- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Correlation between EGFR Expression and Radiosensitivity in Cervical Adenocarcinoma Cases
- Hernowo, Bethy S (Department of Anatomical Pathology, Padjajaran University) ;
- Suryanti, Sri (Department of Anatomical Pathology, Padjajaran University) ;
- Wibisono, Fennisia (Department of Anatomical Pathology, Padjajaran University)
- Published : 2016.05.01
Background: Most of the cervical cancer patients, including those with cervical adenocarcinomas, come at advanced stage in the developing world so its mortality is high. Radiotherapy is one of the treatment modality for advanced stage cervical adenocarcinomas, but its efficacy depends on several prognostic factors such as the stage, histopathology, presence of organ dysfunction and expression of cellular biology markers mainly involve in cell proliferation such as the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR). Some research indicates that activation of EGFR in malignancy (including cervical cancer) correlates with aggressive behavior, a poor prognosis and decreasing sensitivity of radiotherapy. However, the combination between targeted therapies and radiotherapy are innovative approaches which may provide a good result. This study aimed to assess any correlation between expression of EGFR and response to radiotherapy in cervical adenocarcinoma cases. Materials and Methods: A total of 32 women were registered in a retrospective study period January 2007 and May 2014. Paraffin blocks from these patients were processed by classical histological techniques and for immunohistochemical staining of EGFR, scoring being accomplished according to the immunoreactive scoring (IRS) of Remmele and Stegner. Results: Among the studied molecular factors, there was significant correlation expression of EGFR with poor response to radiotherapy (p=0.0001). Conclusions: The result of this study showed a significant correlation between expression of EGFR and sensitivity of radiation in cervical adenocarcinoma cases. Further research is necessary to obtain information about new therapeutic management.
Biological markers;cervical adenocarcinoma;radiotherapy;radiosensitivity
- Wells M, Crum CP, Fransceschi S, et al (2003). Epithelial tumor of uterine cervix. In Pathology and genetics tumours of the breast and female genital organs'. Eds Kurman, R.J., Carcangiu, ML., Herrington, C.S., Young, R.H. IARC Press. 4. 259-77.
- Imam R (2009). Epidemiologi kanker serviks. Indonesian J Cancer. 3. 103-8.
- Noordhuis MG, Eijsink JJ, Roossink F, et al (2011). Prognostic cell biological markers in cervical cancer patients primarily treated with (chemo)radiation: a systematic review. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Physics, 79. 325-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.09.043
- Gadducci A, Guerrieri ME, Greco C (2013). Tissue biomarkers as prognostic variables of cervical cancer. Critical reviews in oncology/hematol. 86. 104-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2012.09.003
- Barbu I, Craitoiu S, Simionescu CE, et al (2013). CD105 microvessels density, VEGF, EGFR-1 and c-erbB-2 and their prognostic correlation in different subtypes of cervical adenocarcinoma. Romanian J Morphol Embryol, 54. 519-30.
- Marcela O, Liliana G, Sergio G, et al (2012). Biomarkers Expression in Cervical Cancer and High Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions. J Cancer Therapy, 3. 1066-7. https://doi.org/10.4236/jct.2012.36139
- Pimenta JM, Galindo C, Jenkins D, Taylor SM (2013). Estimate of the global burden of cervical adenocarcinoma and potential impact of prophylactic human papillomavirus vaccination. BMC Cancer, 13. 553. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-13-553
- Kato T, Watari H, Takeda M, et al (2013). Multivariate prognostic analysis of adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix treated with radical hysterectomy and systematic lymphadenectomy. J Gynecol Oncol, 24. 222-8. https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2013.24.3.222
- Tang J, Tang Y, Yang J, Huang S (2012). Chemoradiation and adjuvant chemotherapy in advanced cervical adenocarcinoma. Gynecologic Oncol, 125. 297-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.01.033
- Wright AA, Howitt BE, Myers AP, et al (2013). Genomic differences between adenocarcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas of the cervix. Cancer. 119, 3776-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28288
- Shimada M, Nishimura R, Nogawa T, et al (2013). Comparison of the outcome between cervical adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma patients with adjuvant radiotherapy following radical surgery: SGSG/TGCU Intergroup Surveillance. Mol Clin Oncol, 1, 780-4. https://doi.org/10.3892/mco.2013.112
- Zhang H, Yun S, Batuwangala TD, et al (2012). A dual-targeting antibody against EGFR-VEGF for lung and head and neck cancer treatment. Int J Cancer. 131. 956-69. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.26427