- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design of a decoupled PID controller via MOCS for seismic control of smart structures
- Etedali, Sadegh (Department of Civil Engineering, Birjand University of Technology) ;
- Tavakoli, Saeed (Faculty of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Sistan and Baluchestan) ;
- Sohrabi, Mohammad Reza (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Sistan and Baluchestan)
- Received : 2015.06.04
- Accepted : 2016.04.03
- Published : 2016.05.25
In this paper, a decoupled proportional-integral-derivative (PID) control approach for seismic control of smart structures is presented. First, the state space equation of a structure is transformed into modal coordinates and parameters of the modal PID control are separately designed in a reduced modal space. Then, the feedback gain matrix of the controller is obtained based on the contribution of modal responses to the structural responses. The performance of the controller is investigated to adjust control force of piezoelectric friction dampers (PFDs) in a benchmark base isolated building. In order to tune the modal feedback gain of the controller, a suitable trade-off among the conflicting objectives, i.e., the reduction of maximum modal base displacement and the maximum modal floor acceleration of the smart base isolated structure, as well as the maximum modal control force, is created using a multi-objective cuckoo search (MOCS) algorithm. In terms of reduction of maximum base displacement and story acceleration, numerical simulations show that the proposed method performs better than other reported controllers in the literature. Moreover, simulation results show that the PFDs are able to efficiently dissipate the input excitation energy and reduce the damage energy of the structure. Overall, the proposed control strategy provides a simple strategy to tune the control forces and reduces the number of sensors of the control system to the number of controlled stories.
seismic control;smart base isolated structures;piezoelectric friction dampers;multi-objective cuckoo search;PID controller
- Chen, G. and Chen, C. (2000), "Behavior of piezoelectric friction dampers under Dynamic loading", Proceedings of the SPIE-Smart structures and materials, 3988, 54-63.
- Chen, G. and Chen, C. (2004a), "Shaking table test of quarter-scale building model with piezoelectric friction dampers", Struct. Contr. Hlth. Monit., 11(4), 293-257.
- Chen, G. and Chen, C. (2004b), "Semi active control of the 20-Story benchmark building with piezoelectric friction dampers", J. Eng. Mech., 130(4), 393-400. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2004)130:4(393)
- Colajanni, P. and Papia, M. (1997), "Hysteretic characterization of friction-damped braced frames", J. Struct. Eng., 123(8), 1020-1028. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:8(1020)
- Etedali, S., Sohrabi, M.R. and Tavakoli, S. (2013a), "Optimal PD/PID control of smart base isolated buildings equipped with piezoelectric friction dampers", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 12(1), 39-54. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-013-0150-8
- Etedali, S., Sohrabi, M.R. and Tavakoli, S. (2013b), "An independent robust modal PID control approach for seismic control of buildings", J. Civ. Eng. Urban., 3(5), 279-291.
- Etedali, S. and Sohrabi, M.R. (2016), "A proposed approach to mitigate the torsional amplifications of asymmetric base-isolated buildings during earthquakes", KSCE J. Civ. Eng., 20(2), 768-776. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-015-0325-0
- Gaul, L. and Lenz, J. (1997), "Nonlinear dynamics of structures assembled by bolted joints", Acta Mechanica, 125(1), 169-181. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01177306
- Gaul, L. and Nitsche, R. (2001), "The role of friction in mechanical joints", Appl. Mech. Rev., 54(2), 93-106. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3097294
- Guclu, R. and Yazici, H. (2007), "Fuzzy-logic control of a non-linear structural system against earthquake induced vibration", J. Vib. Contr., 13(11), 1535-1551. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546307077663
- Guclu, R. and Yazici, H. (2009), "Seismic-vibration mitigation of a nonlinear structural System with an ATMD through a fuzzy PID controller", Nonlinear Dyn., 58(3), 553-564. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-009-9500-5
- He, W.L., Agrawal, A.K. and Yang, J.N. (2003), "Novel semi active friction controller for linear structures against earthquakes", J. Struct. Eng., 129(7), 941-950. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:7(941)
- Jangid, R.S. and Kelly, J.M. (2001), "Base isolation for near-fault motion", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30(5), 691-707. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.31
- Johnson, E.A., Ramallo, J.C., Spencer Jr, B.F. and Sain, M.K. (1998), "Intelligent base isolation systems", Proceedings Second World Conference on Structural Control, 1, 367-376.
- Kanai, K. (1961), "An empirical formula for the spectrum of strong earthquake motions", Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst., 39, 85-95.
- Li, J., Li, H. and Song, G. (2004), "Semi-active vibration suppression using piezoelectric friction dampers based on sub-optimal bang-bang control laws", 3rd China-Japan-US Symposium on Structural Health Monitoring and Control.
