- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Exploratory Study of Publicness in Healthcare Sector through Text Network Analysis
텍스트 네트워크 분석을 통한 보건의료 영역에서의 공공성 탐색
- Min, Hye Sook (Department of Preventive Medicine, Seoul National University Graduate School of Public Health) ;
- Kim, Chang-Yup (Department of Preventive Medicine, Seoul National University Graduate School of Public Health)
- Received : 2016.01.22
- Accepted : 2016.03.25
- Published : 2016.03.31
Background: The publicness concept in healthcare has been built to its social consensus relying on historical context, with the result that the meaning of publicness has a great diversity and heterogeneous nature in Korea. Thus it needs to be addressed to clarify the meaning and boundary of the publicness concept in healthcare, so as to discuss its social implication. Methods: In order to investigate whether or how the publicness concept is used in healthcare, we conducted a text network analysis in 779 news articles from 8 Korean daily newspapers over a recent 5-year period. Results: The publicness concept was closely related to medicine and medical institution, and formed a conceptual network with public health, medicine, welfare, patient, government, Jin-ju city, and health. Keywords relating publicness tended to be similar between four major newspapers; however, the association with Jin-ju city, government, and society was noticeable in Kyunghyang Shinmun and Hankyoreh, and so was patient and service in Dong-A Ilbo. Conclusion: Publicness and medicine was closely associated, and government seemed to remain as a main actor for public interest. Publicness was related with a variety of actors and values, with its expanded boundary. The different contexts of publicness by newspapers might reflect each ideological inclination. The textual importance of publicness was relatively low in part, which suggests that publicness was used in a loose sense or as a routine.
- Cho DY. Transition of modernity and restructuring of publicness: logic of social constructive publicness and structure of micro publicness. Korean Soc 2012;13(1):3-61.
- Shin J. The public in Korean society. Citiz World 2007;11:18-39.
- Hong ST. Civil publicness and the development of Korean society. Democr Soc Policy Stud 2008;13:72-97.
- Kim CY. Publicness of healthcare in Korea: path dependency or modernization: proceedings of the Korean Society of Social History fall conference [Internet]. Seoul: The Korean Society of Social History; 2012 [cited 2016 Jan 22]. Available from: http://www.cykim.pe.kr/KSSH_PubHe2012Oct19.pdf.
- Oh Y. Issues on the optimal level of public health sector in Korea. Health Soc Welf Rev 2005;25(1):37-71.
- Lee SY. Changes and outlook in health care in 2009. Health Welf Policy Forum 2009;1:20-27.
- Yoon TH. Health policy-centering public and market function. Trends Welf 2008;(111):17-22.
- Lee SH. Modernity and the dilemma of publicness: concepts and thoughts. Democr Soc Policy Stud 2008;13:13-45.
- Kang EJ. Alternatives in the expansion of the public sector in health care. Health Welf Policy Forum 2004;10:57-67.
- Kim J. Where can we find "publicness" in Korea health policy? Korean J Public Health 2013;50(2):113-127.
- Shin YJ. The historical context and policy implications of health care privatization policy and social response in South Korea. J Crit Soc Policy 2010;(29):45-90.
- Kim CY. Expansion of public health care and democratic publicness: proceedings of the seminar commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Health Welfare Social Cooperative [Internet]. Seoul: The Health Welfare Social Cooperative; 2014 [cited 2016 Jan 22]. Available from: http://www.cykim.pe.kr/PubDemo_2014Apr18.pdf.
- Byun JO. Health cooperative-healthcare movement for publicness in healthcare of private sector. Soc Crit 2003;35:221-237.
- Kim M, Min HJ. A study of the role and style of the role execution of health-and-medical-service-related NGOs: perspectives from civic group actors. Korean Policy Sci Rev 2005;9(1):49-71.
- Synn J. The search for the role of the health cooperatives in reforming national health care system. Korean Soc Secur Stud 2014;8:151-182.
- Public Health Care Law, Law No.11247 (Feb 1, 2012).
- Shin YJ. What does the publicness means for us? Proceedings of the Monthly Discussion; 2001; Seoul, Korea. Seoul: Hanyang University; 2001.
- Yang YK. The establishment of "publicness" concept for the enhancement of healthcare "publicness". The Korean Doctors' Weekly. 2014 May 24.
- Park CS, Jung JW. Text network analysis: sharing meanings among stakeholders of the policy through a socio-cognitive network analysis. J Gov Stud 2013;19(2):75-110.
- Danowski JA. Network analysis of message content. Prog Commun Sci 1993;12:198-221.
- Paranyushkin D. Text network analysis [Internet]. Palo Alto (CA): Issuu Inc.; 2010 [cited 2013 Dec 25]. Available from: http://issuu.com/deemeetree/docs/text-network-analysis.
- Choi YC, Park SJ. A study on the research trend of Korean public administration: application of network text analysis. Korean Public Adm Rev 2011;45(1):123-139. Cited from Cho J. A study for research area of library and information science by network text analysis. Korean Soc Inform Manag 2011;2028(2014):2065-2083.
- Paranyushkin D. Identifying the pathways for meaning circulation using text network analysis. Berlin: Nodus Labs; 2011.
- Cho J. A study for research area of library and information science by network text analysis. Korean Soc Inf Manag 2011;28(4):65-83.
- Lee SK, Jeong S, Kim HG, Yom YH. A social network analysis of research topics in Korean nursing science. J Korean Acad Nurs 2011;41(5):623-632. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.623. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.623
- Kim M, Noh S, Ryu E, Shin S. Research trend analysis of do-not-resuscitate decision: based on text network analysis. Asian Oncol Nurs 2014;14(4):254-264. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2014.14.4.254. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2014.14.4.254
- Kim YH. Analysis of connection centrality degree of hot terminologies according to the discourses of privatizaiton of health care. J Korean Content Assoc 2012;12(8):207-214. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.08.207
- Seale C. Health and media: an overview. Sociol Health Illn 2003;25(6):513-531. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1467-9566.t01-1-00356. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9566.t01-1-00356
- Chekar C. Framing health issues in mass media: a discourse analysis [master's thesis]. Gwangju: Chonnam National University; 2001.
- Gollust SE, Lantz PM. Communicating population health: print news media coverage of type 2 diabetes. Soc Sci Med 2009;69(7):1091-1098. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.07.009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.07.009
- Park HW, Leydesdorff L. Understanding the KrKwic: a computer program for the analysis of Korean text. J Korean Data Anal Soc 2004;6(5):1377-1387.
- Kam M, Song M. A study on differences of contents and tones of arguments among newspapers using text mining analysis. J Intell Inf Syst 2012;18(3):53-77.
- Choi HJ. A study on the diversity of Korean newspapers: analyzing the tendencies of covering three major issues. Korean J Commun Stud 2010;6:399-426.
- A Comparison of Hospice Care Research Topics between Korea and Other Countries Using Text Network Analysis vol.47, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2017.47.5.600