- Volume 14 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Athlete's Achievement Goal Orientation on Life Satisfaction
운동 성취목표 성향이 선수들의 삶의 만족에 미치는 영향
- Hwang, Sung-Geun (Kyongbuk Science College)
- 황성근 (경북과학대학교)
- Received : 2016.03.28
- Accepted : 2016.05.20
- Published : 2016.05.28
This study aims to verify the relationship between achievement goal orientation and life satisfaction. It consists of 450 athletes from high school, university, and professional teams as an object. After examining reliability and validity on questionnaires, the data, based on gender, was evaluated by analysis of variance, correlation analysis, and multiple regression analysis. The result says that male athletes have higher scores in Mastery approach and Performance approach - two of the four achievement motivation factors - which means a meaningful difference between gender. Life satisfaction also shows that male players have more satisfaction and indicates a big difference between gender. Finally, according to the multiple regression analysis on the Athlete's achievement goal orientation and life satisfaction, Mastery approach affects statically but Mastery avoidance does negatively on athlete's life satisfaction. The gender-based relationship between Athlete's achievement goal orientation and life satisfaction reveals that mastery approach gives positive effects on life satisfaction for both genders, but mastery avoidance influences negatively on male and female life satisfaction.
- Seligman, M. E. P, Authentic Happiness, New York, Free Press. 2002
- June-Ho Song, Moon-Sik Woo, "The Effect of Organizational Member's Characteristics on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Citizenship Behavior: Mediating Role of Happiness. Korean Corporation Management Associator", Vol. 52, pp. 45-65, 2013.
- Lent, R. W., Singley, D., Sheu, H., Gainor, K. A., Brenner, B. R., Treistman, D, "Social cognitive predictors of domain and life satisfaction: Exploring the theoretical precursors of subjective well-being. Journal of Counseling Psychology", Vol. 52, pp. 429-442, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.1689
- Won-Il Son, Won-Seok Oh, Jin-Ho Back, Hyuk-Ki Seok, Yong-Sik Lee, Sung-Guen Hwang, "Effects of the Happiness on Psychological Skills of College Athletes. The Korea Journal of Sports Science", Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 413-425, 2015.
- Andrew, F. M, "Social indicators of perceived life quality. Social Indicators Research", Vol. 1, pp. 279-299, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00303860
- Elliot, A. J., & Thrash, T. M, "Achievement goals and the hierarchical model of achievement motivation. Educational Psychology Review", Vol. 12, pp. 139-156, 2001.
- Maehr, M. L, Meaning and motivation. In R. Ames & C. Ames (Eds.), "Research on motivation in education, pp. 115-144, New York: Academic Press. 1984.
- Ames, C., & Archer, J, "Mothers' belief about the role of ability and effort in school learning. Journal of Educational Psychology", Vol. 79, pp. 409-414, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1249
- Nicholls, J. G, "The competitive ethos and democratic education. Cambridge", MA: Harvard University Press. 1989.
- Elliot, A. J, "Integrating 'classic' and contemporary approaches to achievement motivation: A hierarchical model of approach and avoidance achievement motivation. In P. Pintrich & M. Maehr (Eds.), Advances in motivation and achievement, pp. 143-179, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, 1997.
- Elliot, A. J., & Church, M. A, "A hierarchical model of approach and avoidance achievement motivation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 72, pp. 218-232. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
Elliot, A. J., & McGregor, H. A, "A 2
$\times$2 achievement goal framework. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 80, pp. 501- 519, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.521
- Lent, R. W. & Brown, S. D, "Social Cognitive Career Theory and Subjective Well-Being in the Context of Work. Journal of Career Assessment", Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 6-21, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/1069072707305769
- Myeong-Whan Cho, Cheong-Oh Kim, Seok-Man Kwon, "quality of life of the adolescent. Social science & Policy research", Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 61-94, 1994.
- Soon-sung Lee, "A Study on Longitudinal Analysis of Adolescent's Life Satisfaction and Its Related Variables. Ph. D. dissertation", Kang Won University. 2010.
- Hyun-Jung Lee, "The Influence of Positive Emotion, Flow and Meaning in Life of High School Students upon their Happiness. Ph. D. dissertation", Keimyung University. 2008.
- Bo-Young Kim, "Differences in ambivalence over emotional expression and life satisfaction based on the optimism level of youth students. Ph. D. dissertation", Catholic University. 2007.
- Sung-Geun Hwang, "The Relationship between Autonomy and Achievement Motivation of University Players, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society", Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 1-8, 2015.
Jung-Gil Park, Duk-Sun Chang, "Development and Cross-Validation of 2
$\times$2 Achievement Goals Questionnaire for Sport. Korean Society of Sport Psychology", Vol. 20, No .4, pp. 243-261, 2009.
Elliot, A.J., & McGregor, H. "2
$\times$2 achievement goal framework. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology", Vol. 80, pp. 501-519, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2061
- Diener, E., Emmons, R. A., Larsen, R. J., & Griffin, S, "The satisfaction with life scale. Journal of Personality Assessment", Vol. 49, pp. 71-75, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- Kyeong-ho Cha, "Five Factors of Personality and Life Satisfaction among College Students. The Korea Journal of Youth Counseling" Vol. 9, pp. 7-26, 2001.
Young-wook Kwon, "The Effect of 2
$\times$2 Achievement Goals on Physical Education Participation Motive of Undergraduate Students Ph. D. dissertation", Chung-Ang University. 2010.
Seung-Chan Oh, "2
$\times$2 Influence of Achievement Goals and Perceived Motivational Climate on Satisfaction Physical Education. Ph. D. dissertation", Seonam University. 2012.
- Diener, E, "Subjective well-bing. Psychological Bulletin", Vol. 95, No. 3, pp. 542-502. 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- Diener, E., & Seligman, M. E, "Very happy people. Psychological Science", Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 81-84, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9280.00415
- Byoung-Joon Kim, "Goal Orientation as a Predictor of Sources of Enjoyment and Stress in Youth Sports, Korean Society of Sport Psychology", Vol.12 No.1, pp. 125-140. 2001.
- Seok-Man Kwon, "Why should we care about the power of positive?. The Korean Journal of the Human Development". Vol. 2008, pp. 1-13, 2008.
- Dong-Won Kim, "Wheelchair tennis has ever fusion of classroom participation of the physically disabled basic psychological needs and exercise emotional and exercise commitment", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 15-23, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.015
- Yoon seon-o, kim woo ho, "Convergent research on how golf affects the subjective happiness of mothers who have children with disabilities", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 47-54, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.047