- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Seismic response of nonstructural components considering the near-fault pulse-like ground motions
- Zhai, Chang-Hai (School of Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Zheng, Zhi (School of Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Li, Shuang (School of Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Pan, Xiaolan (School of Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Xie, Li-Li (School of Civil Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2015.08.18
- Accepted : 2015.12.21
- Published : 2016.05.25
This paper investigates the response of nonstructural components in the presence of nonlinear behavior of the primary structure considering the near-fault pulse-like ground motions. A database of 81 near-fault pulse-like ground motions is used to examine the effect of these ground motions on the response of nonstructural components. For comparison, a database of 573 non-pulse-like ground motions selected from the PEER database is also employed. The effects of peak ground velocity (PGV), maximum incremental velocity (MIV), primary structural degrading behavior and damping of nonstructural components are evaluated and discussed statistically. Results are presented in terms of amplification factor which quantifies the effect of inelastic deformations of the primary structure on subsystem responses. The results indicate that the near-fault pulse-like ground motions can significantly increase the amplification factors of nonstructural components with primary structural period and the magnitude of increase can reach 17%. The effect of PGV and MIV on amplification factors tends to increase with the increase of primary structural ductility. The near-fault pulse-like ground motions are more dangerous to components supported by structures with strength and stiffness degrading behavior than ordinary ground motions. A new simplified formulation is proposed for the application of amplification factors for design of nonstructural components for near-fault pulse-like ground motions.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Alavi, B. and Krawinkler, H. (2004), "Behavior of moment-resisting frame structures subjected to near-fault ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 33(6), 687-706. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.369
- Bumpus, S., Johnson, J. and Smith, P. (1980), "Best estimate method versus evaluation method: a comparison of two techniques in evaluating seismic analysis and design", UCRL52746; NUREGCR1489, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA.
- Baker, J.W. (2007), "Quantitative classification of near-fault ground motions using wavelet analysis", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 97(5), 1486-1501. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120060255
- Baez, J.I. and Miranda, E. (2000), "Amplification factors to estimate inelastic displacement demands for the design of structures in the near field", Proceeding of the 12th world conference on earthquake engineering, Paper Number: 1561.
- Bates, D.M. and Watts, D.G. (1988), Nonlinear regression analysis and its applications, Wiley, New York.
- Chen, Y.Q. and Soong, T.T. (1988), "Seismic response of secondary systems", Eng. Struct., 10(4), 218-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(88)90043-0
- Chauduri, S.R. and Villaverde, R. (2008), "Effect of building nonlinearity on seismic response of nonstructural components: A parametric study", J. Earthq. Eng., 134(4), 661-670.
- Filiatrault, A., Christopoulos, C. and Stearns, C. (2002) Guidelines, Specifications, and Seismic Performance Characterization of Nonstructural Building Components and Cquipment, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, Berkeley, CA.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) (2005), "Improvement of nonlinear static seismic analysis procedures", Report FEMA 440.
- Ghahari, S.F. and Khaloo, A.R. (2013), "Considering rupture directivity effects, which structures should be named 'long-period buildings'?", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 22(2), 165-178. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.667
- Gupta, A.K. (1990), Response Spectrum Method in Seismic Analysis and Design of Structures, Blackwell Scientific Publications: Boston, MA.
- Hall, J.F., Heaton, T.H., Halling, M.W. and Wald, D.J. (1995), "Near-source ground motion and its effects on flexible buildings", Earthq. Spectra, 11(4), 569-605. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585828
- Ismail, M., Casas, J.R. and Rodellar, J. (2013), "Near-fault isolation of cable-stayed bridges using RNC isolator", Eng. Struct., 56, 327-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.04.007
- Jalali, R.S., Bahari, Jokandan, M. and Trifunac, M.D. (2012), "Earthquake response of a threespan, simply supported bridge to near-field pulse and permanent displacement step", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 43, 380-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.08.004
- Joyner, W.B. and Boore, D.M. (1981), "Peak horizontal acceleration and velocity from strong motion records including records from the 1979 Imperial Valley, California, earthquake", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 71(6), 2011-2038.
- Karalar, M., Padgett, J.E. and Dicleli, M. (2012), "Parametric analysis of optimum isolator properties for bridges susceptible to near-fault ground motions", Eng. Struct., 40, 276-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.02.023
- Kanee, A.R.T., Kani, I.M.Z. and Noorzad, A. (2013), "Elastic floor response spectra of nonlinear frame structures subjected to forward-directivity pulses of near-fault records", Earthq. Struct., 5(1), 49-65. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.1.049
- Kennedy, R.P., Short, S.A. and Newmark, N.M. (1981), "The response of a nuclear power plant to near-field moderate magnitude earthquakes", Transactions of the 6th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, Palais des Congres, Paris, France.
- Kunnath, S.K., Reinhorn, A.M. and Lobo, R.F. (1992), "IDARC version 3.0: a program for the inelastic damage analysis of RC structures", Technical report NCEER-92-0022, Buffalo, State University of New York.