- Li, H. and Ou, J. (2006), "A design approaches for semi-active and smart base-isolated buildings", Struct. Contr. Hlth. Monit., 13(2-3), 660-681. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.104
- Lu, L.Y., Lin, C.C., Lin, G.L. and Lin, C.Y. (2010), "Experiment and analysis of a fuzzy-controlled piezoelectric seismic isolation system", J. Sound Vib., 329(11), 1992-2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2009.12.025
- Lu, L.Y. and Lin, G.L. (2009), "A theoretical study on piezoelectric smart isolation system for seismic protection of equipment in near-fault areas", J. Intel. Mater. Syst. Struct., 20(2), 217-232. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X08091120
- Morita, K., Fujita, T., Ise, S., Kawaguchi, K., Kamada, T. and Fujitani, H. (2001), "Development and application of induced strain actuators for building Structures", Proceedings of the SPIE-Smart structures and materials, 4330, 426-437.
- Mualla, I.H. and Belev, B. (2002), "Performance of steel frames with a new friction damper device under earthquake excitation", Eng. Struct., 24(3), 365-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00102-X
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of Seismic Isolated Structures from Theory to Practice, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd Edition.
- Nagarajaiah, S. and Narasimhan, S. (2006), "Smart base-isolated benchmark building part II: phase I, sample controllers for linear and friction isolation", Struct. Contr. Hlth. Monit., 13(2-3), 589-604. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.100
- Nagarajaiah, S. and Narasimhan, S. (2007), "Seismic control of smart base isolated buildings with new semi active variable damper", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 36(6), 729-749. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.650
- Narasimhan, S., Nagarajaiah, S., Johnson, E.A. and Gavin, H.P. (2006), "Smart base-isolated benchmark building part I: Problem definition", Struct. Contr. Hlth. Monit., 13(2-3), 573-588. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.99
- Ng, C.L. and XU, Y.L. (2007), "Semi-active control of a building complex with variable friction dampers", Eng. Struct., 29(6), 1209-1225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.08.007
- Ozbulut, O.E., Bitaraf, M. and Hurlebaus, S. (2011), "Adaptive control of base-isolated structures against near-field earthquakes using variable friction dampers", Eng. Struct., 33(12), 3143-3154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2011.08.022
- Ozbulut, O.E. and Hurlebaus, S. (2010), "Fuzzy control of piezoelectric friction dampers for seismic protection of smart base isolated buildings", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 8(6), 1435-1455. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-010-9187-5
- Rajabioun, R. (2011), "Cuckoo optimization algorithm", Appl.Soft Comput., 11(8), 5508-5518. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2011.05.008
- Shen, J., Tsai, M.H., Chang, K.C. and Lee, G.C. (2004), "Performance of a seismically isolated bridge under near-fault earthquake ground motions", J. Struct. Eng., 130(6), 861-868. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:6(861)
- Tavakoli, S. (2005), "Multivariable PID control with application to gas turbine engines", Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Sheffield, UK.
- Tavakoli, S., Griffin, I. and Fleming, P.J. (2006), "Tuning of decentralized PI (PID) controllers for TITO processes", Contr. Eng. Pract., 14(9), 1069-1080. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2005.06.006
- Valian, E., Tavakoli, S., Mohanna, S. and Haghi, A. (2013), "Improved cuckoo search for reliability optimization problems", Comput. Indust. Eng., 64(1), 459-468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2012.07.011
- Xu, Y.L, and Chen, B. (2008), "Integrated vibration control and health monitoring of building structures using semi-active friction dampers: Part I-methodology", Eng. Struct., 30(7), 1789-1801. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.11.013
- Yang, X.S. and Deb, S. (2009), "Cuckoo search via Levy flights", The World Congress on Nature & Biologically Inspired Computing (NaBIC), 210-214.
- Yang, X.S. and Deb, S. (2013), "Multi objective cuckoo search for design optimization", Comput. Operat. Res., 40(6), 1616-1624. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2011.09.026
- A new modified independent modal space control approach toward control of seismic-excited structures vol.15, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-017-0134-6
- Adaptive fractional order fuzzy proportional–integral–derivative control of smart base-isolated structures equipped with magnetorheological dampers 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X17721046
- A GBMO-based PI λ D μ controller for vibration mitigation of seismic-excited structures vol.87, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2017.12.005
- PD/PID Controller Design for Seismic Control of High-Rise Buildings Using Multi-Objective Optimization: A Comparative Study with LQR Controller vol.11, pp.03, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1142/S1793431117500099
- A hybrid LQR-PID control design for seismic control of buildings equipped with ATMD 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-016-0382-6
- Seismic Control of High-Rise Buildings Equipped with ATMD Including Soil-Structure Interaction Effects vol.12, pp.03, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S1793431118500100