- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Direct displacement based seismic design for single storey steel concentrically braced frames
- Salawdeh, Suhaib (Civil Engineering, College of Engineering & Informatics, National University of Ireland) ;
- Goggins, Jamie (Civil Engineering, College of Engineering & Informatics, National University of Ireland)
- Received : 2015.07.25
- Accepted : 2016.02.15
- Published : 2016.05.25
The direct displacement based design (DDBD) approach is spreading in the field of seismic design for many types of structures. This paper is carried out to present a robust approach for the DDBD procedure for single degree of freedom (SDOF) concentrically braced frames (CBFs). Special attention is paid to the choice of an equivalent viscous damping (EVD) model that represents the behaviour of a series of full scale shake table tests. The performance of the DDBD methodology of the CBFs is verified by two ways. Firstly, by comparing the DDBD results with a series of full-scale shake table tests. Secondly, by comparing the DDBD results with a quantified nonlinear time history analysis (NLTHA). It is found that the DDBD works relatively well and could predict the base shear forces (
concentrically braced frames;displacement based design;shake table tests;nonlinear time history analysis;seismic design;equivalent viscous damping
Supported by : Science Foundation Ireland Marine Renewable Energy Ireland (MaREI)
- Shaback, B. and T., Brown (2003), "Behaviour of square hollow structural steel braces with end connections under reversed cyclic axial loading", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 30(4), 745-753. https://doi.org/10.1139/l03-028
- Tang, X. and S.C., Goel (1989), "Brace fractures and analysis of phase I structures", J. Struct. Eng., 115(8), 1960-1976. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:8(1960)
- Tremblay, R. (2002), "Inelastic seismic response of steel bracing members", J. Constr. Steel Res., 58(5-8), 665-701. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00104-3
- Tremblay, R., Timler, P., Bruneau, M. and A., Filiatrault (1995), "Performance of steel structures during the 1994 Northridge earthquake", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 22(2), 338-360. https://doi.org/10.1139/l95-046
- Wijesundara, K.K. (2009), "Design of concentrically braced steel frames with RHS shape braces", Doctoral dissertation, Ph.D. thesis, European Centre for Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering (EUCENTRE).
- Wijesundara, K.K., R., Nascimbene and T.J., Sullivan (2011), "Equivalent viscous damping for steel concentrically braced frame structures", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 9(5), 1535-1558. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-011-9272-4
- Calvi, G.M. and T.J. Sullivan (2009), "A model code for the displacement-based seismic design of structures", Pavia, Italy, IUSS Press.
- CEN (2004), Eurocode 8, design of structures for earthquake resistance-Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, EN 1998-1:2004/AC:2009.
- Della Corte, G. (2006), "Vibration mode vs. collapse mechanism control for steel frames", Proceeding of the Fourth International Conference on Behaviour of Steel Structures in Seismic Area (STESSA 2006), Yokohama, Japan.
- Della Corte, G. and F.M., Mazzolani (2008), "Theoretical developments and numerical verification of a displacement-based design procedure for steel braced structures", 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Della Corte, G., R., Landolfo and F.M., Mazzolani (2010), "Displacement-based seismic design of braced steel structures", Steel Constr., 3(3), 134-139. https://doi.org/10.1002/stco.201010019
- Elghazouli, A.Y. (2010), "Assessment of European seismic design procedures for steel framed structures", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(1), 65-89. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-009-9125-6
- Elghazouli, A.Y., B.M., Broderick, J., Goggins, H., Mouzakis, P., Carydis, J., Bouwkamp and A., Plumier (2005), "Shake table testing of tubular steel bracing members", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Structures and Buildings, 158(4), 229-241. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2005.158.4.229
- Garcia, R., T.J., Sullivan and G., Della Corte (2010), "Development of a displacement-based design method for steel frame-RC wall buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 14(2), 252-277. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460902995138
- Goggins, J. (2004), "Earthquake resistant hollow and filled steel braces", Doctoral dissertation, Ph.D. thesis, Trinity College, University of Dublin.
- Goggins, J. and S., Salawdeh (2013), "Validation of nonlinear time history analysis models for single-storey concentrically braced frames using full-scale shake table tests", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 42(8), 1151-1170. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2264
- Goggins, J. and T., Sullivan (2009), "Displacement-based seismic design of SDOF concentrically braced frames", Proceeding of STESSA 2009, Philadelphia, USA.
