- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study of Pallet Scale Modified Atmosphere Packaging Films for Reducing Water Condensation
Kim, Jinse;Park, Jong Woo;Park, Seokho;Choi, Dong Soo;Choi, Seung Ryul;Kim, Yong Hoon;Lee, Soo Jang;Park, Chun Wan;Lee, Jung- Soo;Cho, Byoung-Kwan
- Received : 2016.05.05
- Accepted : 2016.05.21
- Published : 2016.06.01
Purpose: The aim of this study was to find an appropriate polymer film, which could reduce the water condensation for pallet-size modified atmosphere packaging (MAP). Methods: Five different types of films were selected from several commercialized films. Prior to the real food storage test, plastic boxes with wetted plastic balls were used to simulate the high humidity conditions of real food storage. The initial MAP condition was 5% oxygen and 95% nitrogen, and the
Modified atmosphere;Nylon;Pallet;Water condensation;WVTR
- Ayala-Zavala, J. F., L. Del-Toro-Sanchez, E. Alvarez-Parrilla and G. A. Gonzalez-Aguilar. 2008. High Relative Humidity In-Package of Fresh-cut Fruits and vegetables: Advantage or Disadvantage Considering Microbiological Problems and Antimicrobial Delivering Systems? J. Food. Sci. 73(4):R41-47. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00705.x
- Beaudry, R. 2000. Responses of horticultural commodities to low O2: limits to the expanded use of modified atmosphere packaging. HortTechnology 10:491-500.
- Church, I. J. and A. L. Parsons. 1995. Modified atmosphere packaging technology: a review. J Sci Food Agric 67:143-152. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740670202
- Farber, J.N., L.J. Harris, M.E. Parish, L.R. Beuchat, T.V. Suslow, J.R. Gorney, E.H. Garrett and F.F. Busta. 2003. Microbiological safety of controlled and modified atmosphere packaging of fresh and fresh-cut produce. Comp. Rev. Food Sci. Food Safety 2(S1):142-160. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2003.tb00032.x
- Feng F. and L. Ye. 2010. Structure and Property of Polylactide/Polyamide Blends. J of Macromolecular Sci. Part B: Physics 49:1117-1127. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222341003609179
- Nair, D. V.T., A. Kiess, R. Nannapaneni and W. Schilling. 2015. The combined efficacy of carvacrol and modified atmosphere packaging on the survival of Salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni and lactic acid bacteria on Turkey breast cutlets. Food Microbiology 49:134-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2015.01.010
- Oliveira, M., M. Abadias, J. Usall, R. Torres, N. Teisido and I. Vinas. 2015. Application of modified atmosphere packaging as a safety approach to fresh-cut fruits and vegetables-A review. Trends in Food Science & Technology 46:13-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2015.07.017
- Ooraikul, B. and M. E. Stiles. 1991. Modified atmosphere packaging of food. Ellis Horwood, UK.
- Park, K. W. and H. M. Kang. 1998a. Effects of the sources and thickness of plastic films on the shelf life and quality of cucumber during modified atmosphere storage. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 39:397-401.
- Rodriguesz-Aguilera, R. and J. C. Oliveira. 2009. Review of Design engineering Methods and Applications of Active and Modified Atmosphere Packaging Systems. Food Eng. Rev. 1:66-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12393-009-9001-9
- Rubio, B., C. Vieira and B. Martinez. 2016. Effect of post mortem temperatures and modified atmospheres packaging on shelf life of suckling lamb meat. LWT-Food Science and Technology 69:563-569. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2016.02.008
- Rux, G., P.V. Mahajan, M. Geyer, M. Linke, A. Pant, S. Saengerlaub and O. J. Caleb. 2015. Application of humidity-regulating tray for packaging of mushrooms. Postharvest Biology and Technology 108:102-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2015.06.010
- Sandhya. 2010. Modified atmosphere packaging of fresh produce: current status and future needs. LWT-Food Science and Technology 43:381-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2009.05.018
- Selcuk, N. and M. Erkan. 2015. The effects of modified and palliflex controlled atmosphere storage on postharvest quality and composition of 'Istanbul' medlar fruit. Postharvest Biology and Technology 99:9-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2014.07.004
- Socolofsky S. A. and G. H. Jirka. 2002. Environmental Fluid Mechanics Part I: Mass Transfer and Diffusion 2nd Edition. University Karlsruhe. Germany. pp 9-10.
- Syverud, K. and P. Stenius. 2009. Strength and barrier properties of MFC films. Cellulose 16:75-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10570-008-9244-2
- Gorrish, L. G. M. and L. W. Peppelenbos. 1992. Modified atmosphere and vacuum packaging to extend the shelf-life of respiring food products. HortTechnology 2:303-309.
- Helland., H. S., A. Leufven, G. B. Bengtsson, J. Skaret, P. Lea and A. B. Wold. 2016. Storage of Fresh-cut swede and turnip in modified atmosphere: effects on vitamin C, sugars, glucosinolates and sensory attributes. Postharvest Biology and Technology 111:150-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2015.07.028
- Huang, J., W. Ulrich, S. Schmauder and S. Geier. 2011. Micro-mechanical modeling of Young's modulus of semi-crystalline polyamide 6 (PA 6) and elastomer particle-modified-PA 6. Computational Materials Science 50:1315-1319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2010.03.012
- Iqbal, T., F. A. S. Rodrigues, P. V. Mahajan and J. P. Kerry. 2009. Mathematical modeling of the influence of temperature and gas composition on the respiration rate of shredded carrots. J Food Eng 91:325-332. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2008.09.012
- Kader, A. A., D. Zagory and E. L. Kerbel. 1989. Modified atmosphere Packaging of fruits and vegetables. CRC Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 28:1-30. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398909527502
- Koide, S. and J. Shi. 2007. Microbial and quality evaluation of green peppers stored in biodegradable film packaging. Food Control 18:1121-1125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2006.07.013
- Lee, H. D., H. S. Yun, H. Jeong and Y. G. Kim. 2005. Respiration Charateristics Modeling of 'Fuji' apples under the controlled atmosphere. Proceedings of the Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery Conference. 10(1):265-268.
- Lee, L., J. Arul, R. Lencki and F. Castaigne. 1996. A Review on Modified Atmosphere Packaging and Preservation of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: Physiological Basis and Practical Aspects. Packaging Technology and Science 9:1-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1522(199601)9:1<1::AID-PTS349>3.0.CO;2-W
- Lim, K. T., J. Kim and J. H. Chung. 2014. Development of Long-Term Storage Technology for Chinese Cabbage-Physiological Characteristics of Postharvest Freshness in a Cooler with a Monitoring and Control Interface. J. of Biosystems Eng. 39:194-204. https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2014.39.3.194
- Linke, M. and M. Geyer. 2013. Condensation dynamics in plastic film packaging of fruit and vegetables. J Food Eng 116:144-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2012.11.026
- Mangaraj, S., T. K. Goswami and P.V. Mahajan. 2009. Applications of Plastic Films for Modified Atmosphere Packaging of Fruits and Vegetables: A Review. Food Eng Rev 1:133-158. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12393-009-9007-3
- Mistriotis, A., A. Giannoulis, D. Giannopoulos and D. Briassoulis. 2011. Analysis of the effect of perforation on the permeability of biodegradable non-barrier films. Procedia Food Science 1:32-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profoo.2011.09.006
- Effect of Pallet Size MAP using PA Film and LLDPE Film on the Shelf Life of Tomatoes and Paprikas vol.22, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2018.22.2.100
Grant : Development of MA pallet packing system for the export of agricultural products
Supported by : Rural Development Administration