). Survey of Her2-neu expression and its correlation with histology of gastric carcinoma and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 7755-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.17.7755
- Rakhshani N, Kalantari E, Bakhti H, Sohrabi MR, Mehrazma M (2014). Evaluation of HER-2/neu overexpression in gastric carcinoma using a tissue microarray. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7597-602. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7597
- Ruschoff J, Hanna W, Bilous M, et al (2012). HER2 testing in gastric cancer: a practical approach. Mod Pathol, 25, 637-50. https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2011.198
- Selcukbiricik F, Erdamar S, Buyukunal E, Serrdengecti S, Demirelli F (2014). Is her-2 status in the primary tumor correlated with matched lymph node metastases in patients with gastric cancer undergoing curative gastrectomy? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10607-11.
- Sugano K (2015). Screening of gastric cancer in Asia. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol, 29, 895-905. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2015.09.013
- Torres J, Lopez L, Lazcano E, Camorlinga M, Flores L, Munoz O (2005). Trends in Helicobacter pylori infection and gastric cancer in Mexico. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 1874-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0113
- Wada R, Hirabayashi K, Ohike N, Morii E (2016). New guidelines for HER2 pathological diagnostics in gastric cancer. Pathol Int, 66, 57-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/pin.12390
- Watanabe M, Ito H, Hosono S, et al (2015). Declining trends in prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection by birth-year in a Japanese population. Cancer Sci, 106, 1738-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.12821
- Yen RL, Telisinghe PU, Cunningham A, Abdullah MS, Chong CF, Chong VH (2014). Profiles of Epstein-Barr virus associated gastric carcinomas in Brunei Darussalam. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10489-93.