- Volume 31 Issue 6
This study aims to estimate the failure probability of concrete gravity dams for their risk analysis under flood situation. To the end, failure modes of concrete gravity dams and their limit state functions are proposed based on numerous review of domestic and international literatures on the dam failure cases and design standards. Three failure modes are proposed: overturning, sliding, and overstress. Based on the failure modes the limit state functions, the failure probability is assessed for a weir section and a non-weir section of a dam in Korea. As water level is rising from operational condition to extreme flood condition, the failure probability is found to be raised up to the warning condition, especially for overturning mode at the non-weir section. The result can be used to reduce the risk of the dam by random environmental variables under possible flood situation.
concrete gravity dam;failure probability analysis;risk analysis;flood
- I. S. Ha, J. W. Lee, S. E. Cho and B. H. Oh, "Development of Dam Earthquake Monioring System and Application of Earthquake Records for Dam Safety Management against Earthquake", Proceedings of Korean Geotechnical Society, 2008.
- ANCOLD Guidelines on Dam Safety Management, Australian National Committee on Large Dams, 2003.
- Interim Dam Safety Public Protection Guidelines - A Risk Framework to Support Dam Safety Decision-Making, Bureau of Reclamation, USA, 2012.
- ANCOLD Guidelines on Risk Assessment, Australian National Committee on Large Dams, 2003.
- National Technical Strategy Plan for Performance Improvement and Safety Management of Water Structures, K water, 2009.
- A.H.S. Ang and C.A. Cornell, "Reliability-based Structural Safety Design", Journal of the Structure Division - ASCE, Vol.100, No. ST9, pp. 1755-1769, 1974.
- A. M. Hasofer and N. Lind "An Exact and Invariant First-order Reliability Format", Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol.100, pp. 111-121, 1974.
- R. Rackwitz and B. Fiessler, "Structural Reliability under Combined Random Load Sequences", Computers and Structures, Vol. 9, pp. 489-494, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(78)90046-9
- R. E. Melchers, Structural Reliability Analysis and Prediction, Wiley, 1999.
- J. Y. Lim and B. S. Jang, "Risk Factor Analysis of Concrete Dam for Decision Making", Proceedings of Korea Concrete Institute, pp. 554-557, 2006.
- ICOLD Bulletin 99: Dam Failures - Statistical Analysis, International Commission on Large Dams, Paris, France, 1995
- Federal Guidelines for Dam Safety, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), USA, 2007.
- Design of Dam, Korea Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, 2011.
- Design of Gravity Dams, Bureau of Reclamation, USA, 1989.
- Safety Control for Dams - Technical Memorandom, No. 2115, Public Works Research Institute, Japan, 1984.
- Dam Safety Guidelines, Canadian Dam Safety Association (CDA), Canada, 1995.
- Swedish Hydropower Companies Guidelines for Dam Safety. Application Guideline (RIDAS TA), Sweden Hydropower Companies Association, 2006 (in Swedish)
- A. Kiureghian, T. Haukaas and K. Fujimura, "Structural Reliability Software at the University of California, Berkely", Structural Safety, Vol. 28, pp. 44-67, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2005.03.002
- L. Altarejos-Garcia, I. Escuder-Bueno, A. Serrano-Lombillo, M.G. Membrillera-Ortuno, "Methodology for Estimating the Probability of Failure by Sliding in Concrete Gravity Dams in the Context of Risk Analyis", Structural Safety, Vol. 36-37, pp. 1-13, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2012.01.001
- C. Bernstone, M. Westberg, and J. Jeppsson, "Structural Assessment of a Concrete Dam Based on Uplift Pressure Monitoring", Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol 135, pp. 133-142, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2009)135:1(133)
- L. Peyras, P. Royet, L. Deroo, R. Albert, J. Becue, S. Aigouy, E. Bourdarot, D. Loudiere, and J. Kovarik, "French Recommendations for Limit-State Analytical Review of Gravity Dam Stability", European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering, Vol. 12, pp. 1137-1164, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/19648189.2008.9693071
- ACI 214R-02, Evaluation of Strength Test Results of Concrete, American Concrete Institute, USA, 2002.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 국토교통과학기술진흥원