- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Educational Effects and Learners' Experiences during Collaborative Learning
협력학습의 교육적 효과 및 학습자들의 수업 경험
- Lee, Soon-Deok (Department of Elementary Special Education, Nambu University)
- 이순덕 (남부대학교 초등특수교육과)
- Received : 2015.12.23
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.04.30
The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of collaborative learning and explore the learners' experiences in three dimensions: cognition, emotion and motivation. Another purpose of this study was to make an in-depth examination of learners' experiences during collaborative learning. Data were collected from 44 students at N university who participated in collaborative learning for 7 weeks. The results were as follows: First, collaborative learning had significant effects on the higher group of collaborative tendencies on academic achievements. Second, collaborative learning had no significant effects on their epistemological beliefs, the higher group of collaborative tendencies and the lower beliefs involving simple knowledge and tentative knowing. Finally, learners amassed cognitive, emotional, and motivational experience during collaborative learning. We suggest that the for the effective implementation of collaborative learning.
- Vygotsky, L. S., Mind in Society: The Development of Higher Psychological Processes, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 1978.
- Tobin, K., "Alternative perspectives on authentic learning environments in elementary science", International Journal of Educational Research, 27(4), 303-310, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0883-0355(97)90012-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-0355(97)90012-4
- Sharan, Y., "Cooperative learning for academic and social gains: Valued pedagogy, problematic practice", European Journal of Education, 45(2), 300-313, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-3435.2010.01430.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-3435.2010.01430.x
- Brody, C., Davidson, N., Professional Development For Cooperative Learning: Issues and Approaches, SUNY Press: Albany, 1998.
- Johnson, D. W., Johnson, R. T., Stanne, M. E., "Cooperative Learning Methods: A Meta-analysis", Cooperative Learning Center, University of Minnesota: Minneapolis, 2000.
- Mercer, N., Wegerif, R., Dawes, L., "Children's talk and the development of reasoning in the classroom", British Educational Research Journal, 25(1), 95-112, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0141192990250107 https://doi.org/10.1080/0141192990250107
- Slavin, R. E., "Research on cooperative learning & achievement: What we know, what we need to know", Contemporary Educational Psychologist, 21, 43-69, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1996.0004 https://doi.org/10.1006/ceps.1996.0004
- Kagan, S., Cooperative Learning. San Clemente, CA: Resources for Teachers, Inc., 1994.
- H. S. Kang, M. C. Kang, "A meta-analysis of the effects of cooperative learning", The Journal of Child Education, 15(1), 69-82, 2006.
- King, A., "Autonomy and question asking: The role of personal control in guided student-generated questing", Learning and Individual Difference, 27, 664-687, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/1041-6080(94)90008-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/1041-6080(94)90008-6
- Cohen, E. G., "Restructuring the classroom: Conditions for productive small group", Review of Educational Research, 64(1), 1-35, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/00346543064001001 https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543064001001
- D. W. Lee, Human education and cooperative learning. Seoul: Sungwonsa, 1995.
- Eby, L. T., Dobbins, G. H., "Collectivistic orientation in teams and individual and group-level analysis", Journal of Organizational Behavior, 18(3), 275-295, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199705)18:3<275::AID-JOB796>3.0.CO;2-C https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199705)18:3<275::AID-JOB796>3.0.CO;2-C
- Kirkman, B. L., Shapiro, D. L., "The impact of team members' cultural values on productivity, cooperation, and empowerment in self-managing work teams", Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 32(5), 597-617, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0022022101032005005 https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022101032005005
- Wagner, J. A., "Studies of Individualism-Collectivism: Effects on Cooperation in Groups", Academy of Management Journal, 38(1), 152, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/256731 https://doi.org/10.2307/256731
- Johnson, D. W., Johnson, F. P., Joining Together: Group Theory and Group Skills, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.: Prentice Hall, 1999.
- Jia, Y., "Building a Web-based collaborative learning environment", IEEE ITHET 6th Annual International Conference, Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic, 7-9 July, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ITHET.2005.1560279 https://doi.org/10.1109/ITHET.2005.1560279
- Stoyannova, N., Kommers, P., "Learning effectiveness of concept mapping in a computer-supported collaborative problem solving design", Euro CSCL Conference Proceedings, 2001.
- Puntambekar, S., "An integrates approach to individual and collaborative learning in a web-based learning environment", CSCL '99 Proceedings of the 1999 conference on Computer support for collaborative learning, 1999.
- McLoughlin, C., Luca, J., "A learner-centered approach to developing team skills through web-based learning and assessment", British Journal of Educational Technology, 33(5), 571-582, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-8535.00292 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8535.00292
- Ghaith, G. M., "The relationship between forms of instruction, achievement and perceptions of classroom climate", Educational Research, 45(1), 83-93, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0013188032000086145 https://doi.org/10.1080/0013188032000086145
- Sanna, L. J., "Self-efficacy theory: Implication for social facilitation and social loafing", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 62(5), 774-786, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.114 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1684
- Webb, N. M., Palincscar, A. S., "Group processes in the classroom", In D. Berliner & R. Calfee (Eds.), Handbook of educational psychology, NY: Macmillan, 1996.
