- Volume 54 Issue 3
Many of plastic powders handled in industry are combustible and have the hazard of dust fire and explosion accidents. However poor information about the safe handling has been presented in the production works. The aim of this research is investigated experimentally on explosive characteristics of various plastic powders used in industry and to provide additional data with safety informations. The explosibility parameters investigated using standard dust explosibility test equipment of Siwek 20-L explosion chamber. As the results, the dust explosion index (
Plastic dusts;Dust explosion;Explosion pressure;Flame velocity
- Database for Major Industrial Accidents, Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency(1988-2015).
- Kao, C.-S. and Duh, Y.-S., "Accident Investigation of an ABS Plant," J. Loss Prev. Process Ind., 15(3), 223-232(2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(01)00068-7
- Eckhoff, R. K., Dust Explosions in the Process Industries (3rd ed.), Amsterdam: Gulf Professional Publishing(2003).
- Genserik Reniers and Valerio Cozzani, Domino Effects in the Process Industries: Modelling, Prevention and Managing, Elsevier(2013).
- CSB, Final Report on West Pharmaceutical Dust Explosion Accident, The U.S. Chemical Safety Board(2004).
- Wei Gaoa, Jianliang Yua, Xinyan Zhanga, Jian Lia, Bing Wang, "Characteristics of Vented Nano-polymethyl Methacrylate Dust Explosions," Powder Technology, 283, 406-414(2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2015.06.011
- Hertzberg, M., Zlochower, I. A. and Cashdollar, K. L., "Volatility Model for Coal Dust Flame Propagation and Extinguishment," 21st International Symposium on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, 325-333(1988).
- Cashdollar, K. L., Hertzberg, M. and Zlochower, I. A., "Effect of Volatility on Dust Flammability Limits for Coals, Gilsonite and Polyethylene," 22st International Symposium on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, 1757-1765(1989).
- Cashdollar, K. L., "Overview of Dust Explosibility Characteristics," J. Loss Prev. Process Ind., 13(3), 183-199(2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(99)00039-X
- Duh, Y.-S., Ho, T.-C., Chen, J.-R. and Kao, C.-S., "Study on Exothermic Oxidation of Acrylonitrile-butadienestyrene (ABS) Resin Powder with Application to ABS Processing Safety," Polymers, 2(3), 174-187(2010). https://doi.org/10.3390/polym2030174
- Horton, M. D., Goodson, F. P. and Smoot, L. D., "Characteristics of Flat, Laminar Coal Dust Flames," Combustion and Flame, 28, 187-195(1977). https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-2180(77)90024-4
- Proust, C. and Veyssiere, B., "Fundamental Properties of Flames Propagating in Starch Dust-air Mixtures," Combustion Science and Technology, 62, 149-172(1988). https://doi.org/10.1080/00102208808924007
- Mazurkiewicz, J. and Jarosinski, J., "Investigation of a Laminar Cornstarch Dust-air Flame Front," Proceedings of the 6th International Colloquium on Dust Explosions, Shenyang: Northeastern University Press, 179-185(1994).
- Glinka, W., Wang, X., Wolanski, P. and Xie, L., "Velocity and Structure of Laminar Dust Flames," Proceedings of the 7th International Colloquium on Dust Explosions, Bergen, Norway, 61-68(1996).
- Krause, U., Kasch, T. and Gebauer, B., "Velocity and Concentration Effects on the Laminar Burning Velocity of Dust-air Mixtures," Proceedings of the 7th International Colloquium on Dust Explosions, Bergen, Norway, 51-54(1996).
- Han, O. S., Yashima, M., Matsuda, T., Matsui, H., Miyake, A. and Ogawa, T., "Behaviour of Flames Propagating through Lycopodium Dust Clouds in a Vertical Duct," J. Loss Prev. Process Ind., 13, 449-457(2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(99)00072-8
- Dahoe, A. E. and de Goey, L. P. H., "On the Determination of the Laminar Burning Velocity from Closed Vessel Gas Explosions," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 16, 457-478(2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(03)00073-1
- Proust, C., "Flame Propagation and Combustion in some Dust-air Mixture," J. Loss Prev. Process Ind., 19, 89-100(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2005.06.026
- Han, O. S., Han, I. S. and Choi, Y. R., "Flame Propagation Characteristics Through Suspended Combustible Particles in a Full-Scaled Duct," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 47(5), 572-579(2009).
- Lewis, B. and von Elbe, G., Combustion, Flames and Explosions of Gases (3rd ed.), Orlando, FL: Academic Press (1987).
- Veynante, D. and Vervisch, L., "Turbulent Combustion Modelling," Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 28, 193-266 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1285(01)00017-X
- Tezok, F. I., Kauffman, C. W., Sichel, M. and Nichols, J. A., "Turbulent Burning Velocity Measurements for Dust-air Mixtures in a Constant Volume Spherical Bomb," Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, 105, 184-195(1986).
- Van der and Wel, P., Ignition and Propagation of Dust Explosions, Delft Univ. Press, Netherlands(1993).
- Dahoe, A. E., Zevenbergen, J. F., Lemkowitz, S. M. and Scarlett, B., "Dust Explosions in Spherical Vessels: The Role of Flame Thickness in the Validity of the Cube-root Law," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 9, 33-44(1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0950-4230(95)00054-2
- Han, O. S., Han, I. S. and Choi, Y. R., "Prediction of Flame Propagation Velocity Based on the Behavior of Dust Particles," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 47(6), 705-709(2009).
- Han, O. S., Han, I. S., Choi, Y. R. and Lee, K. W., "Explosion Properties and Thermal Stability of Reactive Organic Dust," KIGAS, 15(4), 7-14(2011).
- ASTM E1226, Standard Test Method for Pressure and Rate of Pressure Rise for Combustible Dusts, The American Society for Testing and Materials(1988).
- Bartknecht, W., Dust-Explosions, Course, Prevention, Protection, Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg, New York(1989).
- Wu, H.-C., Ou, H.-J., Hsiao, H.-C. and Shih, T.-S., "Explosion Characteristics of Aluminum Nanopowders," Aerosol and Air Quality Research, 10, 38-42(2010).