- Kunnath, S.K., Reinhorn, A.M. and Park, Y.J. (1990), "Analytical modeling of inelastic seismic response of R/C structures", J. Struct. Eng., 116(4), 996-1017. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:4(996)
- LLNL (1980), "Seismic safety margins research program. Executive summary 1, best estimate versus evaluation method", Report LLL-TB-026. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory: Livermore, CA.
- Lin, J. and Mahin, S.A. (1985), "Seismic response of light subsystems on inelastic structures", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 111(2), 400-417. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1985)111:2(400)
- Lu, L.Y. and Hsu, C.C. (2013), "Experimental study of variable-frequency rocking bearings for near-fault seismic isolation", Eng. Struct., 46, 116-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.07.013
- McKevitt, W.E., Timler, P.A.M. and Lo, K.K. (1995), "Nonstructural damage from the Northridge Earthquake", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 22(2), 428-437. https://doi.org/10.1139/l95-051
- Myrtle, R.C., Masri, S.E., Nigbor, R.L. and Caffrey, J.P. (2005), "Classification and prioritization of essential systems in hospitals under extreme events", Earthquake Spectra, 21(3):779-802. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1988338
- Mazza, F. and Vulcano, A. (2012), "Effects of near-fault ground motions on the nonlinear dynamic response of base-isolated RC framed buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(2), 211-232. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1126
- Naeim, F. (2000), "Learning from structural and nonstructural seismic performance of 20 extensively instrumented buildings", Twelfth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Oropeza, M., Favez, P. and Lestuzzi, P. (2010), "Seismic response of nonstructural components in case of nonlinear structures based on floor response spectra method", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(2), 387-400. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9139-0
- Park, J.H. (2013), "Seismic response of SDOF systems representing masonry-infilled RC frames with damping systems", Eng. Struct., 56, 1735-1750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.07.039
- Phan, L.T. and Taylor, A.W. (1996), "State of the art report on seismic design requirements for nonstructural building components", Report NISTIR 5857, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburgh, MD.
- Phan, V., Saiidi, M.S., Anderson, J. and Ghasemi, H. (2007), "Near-fault ground motion effects on reinforced concrete bridge columns", J. Struct. Eng., 133(7), 982-989. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:7(982)
- Politopoulos, I. (2010), "Floor Spectra of MDOF Nonlinear Structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 14(5), 726-742. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460903427826
- Somerville, P.G., Smith, N.F., Graves, R.W. and Abrahamson, N.A. (1997), "Modisfication of empirical strong motion attenuation relations to include the amplitude and duration effect of rupture directivity", Seismol. Res. Lett., 68(1), 199-222. https://doi.org/10.1785/gssrl.68.1.199
- Sehhati, R., Rodriguez-Marek, A., ElGawady and M Cofer, W.F. (2011), "Effects of near-fault ground motions and equivalent pulses on multi-story structures", Eng. Struct., 33(3), 767-779. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.11.032
- Sankaranarayanan, R. and Medina, R.A. (2006), "Estimation of seismic acceleration demands of nonstructural components exposed to near-fault ground motions", First European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Singh, M.P., Suarez, L.E., Matheu, E.E. and Maldonado, G.O. (1993), "Simplified procedures for seismic design of nonstructural components and assessment of current code provisions", National Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY.
- Soong, T.T. (1994), "Seismic behavior of nonstructural elements state-of-art report", Tenth European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vienna, Austria.
- Sankaranarayanan, R. and Medina, R.A. (2007), "Acceleration response modification factors for nonstructural components attached to inelastic moment-resisting frame structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36(14), 2189-2210. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.724
- Trifunac, M.D. (2009), "The role of strong motion rotations in the response of structures near earthquake faults", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 29(2), 382-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2008.04.001
- Taghavi, S. and Miranda, E. (2003), "Probabilistic study of peak floor acceleration demands in linear structures", Ninth International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering, San Francisco, CA.
- Villaverde, R. (1997), "Seismic design of secondary structures: state of the art", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 123(8), 1011-1019. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:8(1011)
- Villaverde, R. (2004), "Seismic analysis and design of nonstructural components", Earthquake Engineering: From Engineering Seismology to Performance-based Engineering, CRC: Boca Raton, FL.
- Vukobratovic, V. and Fajfar, P. (2015), "A method for the direct determination of approximate floor response spectra for SDOF inelastic structures", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 13(5), 1405-1424. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-014-9667-0
- Wesley, D.A. and Hashimoto, P.S. (1981), "Nonlinear structural response characteristics of nuclear power plant shear wall Structures", Transactions of the 6th International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, Palais des Congres, Paris, France.
- Zhai, C.H., Chang, Z.W., Li, S., Chen, Z.Q. and Xie, L.L. (2013), "Quantitative identification of nearfault pulse-like ground motions based on energy", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 103(5), 2591-2603. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120120320
- Zhai, C.H., Li, S., Xie, L.L. and Sun, Y.M. (2007), "Study on inelastic displacement ratio spectra for nearfault pulse-type ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 6(4), 351-355. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-007-0755-x