- Hofer, B. K., Pintrich, P. R., "The development of epistemological theories: Beliefs about knowledge and knowing and their relation to learning", Review of Educational Research, 67(1), 88-140, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/00346543067001088 https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543067001088
- Schommer, M., "Epistemological development and academic performance among secondary students", Journal of Educational Psychology, 85, 406-411, 1993. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1246 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1996
- Schommer, M., "Effects of beliefs about the nature of knowledge on comprehension", Journal of Educational psychology, 82(3), 498-504, 1990. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.528 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2068
- Gill, M. G., Ashton, P. T., Algina, J., "Changing pre-service teachers epistemological beliefs about teaching and learning in mathematics: An intervention study", Contemporary Educational Psychology, 29(2), 95-102, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2004.01.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2004.01.005
- Hofer, B. K., "Exploring the dimensions of personal epistemology in differing classroom contexts: Student interpretations during the first year of college", Contemporary Educational Psychology, 29(2), 129-163, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2004.01.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2004.01.002
- Valanides, N., Angeli, C., "Effects of instruction on change in epistemological beliefs", Contemporary Educational Psychology, 30(3), 314-330, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2005.01.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2005.01.001
- Stahl, E., Pieschl, S., Bromme, R., "Task complexity, epistemological beliefs and metacognitive calibration: An exploratory study", Journal of Educational Computing Research, 35(4), 319-338, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2190/1266-0413-387K-7J51 https://doi.org/10.2190/1266-0413-387K-7J51
- Rukavina, I., Daneman, M., "Integration and its effects in acquiring knowledge about competing scientific theories from text", Journal of Educational psychology, 88, 272-287, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.112 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.1682
- Kardash, C. M., Howell, K. L., "Effects of epistemological beliefs and topic-specific undergraduates' cognitive and strategic processing of dual-positional text", Journal of Educational psychology, 92(2), 524-535, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1244 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1994
- Hofer, B. K., "Demensionality and displinary differences in personal epistemology", Journal of Educational psychology, 378-405, 2000.
- Schommer-Aikins, M., Mau, W., Brookhart, S., Hutter, R., "Understanding middle students' beliefs about knowledge and learning using a multidimentional paradigm", Journal of Educational Research, 94, 120-128, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00220670009598750 https://doi.org/10.1080/00220670009598750
- Schommer-Aikins, M., Hutter, R., "Epistemological beliefs and thinking about everyday controversial issues", The Journal of Educational psychology, 136(1), 5-20, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00223980209604134 https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980209604134
- Harrington, H. L., Quinn-Leering, K., Hodson, L., "Written case analyses and critical reflection", Teaching and Teacher Education, 12(1), 25-37, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(96)89078-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/0742-051X(96)89078-0
- Schraw, G., Dunkle, M. E., Bendixen, L. D., "Cognitive processes in well-defined and ill-defined problem solving", Applied Cognitive Psychology, 9, 1-16, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/acp.2350090605 https://doi.org/10.1002/acp.2350090102
- Jocobson, M. J., Spiro, R. J., "Hypertext learning environments, cognitive flexibility, and the transfer of complex knowledge: An empirical investigation", Journal of Educational Computing Research, 12(4), 301-333, 1995. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2190/4T1B-HBP0-3F7E-J4PN https://doi.org/10.2190/4T1B-HBP0-3F7E-J4PN
- Schommer, M., Crouse, A., Rhodes, N., "Epistemological beliefs and mathematical text comprehension: Believing it's simple doesn't make it so", Journal of Educational Psychology, 84, 435-443, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.525
- Songer, N. B., Linn, M. C., "How do students' view of science influence knowledge integration?", Journal of Research Science Teaching, 28, 761-784, 1991. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660280905 https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660280905
- Pajares, F., "Teachers' beliefs and educational research: Cleaning up a messy construct", Review of Educational Research, 62, 307-332, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/00346543062003307 https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543062003307
- S. D. Lee, E. G. Chung, S. A. Oh, " The relationship between professors' epistemological beliefs and teaching methods", The Journal of Korean Educational Forum, 8(1), 79-100, 2009.
- Cunningham, J. W., & Fitgerald, J., "Epistemology and reading", Reading Research Quartly, 31(1), 36-60, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1598/RRQ.31.1.3 https://doi.org/10.1598/RRQ.31.1.3
- Solomon, D., & Battistich, V., "Teacher beliefs and practices in schools serving communities that differ in socioeconomic level", Journal of Experimental Education, 64(4), 327-347, 1996. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00220973.1996.10806602 https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.1996.10806602
- H. J. Jung, D. S. Kim, " The effects of the types of collaboration model on collaboration load and outcomes in computer supported collaborative learning", The Korean Journal of Educational Technology, 26(3), 105-124, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.26.3.105
- B. G. Bak, S. Y. Chai, " Re-conceptualization of personal epistemology and its validation", The Korean Journal of Educational Psychology, 20(4), 829-854, 2006.
- S. D. Lee, "The effects of students teaching on pre-service special education teachers' view of teaching profession, teacher efficacy and epistemological beliefs", The Journal of Nambu University, 14, 31-41, 2014.
- H. J. Koh, E. J. Lee, & S. J. Kang, "The effects of a cooperative learning strategy by level of students' collectivism", Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, 57(3), 389-397, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2013.57.3.389 https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2013.57.3.389