- Goggins, J.M., B.M., Broderick, A.Y., Elghazouli and A.S., Lucas (2006), "Behaviour of tubular steel members under cyclic axial loading", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(1-2), 121-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.04.012
- Goggins, J., B.M., Broderick and A.Y., Elghazouli (2006), "Recommendations for the earthquake resistant design of braced steel frames", Proceeding of First European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Archambault, M.H. (1995), Etude du comportement seismique des contreventements ductiles en X avec profiles tubulaires en acier, EPM/GCS-1995-09, Department of Civil Engineering, ecole Polytechnique, Montreal, Que.
- Broderick, B.M., A.Y., Elghazouli and J., Goggins (2008), "Earthquake testing and response analysis of concentrically-braced sub-frames", J. Constr. Steel Res., 64(9), 997-1007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2007.12.014
- Grant, D.N., P.D., Greening, M., Taylor and B., Gosh (2008), "Seed record selection for spectral matching with RSPMatch", The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Bejing, China.
- IBC (2012), 2012 International Building Code, Falls Church, VA, USA.
- Jacobsen, L.S. (1960), "Damping in composite structures", 2nd World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Japan.
- Kowalsky, M.J. (1994), "Displacement-based design-a methodology for seismic design applied to RC bridge columns", Master's thesis, University of California at San Diego.
- Kwan, W.-P. and S.L., Billington (2003), "Influence of hysteretic behavior on equivalent period and damping of structural systems", J. Struct. Eng., 129(5), 576-585. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:5(576)
- Malaga-Chuquitaype, C. and A.Y., Elghazouli (2011), "Consideration of seismic demand in the design of braced frames", Steel Constr., 4(2), 65-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/stco.201110010
- Maley, T.J., T.J., Sullivan and G., Della Corte (2010), "Development of a displacement-based design method for steel dual systems with buckling-restrained braces and moment-resisting frames", J. Earthq. Eng., 14(S1), 106-140. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632461003651687
- McKenna, F., G.L., Fenves and M.H., Scott (2000), "Object oriented program", OpenSees, Open system for earthquake engineering simulation, http//opensees.berkeley.edu.
- Medhekar, M.S. and D.J.L., Kennedy (2000), "Displacement-based seismic design of buildings-application", Eng. Struct., 22(3), 210-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00093-5
- Medhekar, M.S. and D.J.L., Kennedy (2000), "Displacement-based seismic design of buildings-theory", Eng. Struct., 22(3), 201-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00092-3
- Nip, K.H., L., Gardner and A.Y., Elghazouli (2010), "Cyclic testing and numerical modelling of carbon steel and stainless steel tubular bracing members", Eng. Struct., 32(2), 424-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.10.005
- PEER (2011), Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research. PEER Strong Motion Database, Available at http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/.
- Priestley, M.J.N. (1993), "Myths and fallacies in earthquake engineering.-conflicts between design and reality", Bull. NZ. Nat. Soc. Earthq. Eng., 26(3), 329-334.
- Priestley, M.J.N. (2003), "Myths and fallacies in earthquake engineering, revisited", Mallet Milne lecture, IUSS Press. Pavia, Italy.
- Priestley, M.J.N. and D.N., Grant (2005), "Viscous damping in seismic design and analysis", J. Earthq. Eng., 9(sup2), 229-255. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363246905002365
- Priestley, M.J.N., G.M., Calvi and M.J., Kowalsky (2007), "Displacement-based seismic design of structures", IUSS Press, Pavia, Italy.
- Remennikov, A.M. and W.R., Walpole (1997a), "Analytical prediction of seismic behaviour for concentrically-braced steel systems", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(8), 859-874. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199708)26:8<859::AID-EQE684>3.0.CO;2-9
- Salawdeh, S. and J., Goggins (2013), "Numerical simulation for steel brace members incorporating a fatigue model", Eng. Struct., 46, 332-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.07.036
- Shake Table Testing of Concentrically Braced Steel Structures With Realistic Connection Details Subjected to Earthquakes vol.13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2017.12.003
- Shake table assessment of gusset plate connection behaviour in concentrically braced frames vol.138, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.07.022